Sun Country 40K miles

Old Oct 24, 14, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Sun Country 40K miles

I didn't see much listed when I searched so feel free to move this post

Sun Country CC, 40K miles/ $500 spend , AF waived the first year and one checked bag

https://booksy.suncountry.com/Visa/I...GK6Q3S8ZYG/006

I have never had a card by First Bankcard so I have no idea how hard it is to get.

I realize they have limited routes and seasonal flights but I fly MSP/TPA every spring and they nonstop service.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 24, 14 at 10:25 pm
Old Oct 25, 14, 12:03 am

Programs: All of em...
Interesting deal with a low spend! Don't know anything about their routes nor redeeming miles w/them though. Would be interesting to see how it works out for people.
Old Oct 25, 14, 1:34 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
It's always nice to see a new product issued by a new bank. It's been kinda boring for quite a while.

Now, I've never flown Sun Country, but they are a Spirit-like no-thrills airline that have their fans and haters. Internationally, they fly to Mexico and the Caribbean. Thanks for sharing, OP!
Old Oct 25, 14, 1:32 pm

Programs: On leave from moderator duties until March
Redemption is on some kind of tiered system... maybe tied to price?

40k is not even enough for a single round trip on some of the searches I tried.
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by x712xdamx View Post
Interesting deal with a low spend! Don't know anything about their routes nor redeeming miles w/them though. Would be interesting to see how it works out for people.
Originally Posted by mnscout View Post
It's always nice to see a new product issued by a new bank. It's been kinda boring for quite a while.

Now, I've never flown Sun Country, but they are a Spirit-like no-thrills airline that have their fans and haters. Internationally, they fly to Mexico and the Caribbean. Thanks for sharing, OP!
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Redemption is on some kind of tiered system... maybe tied to price?

40k is not even enough for a single round trip on some of the searches I tried.

I flew Sun Country once way back when Northwest was on strike in 2005 , R/T MSP to LAX and I didn't notice any difference.

As far as the 40.5 K miles I can get a R/T MSP to TPA non stop for under 40K points in April which is when I travel.

They also offer one way awards so maybe for some that $500 spend is only a one way flight.

Maybe it helps some people as it helps me while I wait to get UA DL ( business) and AA cards again.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 25, 14 at 8:09 pm
Old Nov 16, 14, 6:16 pm

This is a pretty decent deal. I live in Minneapolis (central hub for sun country) and travel frequently to the west coast so sun country has generally been an affordable alternative to delta. they are a budget airline but don't charge fees for carry-on baggage like spirit and frontier. they also serve surly beer on board so that's definitely a plus. I've flown using their points before and was able to book a round trip flight from MSP-LAX for under 40,000. i've been meaning to sign up for this card but they previously did not waive the first year fee. might be time to make the plunge! thanks for the tip!
Old Nov 16, 14, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
This is a pretty decent deal. I live in Minneapolis (central hub for sun country) and travel frequently to the west coast so sun country has generally been an affordable alternative to delta. they are a budget airline but don't charge fees for carry-on baggage like spirit and frontier. they also serve surly beer on board so that's definitely a plus. I've flown using their points before and was able to book a round trip flight from MSP-LAX for under 40,000. i've been meaning to sign up for this card but they previously did not waive the first year fee. might be time to make the plunge! thanks for the tip!
Glad it helped, I may grab it at some point for MSP/TPA
Old Jun 20, 15, 7:22 pm

Likely not a friendly bank for churners - both wife & I denied for "excess inquiries". We certainly are pretty high right now but we equally got new BOA Alaskan Airlines cards around the same time (after already having them) - so thinking this one may not be worth the hard pull attempt for others...
Old Jun 20, 15, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
I've flown Sun Country a number of times, as I live in MSP, which is Sun Country's hub city. They fly us out of the arctic during winter months to warm destinations One good thing about their program is that you can move points between family/friends without any fees.

However I have not applied for their card yet. Anyone have experience getting approved for their card if they have opened about 8 cards in the past 2 years?
Old Sep 14, 17, 11:23 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
I had the Sun Country card and cancelled it about four years ago. Anyone know whether I can get a second bonus if I apply again now?