Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:07 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jcatman
Wiki Link
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (Cnb.com/creditcardonline).
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓ membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by thegreatdonut View Post
I asked my relationship banker what are the requirements in order to open a checking account with them. They require more information than when was I applied for the credit card, which I found absurd that I need to provide such a large amount of information regarding my personal finance just in order to submit an application that may not be approved. Furthermore, I took my banker out to lunch to discuss the benefits of me leaving my current banks to them, and said kinda frankly that he wouldn't recommend it as there checking account is subpar compared to my current checking account.

So, unless my banker tells me that I need to open another account with them or my card will be closed, I don't think I will be depositing any money with them anytime soon.
That's kind of where I am. I'd be happy to lob banking business their way but my setup at Alliant is just too good/convenient. I'm not interested in abusing their card like some around here (I don't buy the AA gift cards, and my wife is the only AU) so I'm not really worried about having the account closed. I think the interchange rate for Visa Infinite ranges between 2 and 3 percent depending on the transaction... combined with the annual fee and whatever commission they make off of the travel bookings through their portals, I suspect that they are breaking even at worst, or perhaps making a few bucks on someone like me.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor View Post
Just a couple of fresh data points:

50K sign up bonus -- threshold charge met on 7/16/19, bonus posted sometime on 8/20 (though I don't see any reference to the actual sign up bonus transaction, just noticed that my account is 50K more today)
AA $250 eGC -- charged on 8/7, posted on 8/9/19, rebate posted on 8/20 (appeared today, 8/21)
Another DP:

GE transaction on 8/25, posted on 8/26. $100 rebate posted on 9/3.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:45 pm

I asked my relationship banker what are the requirements in order to open a checking account with them. They require more information than when was I applied for the credit card, which I found absurd that I need to provide such a large amount of information regarding my personal finance just in order to submit an application that may not be approved. Furthermore, I took my banker out to lunch to discuss the benefits of me leaving my current banks to them, and said kinda frankly that he wouldn't recommend it as there checking account is subpar compared to my current checking account.

So, unless my banker tells me that I need to open another account with them or my card will be closed, I don't think I will be depositing any money with them anytime soon.
Wow! That is one honest banker. Ive never heard of a banker not trying to solicit business. Hopefully hes not out of a job anytime too soon for his honesty.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
posted as specialty merchant, so looks like a nogo on mpx
Anyone try MPX Disney recently?
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:31 am
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post

Wow! That is one honest banker. Ive never heard of a banker not trying to solicit business. Hopefully hes not out of a job anytime too soon for his honesty.
The banker is paid to do his job. And he is not doing his job. So he does not deserve to be on the job. All employees should refrain from bad mouthing the employer. This is where the loyalty stands.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
The banker is paid to do his job. And he is not doing his job. So he does not deserve to be on the job. All employees should refrain from bad mouthing the employer. This is where the loyalty stands.
I don't know about that. At my business, we sometimes recommend that customers don't use our products or services, because they are just wrong for the customer, even if it means lost profit.

Doing the right thing can be right even if it's economically disadvantageous in the short term.
mia likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I don't know about that. At my business, we sometimes recommend that customers don't use our products or services, because they are just wrong for the customer, even if it means lost profit.

Doing the right thing can be right even if it's economically disadvantageous in the short term.
I do not know what "business" you are in. I can see that if you are in "medical business", then you have more responsibility since the wrong "medicine, equipment or treatment" can cause harm or death.

But what a standard type of checking or saving bank account can cause any harm to the bank customers? A good banker should just tell the customer all the features of the account and answer customer questions truthfully. It is up the customer to compare the offerings from another bank.

The banker should absolutely refrain of making derogatory remarks of its own account offers. This is unethical, disrespectful and disloyal to its employer. "Subpar" is clearly one of those remarks.

If someone is disloyal to its employer, the character of this person is called into question. He or she can be disloyal to the spouse or friends etc. I would not want to do business with this kind of people.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 7, 19 at 11:23 am
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post
Anyone try MPX Disney recently?
I believe the "MPX purchases posting as airline purchases" does not apply to Visa and MC; it's an Amex thing.
ymarker and akr1970akr like this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 12:43 pm

I do not know what "business" you are in. I can see that if you are in "medical business", then you have more responsibility since the wrong "medicine, equipment or treatment" can cause harm or death.

