Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The Master List of credit card offers can be found on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...scription.html

A list of Flyertalk members who would appreciate "paying it forward" by using their referral links can be found here: Individual discussions of bank policies, credit cards, and pros/cons of the various programs can be found in this forum:
Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Forum
Discussions on redeeming miles and points can be found in the Airline and Hotel forums.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

2014 posts can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-archive.html
Print Wikipost

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
Are you buying a house? If so, you may want to hold off on credit card apps until the loan closes.
Nah, just moving apartments - no big credit rating concerns for the move (unless someone has had a bad experience in similar situations).
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:49 pm

Help please!

Hi guys. I need some advice on strategy for my next round of applications.

Come April I will have the following inquiries on my report (and come may the May 14s will drop off):
May 14 Chase
May 14 AMEX
Feb 16 Citi
Feb 16 Chase
Feb 16 Chase
Feb 16 Citi

I am interested in the following cards and think I want to apply in the following order:
1. Chase INK Plus
2. Chase Hyatt (pending 5/24 rule)
3. Chase IHG (pending 5/24 rule)
4. SPG Amex (hoping for the 30,000 bonus)
5. BOA Alaska Airlines
6. Hilton Amex
7. Citi Hilton
8. Hilton Surpass Amex
9. Citi Hilton Reserve
10. Citi Prestige (waiting for the 100,000 bonus)

Note: I don't have any Hotels cards yet. I am also expecting to apply for a mortgage in Summer 2017.

How would you guys spread out these applications (and in what order)? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by VolareOooCantareOoo
Feb 16 Citi
Feb 16 Chase
Feb 16 Chase
Feb 16 Citi

I am interested in the following cards and think I want to apply in the following order:
1. Chase INK Plus
Sounds like you should definitely try for the Chase ones first because of 5/24, but the Ink Plus (not a co-branded card) might be harder - both b/c of 5/24 and the Chase branded cards are harder to get from what I understand.

How soon were you planning to make your next app? I'm in a similar boat as I'm wanting to apply for more soon (ideally tomorrow!) to pay my taxes with, and I have two Chase SW cards from Feb 23rd. So I'm curious what others think. Is applying tomorrow too soon to get more Chase cards (had 0 CC apps in the past two years before Feb 23rd)? Do I need to wait a full 30 days? Looking for Ink Plus Biz and maybe SW Premier Biz or Chase Sapphire Plus...
--Kyle
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Sounds like you should definitely try for the Chase ones first because of 5/24, but the Ink Plus (not a co-branded card) might be harder - both b/c of 5/24 and the Chase branded cards are harder to get from what I understand.

How soon were you planning to make your next app? I'm in a similar boat as I'm wanting to apply for more soon (ideally tomorrow!) to pay my taxes with, and I have two Chase SW cards from Feb 23rd. So I'm curious what others think. Is applying tomorrow too soon to get more Chase cards (had 0 CC apps in the past two years before Feb 23rd)? Do I need to wait a full 30 days? Looking for Ink Plus Biz and maybe SW Premier Biz or Chase Sapphire Plus...
--Kyle
I would personally wait 30 days from the two SW apps. I think it will increase your approval chances with Chase.

Hi guys. I need some advice on strategy for my next round of applications.

Come April I will have the following inquiries on my report (and come may the May 14s will drop off):
May 14 Chase
May 14 AMEX
Feb 16 Citi
Feb 16 Chase
Feb 16 Chase
Feb 16 Citi

1. Chase INK Plus
4. SPG Amex (hoping for the 30,000 bonus)
5. BOA Alaska Airlines
6. Hilton Amex
7. Citi Hilton
8. Hilton Surpass Amex
9. Citi Hilton Reserve
10. Citi Prestige (waiting for the 100,000 bonus)

Note: I don't have any Hotels cards yet. I am also expecting to apply for a mortgage in Summer 2017.

