Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Visa, Incomm and Pathward sued over 'Vanilla' gift card draining.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Not sure if there is already a thread for this

https://www.reuters.com/legal/visa-i...am-2024-01-30/

Visa was sued on Tuesday by consumers who said the card payments network failed to make prepaid "Vanilla" gift cards less likely to being drained by thieves.

Ira Schuman, who leads the proposed class action in the White Plains, New York, federal court, said he bought eight $500 Vanilla cards as holiday gifts for his employees in 2022 and 2023, only to learn later that cards had been emptied.
According to the complaint, the non-reloadable debit cards are sold at CVS, Target, Walgreens and other grocers and retailers in thin cardboard sleeves that thieves can open and, after recording account information, reseal without being detected.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:12 pm

had no issue with no balance. the new issues with vanilla is that you can't use them on so many regular purchases and transactions and purchases. forget online, it doesn't even work in stores and regular purchases. the number on the back has no live human support. what's worse is that you can't even check balance online with the website they give cos it shows error all the time on any browser any phone. shouldn't buy this even if it is 50% off
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Blueheaven
had no issue with no balance. the new issues with vanilla is that you can't use them on so many regular purchases and transactions and purchases. forget online, it doesn't even work in stores and regular purchases.
Perhaps that’s why you had no issue with someone draining the balance
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Perhaps that’s why you had no issue with someone draining the balance
no one drained my balance. the automated phone system only allows balance check. I was able to successfully drain my balance at a store finally.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Even something relatively simple (like requiring website registration using an autogenerated code on the receipt before you can get the card's CVV2 or something) would have cut down on fraud issues.

On the other hand, it does show how well the security features on regular cards are working (even if not anywhere near what should have been implemented IMO) if they have to go steal gift card info.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.