Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

An American in Belgium: Deciding on Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold

Hello fellow Flyertalkers,

I have been researching credit cards and I'm still undecided and could use your valued input.

Current situation: I'm an American married to a European, so I'm here for the long haul. I still have rental property in the US and use my parents' address for correspondence. My current cards are AMEX Plat and Citi AAdvantage Gold Visa.

I don't travel much for work and when I do, it is put on a company AMEX :-( The last time I applied for credit cards was in May 2011. My FICO scores are EQ800/TU790/EX783. I have a shorter credit history than most people (average 5 years, oldest 14 years) because back in the late '90s I got into some debt, which I paid off before I got my 1st mortgage in 2000.

Goals: My husband and I travel to the US 2-3 times per year and inter-Europe otherwise. I've accumulated points on AA, US, and BA but not enough in any one bucket to pay for two transatlantic J tickets as well as some hotels. Our goal is to be able to use points for some of our travel overseas.

Cards I'm considering:

1. US Airways World MC, due to the 40K sign up bonus and no minimum spend. Also, when the FF programs are merged, it will be a nice addition to my account.

2. Citi AAdvantage Platinum, 50K bonus and 2x points on travel, but do they really adhere to the strict policy of rewarding the bones to NEW cardholders or is it a YMMV situation?

3. Chase Sapphire also a nice 40K bonus and some great hotel partners (Marriott and IHG particularly). The last time I spoke with them in 2011, I was rejected due to a 'previous bad relationship' with both Providian and FirstUSA, which were chargeoffs that I paid in 1999. They have a blacklist so I hesitate applying even though this happened 15 years ago.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:20 pm

Be aware that the US Airways and Citi AA Platinum cards charge foreign transaction fees.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you nall. I would mostly use the cards with the foreign transaction fees for US purchases and travel.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:26 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Look into the premier(3 points on dining) or prestige( lounge access)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:35 pm
In memoriam

Check out the various flavors of the Chase INK which has recently offered up to 70K Ultimate Rewards Points bonuses for a new card after $5K spend. You can get several of these. URP convert 1 to 1 to United miles.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I just hope I'm off Chase's blacklist.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BOS2DCA
Thank you nall. I would mostly use the cards with the foreign transaction fees for US purchases and travel.
Then make sure you get them when you will be ready to travel so you can meet the spend requirements in order to earn the bonuses. Timing will be key for you
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:11 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
If you are on the blacklist then recon is the only way for you to get approved(slim)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.