How would you guys spread out these applications (and in what order)? Thanks so much for your help.
Me personally, unless you have a real business I'd skip the Ink. Blogs love to push it for the commissions but I'd rather focus on cards you're likely to get approved for.

Chase Hyatt vs. Chase IHG - In my opinion the Hyatt original sign-up bonus is better, but the annual IHG benefit is better. This is a tough one between the two but you'll need to decide which works best for your travel just in case you only get one.

In late March I'd apply for the following:
Chase Hyatt
Amex SPG

Then in April I'd go for:
Chase IHG
Citi Hilton Reserve (if you have a good use)
BoA Alaska

Then in June probably SPG Amex, any great offers that come around, etc.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
I would personally wait 30 days from the two SW apps. I think it will increase your approval chances with Chase.
Thanks Willbur. Yeah, I'm sure it would. BUT, I want the highest odds of getting two new CCs *before* taxes are due. I have to pay about $7,500 and would like to fill a couple bonus opportunities. So which is more likely for getting CCs before April 15th?

1. Apply today with a chance of approval, maybe get a denial in a couple weeks, call recon, and hopefully get approved in 2-3 more weeks?
2. Wait 30 days and hope for instant approval to get the card in time?

All my credit scores range from 777 to 813, and I was just approved for huge CLs ($32k and $22k on the SW cards). Business is real, but not high income ($18k net). I have one other Chase card - the regular Ink business.

BTW, would applying for Chase Ink Plus and Chase SW Biz Premier in the same day be one credit pull, like with the personal cards?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:34 am

BTW, would applying for Chase Ink Plus and Chase SW Biz Premier in the same day be one credit pull
with chase, NO.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:46 am

Thanks Willbur. Yeah, I'm sure it would. BUT, I want the highest odds of getting two new CCs *before* taxes are due. I have to pay about $7,500 and would like to fill a couple bonus opportunities. So which is more likely for getting CCs before April 15th?

1. Apply today with a chance of approval, maybe get a denial in a couple weeks, call recon, and hopefully get approved in 2-3 more weeks?
2. Wait 30 days and hope for instant approval to get the card in time?
In my opinion highest odds are still waiting the 30 days. Your odds of decline are much higher sooner than that. I'd rather wait and get approved for a card than apply early and get declined. 30 days from your prior apps gives you plenty of time to pay your taxes on time. The cards take 10-14 days to arrive so I'd apply March 25th and if you go pending give them a call.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:57 am

Thanks for advice.

So if my last Chase applications were on 2/15 (SW Premier - from pending to approved) and 2/17 (SW Plus - still pending: 2 weeks message), should I wait at least until 3/19 (or preferably 3/30) to apply for Chase Hyatt, irrespective if I get denied for the SW Plus (was going for the companion pass)? Is it too risky to combine the Chase IHG and Chase Hyatt on the same day? I will definitely also apply for the AMEX SPG new 35,000 offer (ends 3/30).

I have $50K in credit with chase across 4 cards. Should I lower my limit before applying and by how much? Current cards are the CSP, Freedom, SW Premier, and United (all personal).

BTW, does it make any sense to get the Marriott card re: SPG merger?

Based on the new AMEX SPG offers this is what I am thinking:

Late March (3/30?):
1. Chase IHG or Chase Hyatt or Both
2. AMEX SPG personal and AMEX SPG business

Is 30 days between chase applications enough? Bah.

Me personally, unless you have a real business I'd skip the Ink. Blogs love to push it for the commissions but I'd rather focus on cards you're likely to get approved for.

Chase Hyatt vs. Chase IHG - In my opinion the Hyatt original sign-up bonus is better, but the annual IHG benefit is better. This is a tough one between the two but you'll need to decide which works best for your travel just in case you only get one.

In late March I'd apply for the following:
Chase Hyatt
Amex SPG

Then in April I'd go for:
Chase IHG
Citi Hilton Reserve (if you have a good use)
BoA Alaska

Then in June probably SPG Amex, any great offers that come around, etc.

