Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The Master List of credit card offers can be found on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...scription.html

A list of Flyertalk members who would appreciate "paying it forward" by using their referral links can be found here: Individual discussions of bank policies, credit cards, and pros/cons of the various programs can be found in this forum:
Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Forum
Discussions on redeeming miles and points can be found in the Airline and Hotel forums.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

2014 posts can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-archive.html
Print Wikipost

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
I agree with garykung that you may have a hard time getting approvals just one month out from an AOR. How many cards did you apply for in the AOR a month ago? If it was only two or three, and your credit score is excellent, you might stand a chance at successfully pulling off another AOR in short order. If you applied for say, four or five cards in the last AOR it's likely you'll get some denials going for another AOR a month later.

Of course it depends a bit on which card(s) you go for in the next AOR as some banks are less generous with approvals than others.

That's my two cents.
http://www.travelcodex.com/2014/04/a...rs-oldsmobile/
Old May 21, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by joer1212
If I apply for only 1 card before 90 days, and my application is rejected, does it automatically reset the clock (I have to wait another 90 days before applying again)?
There is no clock per se.

How you should approach depends on your credit for the last 2 years.

For example, if you are denied because of too much inquiries, you should wait until some of the HPs disappeared from the report first.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by garykung
There is no clock per se.

How you should approach depends on your credit for the last 2 years.

For example, if you are denied because of too much inquiries, you should wait until some of the HPs disappeared from the report first.
Would the same apply if you are targeted for a "pre-approved" offer?
Old May 22, 2016, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by joer1212
Would the same apply if you are targeted for a "pre-approved" offer?
Unless the preapproved does not require a HP, which is rare, the same will apply as well.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
It's not clear why you quoted my post when you posted this link. My point in my previous post, in simple terms, was that if within the past month you applied for many (about 3 or more) cards you are more likely to get a denial if you apply for more cards today. If you wait a bit longer, your chances of getting an approval go up. This isn't groundbreaking news. You originally didn't tell us how many cards you applied for in your AOR of a month ago and you didn't tell us which card(s) you're looking to get now. So I could only give you general advice/commentary.

Re: the link you posted - Yes, I've seen reports on the speed at which inquiries now show up to banks. I definitely believe that's it much faster than 5 or 10 years ago but I also maintain the belief that applying for cards seconds apart (I'll have browser windows open simultaneously and progressed to the "Submit" page) may be fast enough to have the desired, positive effect. I certainly don't see any real negative to doing it that way.

Along those lines, although you were approved for three cards in the same day, there is a chance that the first or second inquiry didn't show up to the bank when you submitted your third app that day. Even if it did, that doesn't mean that a fourth app, whether it was that day or a month later, will be approved. Get a couple months out and those previous apps tend to be viewed with less of a skeptical eye by banks' algorithms/reps. After a couple months your credit report will show whether or not you immediately "abused" those new accounts or are using them responsibly.

If you're really looking to get one more card and it's time-sensitive to do so, you may just want to not overthink it, and apply. None of us know for sure if you'll be approved or not (and we really can't give sage advice if it's not even clear which card you're going after). For me personally a HP is no big deal. I've never been "permanently" declined for a credit card app and I've had about forty cards over the years. However, if you're planning to seek a home or car loan in the next couple months though you'll want to be more cautious in racking up HPs.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:51 pm

Need help on my next AOR

I am planning a trip for the family in February of 2017. I need an additional 120,000 united miles. My first AOR was on March 25, 2016. I want to go ahead and do the second AOR before the standard 90 days. Does anyone have any experience doing an AOR before the 3 month rule?

My first AOR was the CSR and United Mileage Plus card. I am going to attempt to obtain 3 business cards on this AOR. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by garykung; Jun 3, 2016 at 1:45 am Reason: Misunderstanding
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
You are too late.

