Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by LHCVG
IIRC from previous threads/posts, those with the 10k card can upgrade to a Silver and continue to get the 10K. The issue SEEMS to be changing your card AWAY from an Aviator, which would in effect "break" the benefits. Apologies if that's mistaken obviously.
No, the perpetual 10K offer does seem to cause problems for those wanting to upgrade. I've been able to upgrade a card that had one single 10K renewal bonus.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yeah, I don't think many/any people have been able to upgrade with the 10k bonus. Those people who had the update appear probably would have had it by calling it anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by nall
No, the perpetual 10K offer does seem to cause problems for those wanting to upgrade. I've been able to upgrade a card that had one single 10K renewal bonus.
Well that would certainly reduce the value of the upgrade for most of us! I would think the 10k would be more valuable to most card users than the additional bennies of the Silver given the higher AF, so Barclays is likely losing out on a good chunk of AF revenue.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by LHCVG
So does your Barclays account page not show the box with "Upgrade your benefits" or similar? Wanted to clarify if you simply did not receive a pro-active upgrade offer FROM Barclays or if you don't even see the upgrade link on your account at all.

IIRC from previous threads/posts, those with the 10k card can upgrade to a Silver and continue to get the 10K. The issue SEEMS to be changing your card AWAY from an Aviator, which would in effect "break" the benefits. Apologies if that's mistaken obviously.
I have an "Upgrade to Silver" link as well on the Barclays account page.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Yeah, I don't think many/any people have been able to upgrade with the 10k bonus. Those people who had the update appear probably would have had it by calling it anyway.
I was one of the first upgrades from this wave, and I had called in to confirm that I would retain my one time 10k bonus, which the representative confirmed. I then wrote in with a secure message to have it in writing, and they also confirmed it.

The strange thing is that when I had the Red card, I could see the 10k listed as a benefit in my rewards details. With the Silver card, I can't see any reference to it. I'm not too worried, though, since I have double confirmation, one of which is written and available to me.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by Phantom707
The strange thing is that when I had the Red card, I could see the 10k listed as a benefit in my rewards details. With the Silver card, I can't see any reference to it. I'm not too worried, though, since I have double confirmation, one of which is written and available to me.
At the risk of going "apples to oranges", I still use the Chase MileagePlus Select card, which was last offered 5+ years ago (or so) and I still get all the bennies like the 5k annual bonus and all that no sweat. So there is no structural reason Barclays can't necessarily set up their system the same way.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I have an "Upgrade to Silver" link as well on the Barclays account page.

I was able to upgrade my account online today as well. Card should arrive in about two weeks.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Spoke to level 2 support analyst today, she was 99.9% sure that I would be able to upgrade to Silver by the end of the year. She said it was definitely the 10k bonus miles on my account causing the issue.

She said she takes 100 calls a day and only a handful ever have that promotion.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Looks like I got credit for my YTD spend

I just logged in my account and it's now a Silver card and I saw this cool tracker:

Your Benefits Tracker

Companion Certificate
Current Anniversary Period (12/01/14 - 11/30/15)

You've spent $24,906.30

$0- $30,000

Elite Qualifying Miles
Current Period (01/01/15 - 12/31/15)

You've earned 5,000 EQMs
You've spent $23,707.30 (don't know why it's different than the 1st number?)

$20,000
5,000 EQMs
$40,000
10,000 EQMs

It looks like I got credit for my YTD spend on the US Air/Red Aviator card and there will be absolutely no doubt as to where I am as far as the # I need to hit companion certificate or EQM number. Nice.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:45 pm

I can explain why the spend amounts are different. Companion certificate is calculated on spend from Anniversary date to Anniversary date. EQMs are calculated based on the calendar year spend. So unless your anniversary date is January 1, they are going to be different.

Last edited by 466SHH; Aug 8, 2015 at 7:46 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:20 am

Apologies if I've missed it, is there any current info about maintaining the 10k annual bonus with upgrading to silver?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Apologies if I've missed it, is there any current info about maintaining the 10k annual bonus with upgrading to silver?
I have been told in writing that it will not. But I've also been told that no one with the 10k annual bonus is allowed to upgrade and that once that barrier gets lifted the annual bonus *might* persist. Who knows...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
where to find that? thanks!

never mind, find it.

Originally Posted by SJLandsverk
I just logged in my account and it's now a Silver card and I saw this cool tracker:

Your Benefits Tracker

Companion Certificate
Current Anniversary Period (12/01/14 - 11/30/15)

You've spent $24,906.30

$0- $30,000

Elite Qualifying Miles
Current Period (01/01/15 - 12/31/15)

You've earned 5,000 EQMs
You've spent $23,707.30 (don't know why it's different than the 1st number?)

$20,000
5,000 EQMs
$40,000
10,000 EQMs

It looks like I got credit for my YTD spend on the US Air/Red Aviator card and there will be absolutely no doubt as to where I am as far as the # I need to hit companion certificate or EQM number. Nice.

Last edited by maxswanson; Aug 11, 2015 at 1:49 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:09 am

I have the 10k benefit and keep hitting a brick wall with trying to upgrade, although Barclays has never identified that as the problem. They just keep telling me I'm not eligible. I could really use the EQM this year, but the later we get, the harder $40k is going to be for me to achieve. I don't want to give up the 10k bonus each year, but if they don't get this sorted by September, I likely will just be out of luck even if I wanted to give up the 10k per year.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by lkar
I could really use the EQM this year, but the later we get, the harder $40k is going to be for me to achieve. I don't want to give up the 10k bonus each year, but if they don't get this sorted by September, I likely will just be out of luck even if I wanted to give up the 10k per year.
Not sure if you are aware but based on others' posts it appears that calendar year spend on the card prior to a Silver upgrade will count toward the EQM bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.