Last edited by VolareOooCantareOoo; Mar 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:35 pm

In my opinion highest odds are still waiting the 30 days. Your odds of decline are much higher sooner than that. I'd rather wait and get approved for a card than apply early and get declined. 30 days from your prior apps gives you plenty of time to pay your taxes on time. The cards take 10-14 days to arrive so I'd apply March 25th and if you go pending give them a call.
Sigh, okay, I guess you're right. If it looks like I won't get approved quickly, then I might apply for a Citi card or something to use on taxes. I just wanted to focus on Chase cards first to get them in before I've done a lot of new cards. Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:50 pm

Looking for advice on my next round like others. Interested in:

Ink plus
United business
upromise
at%t
old blue cash
fidelity
flex perks business
bbva

I have 2 inks from sole props over the last few years but have an ein and scorp setup and a legitimate business now. So figure I'd give it a shot for 2 since I haven't applied since 8/2015 and the 5/24 rule is coming. I know I'll have to wait 30 days for a decision before going any further, but guessing it's my last shot.
Last time I applied for a Citi card they approved me with a small limit saying I've reached the limit for what they'd give me. I'm fine closing a card or reallocating limit if necessary. Just thought I'd apply first and see how it plays out during recon.
I don't have many US Bank business cards and need more cards for the business anyway. I've had a long history with them and last time I applied with them I got a bigger cl then I was expecting. Since I'm applying for 1, might as well apply for a 2nd since they'll be merged.
Thoughts, suggestions on order and apps?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:59 am

I'm looking at apping for another card or two soon. I have 6 new accounts in the past 24 months, but two will fall off in the next two months.

I'm debating between CSP and the Starwood AMEX. Likely, my ability to hit either bonus will result in me having to choose one or the other at this point. I already have 3 AMEX credit cards, but the flexbility of SPG points is intriguing.

Any recommendation between the two?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:01 pm

Why not get both? Depending on your timing (when the inquiries fall off), could you swing a 3/29 CSP app and then 3/30 AMEX SPG app?

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I'm looking at apping for another card or two soon. I have 6 new accounts in the past 24 months, but two will fall off in the next two months.

I'm debating between CSP and the Starwood AMEX. Likely, my ability to hit either bonus will result in me having to choose one or the other at this point. I already have 3 AMEX credit cards, but the flexbility of SPG points is intriguing.

Any recommendation between the two?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:17 pm

I've had a great couple of years with Citi and Chase. I'm well out due to the 5/24 rule but did sneak in before it was over with a couple of Hotel card offers.

1/14 - Citi - United MileagePlus Explorer
12/14 - Barclays - US Airways
12/14 - Citi - AA Platinum
1/15 - Chase - SW Plus
2/15 - Chase - SW Premier
3/15 - Citi - AA Platinum
4/15 - Citi - Prestige
8/15 - Chase - Ink Plus
11/15 - Citi - AA Platinum
1/16 - Citi - AA Platinum
1/16 - Chase - Hyatt
1/16 - Chase - IHG

Any thoughts on what I should be planning for the rest of 2016? Mid 700 credit scores but an old, old charge-off on AMEX that I suspect they haven't forgotten about. (Which is why I've not tried my luck with them.)
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:28 pm

Why not get both? Depending on your timing (when the inquiries fall off), could you swing a 3/29 CSP app and then 3/30 AMEX SPG app?
Only issue is being able to meet spending requirements on both. I have an overseas trip but it is unfortunately during the 5/24 waiting period. I guess I could do SPG now and then CSP in the summer once I'm below 5 new accounts and have a way to meet the spending threshold.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:14 am

Now I am deciding between (aiming for 2):
1. Chase Hyatt
2. Chase IHG
3. Chase Marriott

Then irrespective AMEX SPG Personal and AMEX SPG Business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.