Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New Best Western Credit Cards - up to 80k Points for $3k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
As of January 12, 2021:

There are two versions of this card in the US, both issued by First Bankcard / First National Bank of Omaha:

Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard
  • 10 points/$ at BW hotels, 2 points/$ everywhere else
  • Automatic Platinum Status
  • Anniversary Bonus: 40,000 points will be posted 4-8 weeks after the 12th complete billing cycle each year, when a total of at least $5000 is spend on the card within those 12 billing cycles
  • There are a number of other "perks" listed but those seem to be tied to the Platinum status or are available to any Rewards member
  • $89 annual fee
Best Western Rewards Mastercard
  • 3points/$ at BW hotels, 2 points/$ everywhere else
  • Automatic Gold Status
  • Anniversary Bonus: 20,000 points will be posted 4-8 weeks after the 12th complete billing cycle each year, when a total of at least $5000 is spend on the card within those 12 billing cycles
  • There are a number of other "perks" listed but those seem to be tied to the Gold status or are available to any Rewards member
  • No annual fee
There is apparently no business version of this card currently available.

Current signup offers:
Main landing page

Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard, 80k points after $3000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles, $89 annual fee NOT waived first year:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/landin...cardpage1.html

Best Western Rewards Mastercard, 40k points after $1000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles, no annual fee:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/landin...cardpage2.html

Historical information:

As of 9/1/17:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe...-cc-_-ccoffers

The Rewards Mastercard offers 16,000 bonus points after first purchase
(plus an additional 16,000 points on first stay).
There is no annual fee.

The Premium Rewards Mastercard offers 50,000 bonus points after $1,000 spend within first 3 months
(plus an additional 20,000 bonus points when you spend at least $5,000 during each 12-month billing cycle period).
The $59 annual fee is waived the first year.
__________________________________________________ _____________

The Rewards Business Mastercard offers 48,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within first 90 days.
There is no annual fee.
https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe....fhtml?sub=010
__________________________________________________ _____________

These cards are issued by First Bankcard, a division of First National Bank of Omaha.

Print Wikipost

New Best Western Credit Cards - up to 80k Points for $3k spend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
Did they offer any explanation? Did you ask?
Probably too many recent inquiries. FNBO are known to be inquiry sensitive.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Probably too many recent inquiries. FNBO are known to be inquiry sensitive.
And they use Experian, which is the bureau that Amex. Chase, Citi, BOA, and US all use most often. Barclays is the exception using TU.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
Did they offer any explanation? Did you ask?
Yup. I had opened a Chase card a couple of months back, so too many recent applications for credit. From what I'm reading about this bank, I shouldn't have wasted my time. They're pretty rough.
While I don't particularly care for Wyndham properties, my wife and I have their credit cards and have accumulated some points (50K @) in those cases where they're the only show in town.

Last edited by general45; May 1, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old May 1, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by general45
Yup. I had opened a Chase card a couple of months back, so too many recent applications for credit.
I've opened four new accounts since the start of 2015. Another reason not to apply.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by general45
I have a 39 year history of credit card usage where I have paid each and every bill in full monthly, never been late with a payment and have a house that is paid in full. I currently have a credit rating in the high 700's/low 800's. A few years ago My score was in the mid 700's.
When I saw the Best Western offer yesterday I decided I wanted to add this card to my hotel portfolio. B.W. properties are everywhere and they do have some properties that are perfectly acceptable for my travel requirements. I received a rejection and when I called they're reconsideration line, was rejected again. Keep in mind that I have always applied for and received cards through AMEX, Chase, Citi, USBANK and Barclays.
I don't know what FNBO's underwriting requirements happen to be, but I'll never waste another second filling out one of their applications. I would definitely use BW but only if I have a card to earn points in they're program. Best Western couldn't have chosen a worse company to promote their branded credit card. They'll also never see me in one of their hotels. I believe La Quinta uses the same bank. Save your hard credit pulls for other offers.
Interesting story, general, and your credit and financial situation are eerily similar to mine. I applied for the La Quinta card on Monday evening, due to the availability of LQ hotels in smaller markets and their liberal pet policy. There was scant info on FNBO here on Flyertalk and the most info I was able to find was on myFicoforums. The story told over there was that every credit app is manually reviewed before a decision is made; waiting 7 to 10 days for a decision was common. Imagine my surprise when I received an instantaneous approval after 30 seconds and a confirming email the next morning. They pulled Experian. Some folks on myFico rave about the service and other offers that become available to clients once you are "in". We shall see. The only other data point I have to offer is that my last previous hard pull was in November 2013 for the Club Carlson Visa (cancelled last November because I wasn't fond of the hotels), so that may be the difference. As others have noted here and on myFico, FNBO seems to have an aversion to recent inquiries.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:29 pm

I was just approved for an Amex PRG card. 1K spend yields 50K MR points. MR points transfer to Best Western at a 1:1 ratio. Understand not everyone receives this offer. I got it when I went on the Amex site and clicked personal cards. I went down the list of cards. Below the PRG card they indicated this was a special offer that may not be there the next time I go onto their site.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I rarely stay at BW so I don't have a strong feel for what their points are worth. Just now, though, I just made several spot comparisons of cash rates vs. points rates for places I'm traveling in the next few months. I found points values ranging between 0.4 ~ 0.67cpp. That's too poor a value to justify spending $5k for a 50k bonus. There are better offers out there. Unless you're already a BW regular and this is icing on your cake, as sdsearch put it.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:27 am

Woo, just know about this.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by eajusa
And they use Experian, which is the bureau that Amex. Chase, Citi, BOA, and US all use most often. Barclays is the exception using TU.
Don't bet on it. This is all based on where you live. For me, Citi always pulls TU. In fact, they all do except BoA and Amex.

Sounds like FCNB is like USBank. I had a heck of a time getting a Club Carlson card.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PHLisa
Don't bet on it. This is all based on where you live. For me, Citi always pulls TU. In fact, they all do except BoA and Amex.

Sounds like FCNB is like USBank. I had a heck of a time getting a Club Carlson card.
I'm surprised to read your post. I never knew that a bank would pull from a different bureau for people who are living in different cities, but the same state. Unless, you live in Philadelphia, MS?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:53 pm

New style operation chain hotel which is worth to give a try : )
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by PHLisa
Are you sure some of those banks are not pulling both? Chase and Citi both pull TU and EX where I live. Amex and BOA pull only EX, Barclays pull only TU. Have you checked EX, or did you just see the TU, and assume no EX pull was made?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
I'm surprised to read your post. I never knew that a bank would pull from a different bureau for people who are living in different cities, but the same state. Unless, you live in Philadelphia, MS?
Is Philadelphia unique in this respect?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:19 pm

I'm in Philadelphia/New Jersey area and everyone BUT Citi & Amex pulls TU on me
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like BW has improved all three types of cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.