Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New Best Western Credit Cards - up to 80k Points for $3k spend

Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
As of January 12, 2021:

There are two versions of this card in the US, both issued by First Bankcard / First National Bank of Omaha:

Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard
  • 10 points/$ at BW hotels, 2 points/$ everywhere else
  • Automatic Platinum Status
  • Anniversary Bonus: 40,000 points will be posted 4-8 weeks after the 12th complete billing cycle each year, when a total of at least $5000 is spend on the card within those 12 billing cycles
  • There are a number of other "perks" listed but those seem to be tied to the Platinum status or are available to any Rewards member
  • $89 annual fee
Best Western Rewards Mastercard
  • 3points/$ at BW hotels, 2 points/$ everywhere else
  • Automatic Gold Status
  • Anniversary Bonus: 20,000 points will be posted 4-8 weeks after the 12th complete billing cycle each year, when a total of at least $5000 is spend on the card within those 12 billing cycles
  • There are a number of other "perks" listed but those seem to be tied to the Gold status or are available to any Rewards member
  • No annual fee
There is apparently no business version of this card currently available.

Current signup offers:
Main landing page

Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard, 80k points after $3000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles, $89 annual fee NOT waived first year:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/landin...cardpage1.html

Best Western Rewards Mastercard, 40k points after $1000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles, no annual fee:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/landin...cardpage2.html

Historical information:

As of 9/1/17:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe...-cc-_-ccoffers

The Rewards Mastercard offers 16,000 bonus points after first purchase
(plus an additional 16,000 points on first stay).
There is no annual fee.

The Premium Rewards Mastercard offers 50,000 bonus points after $1,000 spend within first 3 months
(plus an additional 20,000 bonus points when you spend at least $5,000 during each 12-month billing cycle period).
The $59 annual fee is waived the first year.
__________________________________________________ _____________

The Rewards Business Mastercard offers 48,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within first 90 days.
There is no annual fee.
https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe....fhtml?sub=010
__________________________________________________ _____________

These cards are issued by First Bankcard, a division of First National Bank of Omaha.

Print Wikipost

New Best Western Credit Cards - up to 80k Points for $3k spend

Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:33 pm

Any idea what triggers the 16,000 points after first stay for the Rewards Mastercard? I have a stay coming up where I was planning on using a BW travel card for the full amount of the reservation, so I'm not sure if its actually tied to your first stay through your BW account, or if its based on getting an amount charged to the card.

If its based on a best western purchase then could I go in and purchase a gift card from a best western to receive the points?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Any idea what triggers the 16,000 points after first stay for the Rewards Mastercard? I have a stay coming up where I was planning on using a BW travel card for the full amount of the reservation, so I'm not sure if its actually tied to your first stay through your BW account, or if its based on getting an amount charged to the card.

If its based on a best western purchase then could I go in and purchase a gift card from a best western to receive the points?
Your answer is in the wiki. You "earn" 16K points after you charge $1000 to the card. You don't have to stay in a BW property, just charge $1000 to the card. After that, you'll be awarded 16000 pts.

If you apply for the Premium card you'll receive 50K pts after charging $1000 to the card. I'd go for this card.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Any idea what triggers the 16,000 points after first stay for the Rewards Mastercard?
The T&C state: "16,000 Points can be earned when the first Net Purchase is posted to the Account" and
"Another 16,000 Points can be earned when the first Best Western Purchase is posted to the Account"
with "Best Western Purchase" being defined as a purchase that is a "qualifying room night purchase"
(in other words, paying for a stay).
Buying a Best Western gift card would not likely qualify for earning the additional 16,000 points.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muji
The T&C state: "16,000 Points can be earned when the first Net Purchase is posted to the Account" and
"Another 16,000 Points can be earned when the first Best Western Purchase is posted to the Account"
with "Best Western Purchase" being defined as a purchase that is a "qualifying room night purchase"
(in other words, paying for a stay).
Buying a Best Western gift card would not likely qualify for earning the additional 16,000 points.
Thanks. This is clearer, and more correct, than my answer.

https://www.firstnational.com/dynapp/dynamic.app has the full info.

But I would NOT apply for the NO annual fee card. The fee card (fee waived the 1st year) is superior. See https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe....fhtml?sub=010 It gives you 50K pts after spending $1000 and an extra 30K when you hit $5K in spend.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by philemer

But I would NOT apply for the NO annual fee card. The fee card (fee waived the 1st year) is superior.
Agreed.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Just a data point ....

I applied for the premium card and was rejected due to too many enquiries. Called back and pointed out i had received an invitation by mail. Reconsidered and approved.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
One more data point: Approved for this card last month. I'm at 11/24, but no new apps since 9/16.

Any idea on how long it takes for the points to hit your best western account after the statement closes?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Responding to my own question: The points hit my account about 2 days after the statement closed.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks. This is clearer, and more correct, than my answer.

https://www.firstnational.com/dynapp/dynamic.app has the full info.

But I would NOT apply for the NO annual fee card. The fee card (fee waived the 1st year) is superior. See https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe....fhtml?sub=010 It gives you 50K pts after spending $1000 and an extra 30K when you hit $5K in spend.

You mean an extra 20K?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, i tried applying for the BW business card, but despite it being called a business card, it seems to be more of a corporate card. It's the FNBO "corporate accounts" department that turned me down for "unable to verify the business address" (when I gave my name as business name, my address as business address), etc. (And I already have a BW personal card, auto-converted from the Barclay card, and they've sent me stuff, including the card itself, at the same address before.)

he goofy online business card application does't let you specify that you have zero or near-zero business income (I guess they're not interested in such businesses), only "1 million or less" vs "over 1 million"! (As soon as I saw that, I figured my chances were slim.)

Then I turned around and applied for the Marriott business card from Chase, and got approved in a week and a half.

So FNBO business cards seem to really be way tougher to get than business cards from most other banks (I've had easy business approvals with no "real" business from Citi, BofA, Amex, and now Chase).

(I'm applying only for business cards, from banks that don't report business cards to credit bureaus, in an effort to get below 5/24 for Chase. The Chase Marriott Business Visa is not subject to 5/24, that's the only reason I was able to apply for it now, since I'm still way over 5/24.)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
You mean an extra 20K?
Yes, I meant an extra 20K. Not impressed by any of the BW cards though.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:46 am

Here is the fine print for the 20K. I take it to mean that one has to have the card for 12 billing cycles and then pay the AF since points post 4 to 8 weeks at the end of the qualification period. EARN 20,000 BONUS POINTS ANNUALLYIn addition to the above, an additional 20,000 Points during each Qualification Period (see definition below) if $5,000.00 or more in Net Purchases is posted to the Account within that Qualification Period. The Bonus Points will be added to the Account 4 to 8 weeks after the end of the applicable Qualification Period.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Any updates on the business version of this card? I can't even find a valid link to apply anymore.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Any updates on the business version of this card? I can't even find a valid link to apply anymore.
Even a google search gives a link that doesn't work.

Keep in mind tho, that it was not quite a regular "business" card. They called it a "corporate" card, and it's the only business card I've ever been instantly denied for (applying with myself as the business) because they said they "couldn't verify my business address". Their business card application form was way worse than any other bank I've seen. They didn't seem to want small businesses, just big "corporate" travel accounts.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Has anyone been tracking offers on these cards?

There have been some minor changes to these cards over the past few years so I updated the wiki with the latest information.

Has anyone been tracking offers over time? The current offer of 80k is better than I expected and it looks like the anniversary bonus has been increased. Wondering if there have been periodic boosts in the signup offers that anyone has noticed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.