But what a standard type of checking or saving bank account can cause any harm to the bank customers? A good banker should just tell the customer all the features of the account and answer customer questions truthfully. It is up the customer to compare the offerings from another bank.

The banker should absolutely refrain of making derogatory remarks of its own account offers. This is unethical, disrespectful and disloyal to its employer. "Subpar" is clearly one of those remarks.

If someone is disloyal to its employer, the character of this person is called into question. He or she can be disloyal to the spouse or friends etc. I would not want to do business with this kind of people.
Well, we weren't there for the full conversation. But, sure, a checking account can be right for situation X and subpar for situation Y. Having a discerning rep explain why and color the comparison is invaluable, to me, and would typically endear me to that rep, and maybe even that company.

I think that's the way business is moving, a bit. Solely maximizing shareholder value has been in the news these days:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/19/b...porations.html

And, no, I'm not in the medical field.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:39 pm
Suspended

I do not want to continue the discussion along this line for the sake of arguing. I've seen so many of those and a lot people wan to show they are correct and all others are wrong. Sure, enjoy the argument.

I'm just surprised that such bad behavior from the banker has received support from other FT members. I guess the morality has really been damaged these days. Or there is none with some people.

If we all just take the benefits of this card and no one wants to give anything back, this CNB card will be shut down soon. Banks are in the business to make some money, not going to give away $1,000 and receive $400 in return, on a consistent basis.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:16 pm

I do not want to continue the discussion along this line for the sake of arguing. I've seen so many of those and a lot people wan to show they are correct and all others are wrong. Sure, enjoy the argument.

I'm just surprised that such bad behavior from the banker has received support from other FT members. I guess the morality has really been damaged these days. Or there is none with some people.

If we all just take the benefits of this card and no one wants to give anything back, this CNB card will be shut down soon. Banks are in the business to make some money, not going to give away $1,000 and receive $400 in return, on a consistent basis.
Morality? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

Take $1000? If that's directed at me, you have my usage pattern very, very wrong.
farwest101 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Platinum, Walk & Transit Scores 96
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
The 1990s website is going away... this makes me sad. I loved the old website.

Dear sullim4,
We are upgrading our systems and services to provide you with an even better credit card experience! This upgrade will begin on Thursday, September 19 and will be completed on Monday, September 23, 2019. Please be sure to read this email in its entirety so that you know what to expect and what actions you need to take.
Effective September 19, 2019, Credit Card Online will be discontinued and transitioned to City National Online where youll be able to manage your personal credit cards and more, in one convenient place.
To make this as seamless as possible, we will be transferring several of your existing account settings to City National Online.
IMPORTANT: If you are not already registered for City National Online, you must register with a new user ID and password by Thursday, September 19 to ensure the smooth transition of your credit card account settings to City National Online. See below for details about specific features and settings.
I immediately attempted to migrate to the new login on 8/27, but the site was "unable to verify my identity" based on the info I gave. They sent me this e-mail:

Dear GoAmtrak,

The information you provided must be verified before we complete your enrollment. We will notify you within 1 business day on the status of your request.

If you have any questions or concerns about our enrollment, please call us immediately at the number below.

Sincerely,
City National Bank

NEED HELP? PLEASE CALL (800) 887-1290
I haven't heard a peep since. Debating whether I should just wait it out until 9/19, or bite the bullet and call now in case they're inundated. Super asinine process.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:13 pm

Rumor on reddit is that this card going to kill the $250 reimbursement per card on your account, go to $350 reimbursement total, implement AF on AU cards, and kill SUB.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
Rumor on reddit is that this card going to kill the $250 reimbursement per card on your account, go to $350 reimbursement total, implement AF on AU cards, and kill SUB.
Can you link me to that?
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:31 pm

Can you link me to that?
https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2019/ezxaqke/

Search this Thread