Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
-You do have to make at least the minimum payment each month to maintain the 0% interest offer. It's wise to either make a large initial payment to help bring your credit back up or at least divide the total transferred debt (plus the fee Chase will charge you which can be anywhere from 2% to 6%) by 15 and make that payment so you pay off that debt by the end of the 15 month period. Chase currently has a 0% fee offer with the Slate card if you initiate the transfer within 60 days of card approval.
-You usually can do the transfer online which is faster than using the checks many banks send with their new cards for balance transfers. Should be no issues. If you need paper checks ask about them before applying just to make sure.
-Your credit will be effected with the new card as you'll have a hard pull recorded and a new line of credit extended to you. If you were to max out or mostly use your new credit you'll again take a hit as your credit line utilization for that card and overall credit utilization will go up. Generally this large dip will be short lived if you don't use the majority of the credit line and/or make a large initial payment at first to reduce the utilization.
-Balance transfers don't count towards points or bonuses. The low or no interest is the benefit.
-Discover was very generous to me when I got them. I got a $10k initial credit line with an 18 month 0% offer (with a 3% fee) and they continue to make these offers to me over the past several years and increase my credit line too without me requesting.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Best 0% Balance Transfer Card?

Just realized I spent $3.5k more than I can afford this month... I have 1 month to come up with that money, and I don't think I'll be able to.

I own alot of the major credit cards mentioned on here... so I might already own one that is good for balance transfers. I think I could pay that $3.5k off in 4 or 5 months.

Which card is the best for 0% Balance Transfers?

Many thanks
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
@sikorloa Check your current cards for balance transfer options. Citi, Cap1 & Discover send me offers at least twice a month and online they're also available. I've found that Cap1 & Discover tend to offer better terms compared to Citi. Barclays are a joke.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Why is Barclaycard a “joke”? Barclaycard routinely offers me 6 to 8 months at 0% with only a 1% BT fee.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:44 am

Last offer I got from Barclays was 12 months 0% with a 5% fee. Been getting that one for past two years which is almost the whole time I've been with Barclays which is relatively short compared to the other cards I carry. The offer you got is not bad for a short balance payoff. Discover offered me 18 months 0% with 2% fee but I have been with them for awhile now.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Why is Barclaycard a “joke”? Barclaycard routinely offers me 6 to 8 months at 0% with only a 1% BT fee.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
@sikorloa Check your current cards for balance transfer options. Citi, Cap1 & Discover send me offers at least twice a month and online they're also available. I've found that Cap1 & Discover tend to offer better terms compared to Citi. Barclays are a joke.
Thanks Yoshi - I have cards from Amex, Citi, Chase, Barclay, US Bank, and B of A - the $3.5k debt is on a Bank of America card (Alaska Airlines).

I have the Capital 1 Venture, however it's for my small business (different EIN number). Could I transfer it to that card? Or would that be a bad idea (since my debt is my personal debt? Not sure it would matter...).

Don't have any discover cards - I will check out the Cap 1

I also get balance transfer offers all the time, I just shred them though lol. I just got one yesterday, from B of A though - so I don't think I can transfer B of A debt to BofA balance transfer. I'll call them to check though.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

PS - could I theoretically use a 6 month Balance Transfer offer, and before the % APR kicks in, I could transfer it to another Balance Transfer offer, to have more time to pay it off?

Last edited by sikorloa; Feb 6, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:14 pm

Bolding is mine.
Originally Posted by sikorloa
Thanks Yoshi - I have cards from Amex, Citi, Chase, Barclay, US Bank, and B of A - the $3.5k debt is on a Bank of America card (Alaska Airlines).

I have the Capital 1 Venture, however it's for my small business (different EIN number). Could I transfer it to that card? Or would that be a bad idea (since my debt is my personal debt? Not sure it would matter...).