Despite the fact that you did not mention how many cards were involved in your last AOR, due to Chase's 5/24 rule, your AOR-in-planning is basicalled doomed on arrival, as it is unlikely that Chase will approve your apps.
What if his slate is otherwise clean aside from the 2 apps he mentioned? If so, he should be OK to get another Chase card right?

OP how many hard inquires do you have and how many new accounts have you opened in the last 24 months?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
If your requirement is to fly on United, you don't necessarily need United miles - you can use partner and/or Star Alliance miles. 120K Aeroplan (Air Canada) miles should be relatively easy to accumulate via Amex and TD.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't get, why are people so obsessed with AORs, aside from the instances where the same bank combines hard pulls? Most of what it does is concentrate minimum spending into the same overlapping time period, especially since hard pulls are visible very quickly to other banks.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Question Credit Card / AAdvantage Strategy. HELP!!!

First off, thanks in advanced!

I've been racking my brain the last few weeks trying to figure out best plan of attack to maximize AAdvantage. I've been researching best card strategy but need some third party validation.

Few things to note:
  • Currently at 218K AAdvantage miles
  • Currently a AA Platinum but tracking to hit AA Exec Platinum this year
  • Company pays for most travel so CC bonus points/miles based for direct airline/hotels for conversions really aren't a benefit
  • Most expenses are daily living expenses ~$60K/yr
  • Fly mostly between LAX and Asia
  • Don't really travel much outside of work b/c I'm gone over half the year so full flight redemption isn't highest value
  • Good credit so not worried on which cards to apply for

Primary objective was to earn as many miles as possible so I may redeem them for business class upgrades (company only pays for economy even for international long haul flights -- which sucks!). However, I'm realizing that I'm not earning miles nowhere near fast enough for an even trade. And the $350/way + miles charge adds up quick.

I currently have the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card. Just received the AA Platinum Executive World Elite Card BUT I am going to cancel it. Primary value was Admirals Club, but found out that I already had Admirals Club b/c I'm an authorized user on another card. Not worth $450 annual fee for 50K bonus. I've been trying to figure out which card(s) to get next. Here's what's on my list:

• Amex SPG Card (25K Bonus)
  • AAdvantage Platinum Business Card (30K)
  • IHG Credit Card -- b/c IHG converts to AAdvantage, but not 100% certain on that (70K bonus)
  • Citi Thank You -- but not sure if ThankYou Points is really best strategy
  • Citi Prestige -- same as above, not sure if point program is best for me

My newest revelation is that I'm chasing a sign-up bonus, but main objective would be used for Business Class upgrade. And, based on redemption/bonus rates, I MAYBE get 1 or 2 flights with a new credit card. Not sure if it's all worth it.

So --- would you recommend I stop chasing miles and change to Points?

I just dumped a whole lot of backstory here. Hoping to get some clarity/direction.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't get, why are people so obsessed with AORs, aside from the instances where the same bank combines hard pulls? Most of what it does is concentrate minimum spending into the same overlapping time period, especially since hard pulls are visible very quickly to other banks.
You are absolutely right. The AOR, in my opinion, is obsolete.

The main 2 advantages that I can see right now are that it helps in a person's organization of apps and that there is a delay in the new account showing up on the person's account. Pulls usually show up in real time now. So if a person applies for multiple cards in one day, the banks can see the earlier pulls. But it usually takes a few weeks for the new account to show up on the credit report. In limited situations, that could help with the new 5/24 rule with Chase. But I think most people on this board are way beyond 5/24 anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:15 am

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was tentatively approved (I should get final approval in the mail) for two business cards this morning. I truly appreciate the help and support found here at flyertalk.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:33 am
Suspended

what happened to this thread? no one's doing AoR's any longer? Its time for my quarterly attack on the credit bureaus and i need some advice. offers are few and far between these days.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:32 am

No point with interest rates so low. Parking the cash anywhere other than savings is too risky. Not only that but your score tanks with the new scoring system. Not worth it (for now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.