Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nall
I, too, received both of those emails the next day and my account still shows a red card and the benefits of it. I'm presuming it will update after the next billing cycle.
And would you presume that your silver benefits are already in effect? I suppose I can book the flights and then request the extra points later should I not receive them.

-S
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by maxswanson
I have already got 10k EQM from AA executive card by spending $40k. If I spend another $40k on silver card, can I get another EQM.
Per AA.com, the answer is yes - you can receive 10k EQM per year per issuing bank, so you can get 20k EQM between the two different kinds of cards.

Originally Posted by SonP
And would you presume that your silver benefits are already in effect? I suppose I can book the flights and then request the extra points later should I not receive them.
I am guessing no, but if you need to book something and don't get the 3x points, you could complain and might get them anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Based on a customer service manager who was at least one iota less clueless than the others, it's being done in anniversary date order.

My anniversary date is in December. I'd be interested in hearing about acceptance/denial of upgrade request along with anniversary month.

BTW, I am eligible for the 10k annual bonus (as someone above thought it would be worth detailing that). I am not currently eligible to upgrade.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:51 am

Called today to upgrade. I was giving the benefits of the Silver card right away. Follow with a quick T&C and asked for permission for her to upgrade me. I asked her two questions. First, does the 50% bonus miles (March-June) promotion will be honored and second will all my spending for this year carry over. She put me on hold to find out. On her findings she said that bonus promotion will continued and I will get my miles 6-8 weeks after June 30th. Second that for EQM and Companion Certificate the spending will start after my next billing cycle (when all the Silver benefits will kick in). Anything spent prior will not count towards them. It will take 7-10 business days to get new card and I have until first week of August to revert everything back to Red. My anniversary was back in January, received Red card in May and I don't get 10k anniversary mile on this card.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
I've called in a few times to request upgrades to silver since June. According to my last call they said my card has to have been open for a year before upgrading. Has anyone else heard something like this?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Received red card, activated, called to upgrade again, they could not do it. I really think if you already had your anniversary this year that you are not going to be able to upgrade.

They of course had no clue as to why some people could upgrade and some could not, just that it isn't in their account yet.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:22 pm

Tried upgrading today and was denied. My anniversary was this past March. I received the red aviator early June. As others stated, rep on phone has no clue why I am not eligible.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
SM Customer Care, still canned message about upgrading when merger is complete in 2nd Quarter. Looks like we may have to wait until next year.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Based on a customer service manager who was at least one iota less clueless than the others, it's being done in anniversary date order.

My anniversary date is in December. I'd be interested in hearing about acceptance/denial of upgrade request along with anniversary month.
Just recently got upgrade eligibility on a card whose anniversary is end of October / beginning of November.

Originally Posted by TReckoner
I've called in a few times to request upgrades to silver since June. According to my last call they said my card has to have been open for a year before upgrading. Has anyone else heard something like this?
I don't think this is true, as I and other one poster have successfully upgraded cards less than a year old. That said...

Originally Posted by Raek
Tried upgrading today and was denied. My anniversary was this past March. I received the red aviator early June. As others stated, rep on phone has no clue why I am not eligible.
Front line agents seem to have no idea why someone is eligible or not.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It seems that we have conflict report about spending with old card can or cannot count for EQM spending. Please post your result.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
Originally Posted by SonP

-S
4 days after the final date it was supposed to upgrade online, I contacted them.....still in the Philippines. The guy seemed very knowledgeable and efficient.

He claimed that even though I got e-mails with an earlier starting date, the account will not upgrade until it upgrades online and any benefits, such as the immigration/$100/reimburse/global entry fee credit are not available until this happens. I told him I got an e-mail 2 weeks ago with the fee credit noted and available. He said if I did it, I would have to "prove" this and a credit would be given in that case.

I also brought up the fact that part of the "silver" benefit is a US based customer service (I did this in a non confrontational manner)..........he had no answer.............saying calls are routed by their "system"............??....not the level of card.

Barclay's continues to look like a very haphazard operation and possibly they flip a coin to decide whether you get upgraded....or not.

Received 2 weeks ago exactly;

Your new upgraded AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® benefits are ready to go!
You will now begin earning1:

— 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways® and American Airlines® purchases
— 2X miles for every dollar spent on select hotel and car rental purchases
— 1X miles for every dollar spent on purchases everywhere else MasterCard® is accepted

Within one week, you can begin enjoying the following additional benefits2:

— 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles: Receive 5,000 EQMs for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
— Annual Companion Certificate: Earn an annual companion certificate good for up to two guests to travel with you on an American Airlines operated flight for $99 each (taxes and fees apply) after you spend $30,000 or more in purchases since your last account anniversary and maintain your cardmembership
— Global Entry Application Fee Credit: Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction. With this benefit, you can receive one $100 application fee credit once every five years.

Your new card will have the same account number and expiration date. Once you receive your new card, follow the simple activation instructions. We hope you enjoy your new, upgraded benefits!

Note; he also said I was not receiving a new card, just use the old one. I told him I would rather not. He claimed to order a new "silver" card.

Last edited by ZetaToplover; Jun 23, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
I also brought up the fact that part of the "silver" benefit is a US based customer service (I did this in a non confrontational manner)..........he had no answer.............saying calls are routed by their "system"............??....not the level of card.
Is there perhaps a different servicing number for Silver cards?

Last edited by nall; Jun 23, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: Lufthansa
Originally Posted by nall
Is there perhaps a different servicing number for Silver cards?
There may/probably be. It is most likely on the card itself, one reason I asked for a new "Silver" card. The agent would not/could not divulge the "Silver" customer service number, even though he stated I was now "Silver" (albeit without a "Silver card and questioning what benefits are actually in place).

I must say, I have never had anything like this happen before in many years of dealing with cc companies. I believe (but may be wrong) that it has something to do with the pass off to a foreign call center. This particular agent spoke English well and was polite and friendly. He had no "personal" agenda. I believe he was passing on what he was told or knew from working at the center.

As I stated before, this seems to be a "lesser product" when you compare what is going on here and Citi, Chase or even the smaller bank card servicing agents.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:27 pm

Datapoint:

US Air card was opened in December 2014. Total spending was less than $100.

Called Barclay yesterday to request an upgrade to Silver. Rep said my acct. was eligible, so I accepted the new terms she read to me and let her go head to process the upgrade.

She told me new card would arrive in two weeks. All spending before the next billing cycle would not count towards the spending threshold on the new card.

I'm going for the potential EQM earning from Silver (5k EQM after 20k spending, up to 10k EQM). This is in addition to another 10k EQM from Citi AA Exec.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lz80521
All spending before the next billing cycle would not count towards the spending threshold on the new card.
Well that's not encouraging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.