Don't have any discover cards - I will check out the Cap 1

I also get balance transfer offers all the time, I just shred them though lol. I just got one yesterday, from B of A though - so I don't think I can transfer B of A debt to BofA balance transfer. I'll call them to check though.
Generally you cannot transfer a balance from one account with a bank to another. A workaround is sometimes Banks attach these offers to physical checks that specifically allow a person to write themselves a check to deposit into a checking account. Those funds can then be used to pay the balance on the higher balance account.
Check your online account too. I've found matching, and sometimes additional, offers online to make the process faster.
Again, thanks for the suggestions!

PS - could I theoretically use a 6 month Balance Transfer offer, and before the % APR kicks in, I could transfer it to another Balance Transfer offer, to have more time to pay it off?
Theoretically yes. But remember that each time you transfer the fee for said transfer gets included.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Bolding is mine.
Thanks Yoshi -

Regarding the checks, I actually got one of those from BofA for a 0% Balance Transfer until April 2019.

I called a rep and they said "no balance transfers within the bank, we only accept balances from other banks", but I didn't tell them about the checks.

So theoretically... I could use that BofA balance transfer check (from a different BofA card) and write it out for $3.5k to pay off the Alaska Airlines BofA balance?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No, they’ll reject it. However, some BofA BT offers allow cash deposits into a checking account (or direct deposit, if the BT is originated from BofA’s web site), so you might be able to use a check to deposit $3,500 into your checking and then use it to pay off the other BofA card. But be careful: If deposits aren’t allowed, the interest rate and fees will be very high.

Read the info. that came with the checks. Also go into your BofA account and go card by card, checking the “consolidate debt” section to see what offers are listed.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:30 pm

I would not risk that. If the terms of the deal say no BoA accounts they can hit you with the full interest rate which you've then paid the transfer fee on top of it.

Originally Posted by sikorloa
Thanks Yoshi -

Regarding the checks, I actually got one of those from BofA for a 0% Balance Transfer until April 2019.

I called a rep and they said "no balance transfers within the bank, we only accept balances from other banks", but I didn't tell them about the checks.

So theoretically... I could use that BofA balance transfer check (from a different BofA card) and write it out for $3.5k to pay off the Alaska Airlines BofA balance?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
No, they’ll reject it. However, some BofA BT offers allow cash deposits into a checking account (or direct deposit, if the BT is originated from BofA’s web site), so you might be able to use a check to deposit $3,500 into your checking and then use it to pay off the other BofA card. But be careful: If deposits aren’t allowed, the interest rate and fees will be very high.

Read the info. that came with the checks. Also go into your BofA account and go card by card, checking the “consolidate debt” section to see what offers are listed.
Do you have a checking account with another check? Deposit the BT to that account. Then transfer it to your BofA account. Might be a good time to sign up for the Chase $200/$300 promo then you can use that as a way to use non-BofA. There are also lots of local credit unions that will give you free checking accounts.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Of all my cards, barclays has been the best so far. consistently getting 0% with 1% bt fee for the last 5 years. Chase is second best with 2% fee. BOA, Citi and Discover are all common at 3%.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:05 am

using transfer checks and running balance...

Hey,

I got transfer balance checks with 3% balance transfer fee. It says until end of cycle that ends on 12/2019? so assuming 1.1?

I am leaning to use those as I pay 5.5% on my heloc so I will be saving $750 for the year about if I do the max which seems to be 30k? (can do two 15k checks)

Another question, is the 0% apr is just on balance transfer right? so regular charges I put on card won't be 0%?

I usually never have a rolling balance... and always pay entire balance in full but recently, as I opened a few cards with 18 months 0% apr - I have been running balances on them . Will this hurt my credit score?

Lastly, any general notes or things I should keep in mind when using these checks? the 3% they tack onto the card? so if I write a 15k check they will add 3& to that?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Even though your offer is from Chase, I have moved your question into this thread in the Credit Card Programs forum because the principles are the same for all issuers. Reviewing the older posts should answer many of your questions, and alert you to the risks.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Business Cards with a 0% Balance Transfer and a SUB?

There used to be a lot of these, but I am looking for some great sign up bonus offers on business cards that also have a 0% balance transfer offer. Does anyone have any information on any of these right now?

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Oct 26, 2019 at 9:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.