Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You should be sent the Visa card's (theoretically cash advance only) PIN along with the card itself before you leave. However, it likely won't be necessary at kiosks, as folks have reported tickets are regularly popped out automatically under a certain amount, the same way some supermarkets and such waive a signature under $25 or so.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You should be sent the Visa card's (theoretically cash advance only) PIN along with the card itself before you leave. However, it likely won't be necessary at kiosks, as folks have reported tickets are regularly popped out automatically under a certain amount, the same way some supermarkets and such waive a signature under $25 or so.
IIRC I wasn't sent the PIN when I first got my BoA card years ago. Of course, things may have changed since then.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Will the contactless AMEX card issued in the US work in the UK at all businesses that take AMEX including transportation ticket machines, grocery stores, museums, etc?
The contactless cards with the offline authentication (CDA for MC and AmEx, fDDA for Visa) are only eligible to fare at London tube and buses.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lyolik
The contactless cards with the offline authentication (CDA for MC and AmEx, fDDA for Visa) are only eligible to fare at London tube and buses.
According to the TFL site all Amex cards work on contactless travel as opposed to some Visa and MasterCard cards.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tmiw
Whether a PIN is used is different from whether a transaction's considered a cash advance. For example, using your card at a bank teller to pull cash may ask for your signature instead of a PIN but it will count as a cash advance. In the case of an unattended machine it should count as a purchase.
I understand what you're saying. Also, now that I think about it, it would be obvious that I'm not getting a cash advance as I would have a receipt (or be able to get it online).

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The card is supposed to arrive on Tuesday via UPS. There was no mention of a PIN and I don't remember ever receiving a PIN on other Visa cards. I certainly will find out.

I'm sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean by "only eligible to fare"? I can't use the card online for trains to/from London and then get the tickets from a machine with the contactless AMEX once I arrive in the UK?

Originally Posted by reclusive46
According to the TFL site all Amex cards work on contactless travel as opposed to some Visa and MasterCard cards.
Ok, at least I am pretty sure that my contactless AMEX will work when I put money on my Oyster card.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:41 am

Ok, at least I am pretty sure that my contactless AMEX will work when I put money on my Oyster card.
No need to use Oyster. Its cheaper just to tap in at the barriers with your Amex due to better capping of fares.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:01 am

No need to use Oyster. Its cheaper just to tap in at the barriers with your Amex due to better capping of fares.
Are you saying that the Oyster card is no longer needed and I can just tap the AMEX card at the entrance and exit of the Tube as well as on buses? Or is tapping the AMEX cheaper than tapping the Oyster? Is there a cheaper capping fare for Zones 1 & 2 if I use the AMEX directly at the barriers vs using the Oyster? Now I definitely need clarification!

I thought I am to use the AMEX to put money on the Oyster card at the machines and then when I tap the Oyster at entrance and exit, the capping of fares will automatically happen.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:50 am

Now I definitely need clarification!
You can find the answers to your questions at the TfL site.

www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 am

You can find the answers to your questions at the TfL site.
Thanks for the link. Ok, so it looks like it's all the same whether I use the Oyster or not. The one thing I like about using the Oyster instead of the AMEX is that I can leave the AMEX in my wallet in my purse which is more secure than leaving it in my pocket for easy access to tap the readers.

Lyolik, I'm not sure if you saw the question I had for you, but I didn't understand what you meant by this:

Are you saying that that the contactless cards can only be used on the tube/buses but not on Heathrow Connect or National Rail?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:34 am

I'm not sure if you saw the question I had for you, but I didn't understand what you meant by this:
It means that not all cards issued in US will work for the UK contactless transit transactions.

Last edited by Lyolik; Mar 2, 2015 at 8:14 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:44 am

Thanks for the link. Ok, so it looks like it's all the same whether I use the Oyster or not. The one thing I like about using the Oyster instead of the AMEX is that I can leave the AMEX in my wallet in my purse which is more secure than leaving it in my pocket for easy access to tap the readers.

Lyolik, I'm not sure if you saw the question I had for you, but I didn't understand what you meant by this:

Are you saying that that the contactless cards can only be used on the tube/buses but not on Heathrow Connect or National Rail?
Yes you can just tap Amex instead of topping up Oyster card.

It depends how long your here. Contactless is capped around £30 for the week. Oyster doesn't have weekly capping. Contactless works on National rail in London (anyone oyster is accepted in) but not Heathrow connect.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:21 am

Yes you can just tap Amex instead of topping up Oyster card.

It depends how long your here. Contactless is capped around £30 for the week. Oyster doesn't have weekly capping. Contactless works on National rail in London (anyone oyster is accepted in) but not Heathrow connect.
Thanks, reclusive46. I'll be in London for just a few days so I won't need a weekly cap. Will the daily cap of £6.40 for zones 1-2 apply if I just use the AMEX instead of the Oyster?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 am

Thanks, reclusive46. I'll be in London for just a few days so I won't need a weekly cap. Will the daily cap of £6.40 for zones 1-2 apply if I just use the AMEX instead of the Oyster?

Yes the daily cap also applies on contactless.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Skymiles
So Samsung just announced new phones with magnetic stripe induction for contact less payments built in. And worked with MasterCard for some weird EMV over mag stripe implementation that would only work through a phone. I'm interested to see how this works.

Obviously it won't work with mag stripe cards and I don't think this will slow chip adoption.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:28 am

Can we see what type of offline authentication a contactless card has using a smart card scanner?

I have a Wells Fargo Visa rewards card with chip/pin and contactless that I would like to try out on the London Underground next month. I just don't want to be "that person" at the turnstile that backs everyone up when their card doesn't work.

Anyone use a Wells Fargo contactless card on the Underground?

jb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.