Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Small question regarding balance transfers

Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum

Got a 0 percent offer when I pay off my credit card bill with city does it go to my normal expenses or my balance I transferred?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP

if you transferred to citi then it is all one lump sum. you are paying down the total of everything
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Got a 0 percent offer when I pay off my credit card bill with city does it go to my normal expenses or my balance I transferred?
To answer your question, the new CARD Act mandates all credit card payments to be allocated to the portion that associated with the highest APR.

If you don't transfer everything in full, your default portion and cash advance will the first get transferred. Then standard purchase and previous BT will be the last.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:55 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
So in practice does it get allocated to the highest APR first? To clarify I got a really tempting offer to send a 0% balance transfer from my cities Card to my bank account!
P.s anyone have any idea how long it takes?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
So in practice does it get allocated to the highest APR first? To clarify I got a really tempting offer to send a 0% balance transfer from my cities Card to my bank account!
P.s anyone have any idea how long it takes?
Yes.

Citi BT is extremely fast. Couple of days for the DD version.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So in practice does it get allocated to the highest APR first?
Financial institutions do not have a choice. It's THE LAW

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...ard-law-2.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.