Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:17 pm

IRRC the PP recipients are chosen in the application form. If you want to make any changes to that you need to talk to your banker.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:12 pm

Any concern that the airline fee reimbursements will process differently under the new website?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

That was my first thought when I got the email yesterday. Not sure if the website change means they are also upgrading their backend. Let's hope not
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by jags86

I applied on 7/26 and the AF was charged on 7/31. I received 1 Priority Pass card for the primary user on 8/24. I didn’t order it, just showed up. I don’t know how to order the 2nd PP card.

How were you able to get 5 total cards?
Joint application, so wife and I both have a card and then 3 authorized users. Weird how I haven't received the annual fee charge. Maybe the new 30k bonus has the annual fee waived?
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by acefspadez
Joint application, so wife and I both have a card and then 3 authorized users. Weird how I haven't received the annual fee charge. Maybe the new 30k bonus has the annual fee waived?

i haven’t been charged the annual fee either. Applied 7/30 when the offer was 50K.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:59 am

They process just fine.
jacisme likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

i haven’t been charged the annual fee either. Applied 7/30 when the offer was 50K.
It will post around your second billing period. It took a while for my AF to post.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by acefspadez
When is the annual fee supposed to post on the account? I applied (joint application) on July 29 but did not get approved until Aug 2. I still do not see the annual fee posted in my transaction history. I received all 5 cards on August 8, but have not received the priority pass cards. How long did it take for the PP to come?
I think the AF is posted on the final day of the month you are approved for cardmembership. So I would expect the annual fee to be charged on 8/31 (or perhaps 8/30 or 9/3 given that 8/31 is a weekend, and the few following days are off due to the labor day holiday).
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
The cnb.com website is atrocious. How could anyone think this is an upgrade from the credit care website is beyond me.

It takes 20-25 seconds to load your card account. Then another 20-25 seconds to load your transactions. And it’s not even updated in real time...sometimes it will go days before updating transactions. Oof.
arkistan and jrc87 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:01 am

I am curious about this. Were you successful in receiving 5 cards? Do you get the $250 credit and the Globel Entry credit on all 5 cards?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
No Justin, you do not.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Justin Volzer
I am curious about this. Were you successful in receiving 5 cards? Do you get the $250 credit and the Globel Entry credit on all 5 cards?
Keep in mind that the card is a loss leader for City National. If they do not make money off of you, or entice you to bring additional assets over to the bank, you may find that they do not renew your card down the road. This is not a Citi or a Chase. Your banker will review your account from time to time.
akr1970akr and GobiFox like this.

Last edited by TTT103; Sep 1, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
No Justin, you do not.
Which 4 cards get the credit?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by TTT103

Keep in mind that the card is a loss leader for City National. If they do not make money off of you, or entice you to bring additional assets over to the bank, you may find that they do not renew your card down the road. This is not a Citi or a Chase. Your banker will review your account from time to time.
Yup, TTT103 is right. The bankers are very acutely aware of which customers are profitable and which products they use. They're not heavy handed time shares salesguys or anything, but its not the CNB Charity for Churners. If you value the card and its potential, suggest finding some way of doing good biz with CNB. For many, its probably easy enough to share some of your core banking activity with them. I wouldn't say their a tech leader in any of the product lines, but its all functional enough, and most people just need basic banking functions - savings/checking/bill pay/etc.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Yup, TTT103 is right. The bankers are very acutely aware of which customers are profitable and which products they use. They're not heavy handed time shares salesguys or anything, but its not the CNB Charity for Churners. If you value the card and its potential, suggest finding some way of doing good biz with CNB. For many, its probably easy enough to share some of your core banking activity with them. I wouldn't say their a tech leader in any of the product lines, but its all functional enough, and most people just need basic banking functions - savings/checking/bill pay/etc.
I asked my relationship banker what are the requirements in order to open a checking account with them. They require more information than when was I applied for the credit card, which I found absurd that I need to provide such a large amount of information regarding my personal finance just in order to submit an application that may not be approved. Furthermore, I took my banker out to lunch to discuss the benefits of me leaving my current banks to them, and said kinda frankly that he wouldn't recommend it as there checking account is subpar compared to my current checking account.

So, unless my banker tells me that I need to open another account with them or my card will be closed, I don't think I will be depositing any money with them anytime soon.
Dr_wanderlust likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.