Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year

Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Discover it Miles
current offer as of 9/1/17:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/miles/index.html

• 1.5x miles on all purchases
  • Double miles for the first year (3x miles on all purchases)
  • An annual credit up to $30 for in-flight Wi-Fi charges (ended 3/31/19)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • No annual fee
  • Free FICO Score
  • 0% purchase APR for first twelve months

There are two ways to redeem miles:
  • Cash back via a deposit into your linked bank account
  • A statement credit against a travel purchase made in the past 180 days

Print Wikipost

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year

Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Member

Every once in a while this game still works the way it used to (and is supposed to).

Just got my year-end match of $3,750, which equates to $250,000 is spending.

All of the spending was US Bank debit cards from Kroger (with grocery items thrown in). Usual spending on MS days were $1,000 - $2,000.

Most payments on the card were through Check Free Bill Pay or money orders from WalMart.

Original credit line was $10,000, raised to $14,000, then $19,000.

Started off at $10,000 - $15,000 a month. Never went over $30,000 a month. So credit line was exceeded, but not significantly so.

Payments were constant, so the outstanding balance was never close to the credit line.

Only two fraud calls. One when the card was so worn out it needed to be swiped instead of scanned, and the other when I spent heavily on the replacement card once it arrived.

Nothing spectacular like the AMEX Blue unlimited 5% days, but this is a nice card for a year to generate a little sock drawer money when you are near a Kroger and WalMart anyway.

I figure the MS costs are 1.5%, so the year-end bonus amount is the profit.

So a shutdown eliminates the profit, and is a disaster. Hopefully data points like these helps avoid a shut down for others.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Is the 3x for first year dead?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
Is the 3x for first year dead?
Seems to still be offered here:

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/travel/

Unlimited 1.5x Miles

Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases – from airfare and hotels to groceries and online shopping.

We Match Mile for Mile

We'll match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year. For example, 30,000 Miles turns into 60,000 Miles.2
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:34 am

Wow, it is such a pain redeeming miles. First off, it says I don't have a linked bank account, even though I have linked to pay from. She says you have to initiate a payment from there (I used autopay), so I tried to but I cannot because I have no balance. The lady on the phone couldn't make a payment either.
And it limits how much you can redeem initially ($300) but supposedly after this I can do all of it.
Such a pain.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:34 pm

is Discover Miles churn-able? if yes, how long after you cancel did you apply for a new one to get 3% on the first year?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Mamibear
is Discover Miles churn-able? if yes, how long after you cancel did you apply for a new one to get 3% on the first year?
How would you churn a card you have to use to generate your own sign up bonus over the course of one year?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: All of them
You would sign up for it again, to get another year of 3% on everything, doh!
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
$30 Wi-Fi Credit Ends March 31st

Discover is discontinuing the annual $30 credit for Wi-Fi purchases. This was the only reason I was keeping the card.
Not using for 1.5% back when I have Chase Freedom with Sapphire for 5X UR categories and the Amex Gold for 4X MR on grocery/dining among other better cards for travel.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Discover is discontinuing the annual $30 credit for Wi-Fi purchases. This was the only reason I was keeping the card.
Not using for 1.5% back when I have Chase Freedom with Sapphire for 5X UR categories and the Amex Gold for 4X MR on grocery/dining among other better cards for travel.
Yep, I'll be cancelling this card.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any Good Discover Cards?

Hi everyone, I'm based in Chicago, and a store we frequent only accepts Discover Card.

Are there any good promos out there? We don't really see Discover Card on this site. Thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by steveo
Hi everyone, I'm based in Chicago, and a store we frequent only accepts Discover Card.

Are there any good promos out there? We don't really see Discover Card on this site. Thank you!
Check the IT card on the Discover website.

It has no fee and 5% rotating categories cash back . Discover will match your cash back at the end of the first year.

There are many FTers that are not thrilled with this card, but we use it only for the 5% categories,which often match up well with the 5% categories on our Chase Freedom cards. If you are using at at location that only accepts Discover, then it seems to be a better choice to earn at least 1%, over using cash.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:21 am

Can the Discover It MIles card be churned for a subsequent year of the double cash back bonus at the end of the year (1.5% + 1.5% = 3% cash back)? Is there a waiting period, as there is with other card issuers before one can apply again for the card?

Last edited by TTT103; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by TTT103
Can the Discover It MIles card be churned for a subsequent year of the double cash back bonus at the end of the year (1.5% + 1.5% = 3% cash back)? Is there a waiting period, as there is with other card issuers before one can apply again for the card?
I'm just alternating it with a year of Business version of the same card. I figure by next year after 14 months since closing I can get it again.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I'm just alternating it with a year of Business version of the same card. I figure by next year after 14 months since closing I can get it again.
Perfect! Thank you
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:21 pm

Can i get Discover it miles 3% bonus if i already have normal Discover 5% category it card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.