Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

When do I get access to the shop Discover portal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I need a particular item in less than 10 days and the Discover portal has the most cash back. Shipping will take a few days. I don't have a Discover card yet. Will I get access to the portal immediately after being approved for the Discover card, or only after I have the card in hand?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:32 pm

Assuming you don't have a Discover banking product, once you have the ability to create a username to log into Discover you will have access to the portal.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jm38750n
Assuming you don't have a Discover banking product, once you have the ability to create a username to log into Discover you will have access to the portal.
I don't have Discover banking. So sounds like will need the card in hand before I can create the log in then. Can I call them to expedite shipping the card?

Also, can I use a Visa or AMEX card for payment when using Discover portal to get their cash back?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:56 pm

Can't definitively answer the first question, can't hurt to ask

For the second question, yes, you can
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I don't have Discover banking. So sounds like will need the card in hand before I can create the log in then. Can I call them to expedite shipping the card?
You need the card number to create the login. I don't think they will give you the card number over the phone. IIRC, all Discover IT cards come with expedited shipping.

Also, can I use a Visa or AMEX card for payment when using Discover portal to get their cash back?
It's against the terms, but it has worked for some people. Note that if there is any problem (cookie didn't track correctly, for example) then you won't have recourse if you used another card for payment. If you used the Discover card and it didn't work, they are usually good about giving credit manually.

Also note that ShopDiscover has been shut down, and replaced by a new portal called Discover Deals. It seems to have many, but not all, of the sites that used to be on ShopDiscover. You should verify that the site you want is still there, rather than relying on anyone's lists.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
It's against the terms, but it has worked for some people. Note that if there is any problem (cookie didn't track correctly, for example) then you won't have recourse if you used another card for payment. If you used the Discover card and it didn't work, they are usually good about giving credit manually.

Also note that ShopDiscover has been shut down, and replaced by a new portal called Discover Deals. It seems to have many, but not all, of the sites that used to be on ShopDiscover. You should verify that the site you want is still there, rather than relying on anyone's lists.
Can someone confirm that SAks is 15%? It says this on Cashbackmonitor and cashbackholics, but I can't confirm without logging in.

Also, I'm interested in buying $3500 in Saks gift cards. I suppose if it didn't track and I appealed, they probably wouldn't grant me the cash back anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will need your card. You need card number, expiration and CCV code. It is extremely unlikely they will provide those over the phone.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:34 am Reason: referenced a deleted thread
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Saks is still listed for 15%. The terms exclude gift cards, as they do for most portal rebates, but I'm not sure how well this is enforced.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Also, I'm interested in buying $3500 in Saks gift cards. I suppose if it didn't track and I appealed, they probably wouldn't grant me the cash back anyway.
You could, potentially, buy something like this, and then return to the store for Store Credit/Gift card. YMMV, though.

edit, bad example, that's a pre-order. But there's no shortage of ~$3500 things at Saks.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roki

You could, potentially, buy something like this, and then return to the store for Store Credit/Gift card. YMMV, though.

edit, bad example, that's a pre-order. But there's no shortage of ~$3500 things at Saks.
My understanding is that returning the item for credit will still void the transaction, and portal points/cash would then be clawed back. Now if I said I lost the receipt and asked for store credit, I don't know if saks could still track down the transaction number with my ID.

Also, I bought some saks gift cards via AA portal a couple months ago and got miles. If Cartera gives miles for gift card purchases (despite t+c saying it's not supposed to), does that basically mean Discover will give me cash back? Are there any reports of discrepancy in payout between Discover vs Cartera?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.