FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1650945-foreign-exchange-rates-discussion-forex-all-cards.html)

AllieKat Jan 24, 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 26071764)
I just made 2 identical charges in some foreign currency, a few seconds apart. I used a Chase card for the first charge and a Cap one quicksilver for the second.

The dollar amount with the Chase card was about 0.5% higher than the Capone!

I thought that these credit card companies are using mid market wholesale rates or something like that, and never imagined such a huge difference could be possible.

Anybody has some insight on how this works? Is it perhaps that one bank has a longer lag in updating their conversion rates and therefore would sometimes be higher and sometimes lower than banks with a shorter lag? If not, which credit card companies generally use the conversion rates which are best for the consumers?

Bizarre unless your Quicksilver is a MasterCard version.

Mauibaby2008 Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am

0.5% higher foreign exchange rate with Chase vs Cap one

There was a post here on FT maybe a few months ago with a guy who tested about a bunch of cards and their forex fees. Try to look it up. It was really interesting

mia Jan 24, 2016 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 26071764)
I just made 2 identical charges...

If you are looking at the pending charges on the issuers' websites the USD amount shown are approximations, and likely to change when the transactions post.

bamba70 Jan 25, 2016 10:41 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 26071926)
Bizarre unless your Quicksilver is a MasterCard version.

It is indeed a quicksilver mastercard. Why would that make a difference, and such a large difference?

mia Jan 25, 2016 11:00 am

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 26078127)
... mastercard. Why would that make a difference, and such a large difference?

Suggest reviewing this entire thread. Many members report consistently better exchange rates when using MasterCard vs VISA.

bamba70 Jan 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 24898565)
I wrote a python script to pull data from visa/mastercard (xe requires you to pay $ to access their API)

probably against visa/mastercard ToS to host it on a website.... might convert this into a Chrome extension to make it more user friendly if I'm not lazy...

http://pastebin.com/Khe7J3a1

The script is failing for me with "Visa: Cannot find exchange rate", is it still working for you or did they change something in their backend?

Flying Kiwi Feb 3, 2016 5:53 pm

Barclays charging hidden foreign exchange fees

Barclays has started charging a hidden foreign exchange fee on their Arrival+ (and presumably other cards, as well). I'd used the Arrival+ for some largish transactions in New Zealand dollars last year, and saw that they applied the expected exchange rate for the settlement date as quoted by MasterCard (https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/) I did some more transactions in January, but now the exchange rate used by Barclays is around .5-1.0+% in their favor.

This appears to be a violation of their terms and conditions. If you're using Barclays for an large foreign currency purchases you might want to check this for yourself and confirm - the USD amount should match that quoted by MasterCard for the settlement date, which would typically be the next U.S. business day after the transaction took place.

I've confirmed that Citi is still using the MasterCard rates on their cards, at least the Premier.

I've tried contacting Barclays about this but have gotten nowhere, with secure mails just sending me canned responses and live representatives saying they have no control over the exchange rate. Seems like a great class action suit in the making.

Yoshi212 Feb 3, 2016 7:36 pm

Sounds like Dynamic Currency Conversion to me. Is it illegal? Don't think so. Is it a shady practice? I do think so.

Flying Kiwi Feb 3, 2016 9:29 pm

Anyway, no, this is not a DCC issue. This is an issue with regular purchases charged in the foreign currency.

patrick.barnes Feb 5, 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi (Post 26130332)
Anyway, no, this is not a DCC issue. This is an issue with regular purchases charged in the foreign currency.

Hmmm... I make large AUD purchases and always use the A+. I'll see if I can corroborate this.

zyxlsy Feb 6, 2016 7:07 am

Guys, I'm here for an easy answer.

For Singapore, should I use Amex SPG or Barclay Arrival+?

My feeling is that they are about the same for USD/JPY, but 1 SPG point is in my idea more valuable than 2 Arrival points. Therefore I used Amex SPG mostly in Japan.

Do you guys have different opinions?

AllieKat Feb 6, 2016 7:31 am

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 26142253)
Guys, I'm here for an easy answer.

For Singapore, should I use Amex SPG or Barclay Arrival+?

My feeling is that they are about the same for USD/JPY, but 1 SPG point is in my idea more valuable than 2 Arrival points. Therefore I used Amex SPG mostly in Japan.

Do you guys have different opinions?

I have always been one to see Discover/Mastercard > Amex > Visa. However, recent posts indicate this may no longer be true for Barclay's Mastercards...

zyxlsy Feb 6, 2016 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 26142323)
I have always been one to see Discover/Mastercard > Amex > Visa. However, recent posts indicate this may no longer be true for Barclay's Mastercards...

Jan 3 I did a $100 transaction in Tokyo using A+, and the rate was fine...

I will test again soon as I'm heading to Singapore. Maybe I'll find a convenience store and do two swipes.

I kind of think Amex uses almost the same rates as MC does, and I would like to know whether your experience explicitly tells differently, thanks~

AllieKat Feb 7, 2016 3:53 am

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 26145652)
Jan 3 I did a $100 transaction in Tokyo using A+, and the rate was fine...

I will test again soon as I'm heading to Singapore. Maybe I'll find a convenience store and do two swipes.

I kind of think Amex uses almost the same rates as MC does, and I would like to know whether your experience explicitly tells differently, thanks~

Amex has always seemed a tiny bit worse but it could have been time of day etc. Discover and MasterCard I consider essentially perfect. Amex a tiny amount worse. Visa pretty bad.

Michael Ad Feb 7, 2016 12:01 pm

One advantage of Amex is that you don't have to be alert to the possibility of DCC (dynamic currency conversion) since they apparently don't allow that.