Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Interesting thing I saw this morning:

The new Supercard is essentially the same as the old Supercard, but with one big difference. Travelex has swapped providers, choosing Mastercard to set its exchange rate. The reason for this, Travelex says, is that the Mastercard rate was better 82.5 percent of the time than Visa's offering across 45 currencies.
Take that how you will.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by zyxlsy
The Discover transaction finally got posted.

T:3, P:4, J:8388, U:76.71, R:109.346891

Compared with other transactions happening on the same day, I'd say Amex>MC>Discover(JCB).

Of course this is only true for that time period when JPY was climbing. But I would say using Amex SPG is a good choice nonetheless for JPY>USD.
Where would you put Visa into that ranking? Amex>MC>Discover(JCB).??
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Where would you put Visa into that ranking? Amex>MC>Discover(JCB).??
Dead last... Sorry Visa

I'd use whatever gives me the most rewards in Japan. For this, it's either Amex SPG or A+. Most of the time it's A+ now.

We'll see what Amex's rates are going to be after it switches its currency conversion provider.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Dead last... Sorry Visa

I'd use whatever gives me the most rewards in Japan. For this, it's either Amex SPG or A+. Most of the time it's A+ now.

We'll see what Amex's rates are going to be after it switches its currency conversion provider.
Is that ranking only for Japan? Do you believe it switches for other countries?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Is that ranking only for Japan? Do you believe it switches for other countries?
Visa is as good, if not better than the rest, in China, strangely. China is the only place I'd find that Visa does better. In all other places I've been to, Visa is terrible.

Discover (JCB) is competitive only in Japan because of its alliance with JCB. In China it's 0.5% percent worse and it's not accepted in lots of other countries.

MC is good all round. Amex works for me because I value SPG points much and A+ points not that much. For rates only, MC beats Amex everywhere.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:03 pm

I had a Japan charge pending at 109.6 and it just posted today (3 weeks later) at 103.7. Thanks Visa
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by photaco
I had a Japan charge pending at 109.6 and it just posted today (3 weeks later) at 103.7. Thanks Visa
I believe this is controlled by the merchant, though the system could be different in Japan.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I believe this is controlled by the merchant, though the system could be different in Japan.
If you're referring to the fact it took 3 weeks to post, then yes, that differs between merchants. I'm upset that Visa's rate isn't at least 104.0 for this posting date. (It looks like MasterCard would have been ~104.2, instead of Visa's ~103.7.)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:09 am

If the JPY was falling, 3 weeks I mean, you wanna kill that merchant for posting that late...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
I've just started reading up on this and am kicking myself for not realizing sooner. Do the FTers here recommend getting the Citi Prestige or is there an alternate MC card (preferably with a lower AF)? I'm hesitant to apply only because of the high AF. For what it's worth, I've been using the CSP or my SPG Amex on all domestic purchases and the CSP for purchases abroad.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canon5dfan
Do the FTers here recommend getting the Citi Prestige or is there an alternate MC card (preferably with a lower AF)? I'm hesitant to apply only because of the high AF.
Similarly, I mostly use SPG Amex for overseas purchases. The Chase IHG MC makes a decent, low annual cost ($49 and includes a free hotel night) card to use for places that don't accept (or make big surcharges on) Amex. IHG points aren't worth much, but most of my international purchases from places that don't take Amex come into the fuel/grocery/restaurant category anyhow, which gets double points on the IHG card. Combine that with the 10% reward rebate and it's effectively 2.2 pts/$ on those purchases.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Similarly, I mostly use SPG Amex for overseas purchases. The Chase IHG MC makes a decent, low annual cost ($49 and includes a free hotel night) card to use for places that don't accept (or make big surcharges on) Amex. IHG points aren't worth much, but most of my international purchases from places that don't take Amex come into the fuel/grocery/restaurant category anyhow, which gets double points on the IHG card. Combine that with the 10% reward rebate and it's effectively 2.2 pts/$ on those purchases.
eh the problem is I never stay at IHG properties lol. I was looking at the barclays arrival card but I don't earn on dining and lose out on the airline network that UR or my SPG could give me from point transfers.

Btw I thought AMEX was equally as bad as Visa abroad?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:14 pm

Angry Chase sapphire card and charges in GBP today..

So I made 2 airline tickets purchase on Expedia UK website and they charged me £852.60 which as per todays exchange rate is about $1169 USD .. However I see a pending charge of $1259 on my card which is about $90 more than expected.. Why is that ? I have shot off an email to chase about the discrepency....what course do I have if they charge me at the old exchange rate?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck. With the exchange rates being very volatile over the next few days, I'm not sure you're going to have an easy time sorting this one out.

Worth a try, I suppose.

But, until the purchase has finalized, Chase could still adjust the number. And, with foreign transactions, they often do.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
...they charged me £852.60 which as per todays exchange rate is about $1169 USD...
How exactly do you come up with $1169?

$1259 is the correct amount. Chase, in this case, uses the Visa Wholesale exchange rate pricing to determine your exchange rate:

https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html

If I am correct, you made the purchase on 06/23/2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.