Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
The VX820's at Subway has the same pulsing Verifone logo as the VX520, so they must all have that? Here is Apple Pay with a VX520 First Data merchant services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--9hEQee8k Also zero lights and no Contactless logo, makes me wonder if some will still work even without the lights lighting up hmm.
Huh, the receipt says "waved". No EMV related data on it though. (Compare with http://emvacceptedhere.com/sample_re...sd_contactless which says "proximity" instead.)

I also see a bit of blue on one of the indicator lights but that could be light bleed from the pulsing Verifone logo. Since the other lights are hidden by the phone I'm not sure we can conclude whether they're used at all.

EDIT: lights apparently don't come on at all in the following video (in Portuguese or Italian I think) using a physical card:

Old May 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tmiw
Why are the EMV readers behind the register a problem, out of curiosity?
Harder to control what happens with DCC.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Harder to control what happens with DCC.
True. I didn't know Poland was a bad DCC country though.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I ended up eating today at that place with the FD40 setup and can confirm that Apple Pay does work. Unfortunately it looks like no CVM was used instead of mobile device CVM:

I think I would need to spend >$50 somewhere to have that happen though, which could be a challenge.

(BTW the food was good.)
Old May 24, 2015, 9:57 pm

So I ended up eating today at that place with the FD40 setup and can confirm that Apple Pay does work. Unfortunately it looks like no CVM was used instead of mobile device CVM:

I think I would need to spend >$50 somewhere to have that happen though, which could be a challenge.

(BTW the food was good.)
No TC/ARQC on that receipt, which is weird.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
No TC/ARQC on that receipt, which is weird.
TC is only for contact EMV IIRC. The AID is really the only "required" item on the receipt I think; the rest are niceties.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:01 am

(BTW the food was good.)
Nice, so how hard was it to run an Apple Pay transaction on Clover? I know a place with the same setup with the FD40 pinpad, although there seems to be no videos on how to run Contactless through them. I went there and at idle it showed the Contactless logo but zero lights were of course lit because no sale was started.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice, so how hard was it to run an Apple Pay transaction on Clover? I know a place with the same setup with the FD40 pinpad, although there seems to be no videos on how to run Contactless through them. I went there and at idle it showed the Contactless logo but zero lights were of course lit because no sale was started.
They have to push something specifically on their end to enable the FD40. There was also a magstripe reader on the tablet itself which I presume is always on or is a different option than the FD40.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:02 am

They have to push something specifically on their end to enable the FD40. There was also a magstripe reader on the tablet itself which I presume is always on or is a different option than the FD40.
I was at another place today with the same Clover/FD40 setup. But they didn't insert my card into the FD40, instead they just swiped it on the Clover tablet itself and it went through that way. So either they're not activated for EMV yet or the tablet doesn't enforce the service code. Both places I've seen with the Clover/FD40 have the FD40 facing the cashier, though the one that processed the transaction using EMV did hand it to me to add in the tip, and I signed with my finger on the tablet. Today's place had the options to add tip and sign on the tablet screen.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:16 am

Correct, it's unclear how connected the magstripe reader on the tablet and the FD40 are. "Debit" on the tablet uses the FD40, "Credit" uses the magstripe. I imagine First Data will do something like disable "Credit" when the FD40 is attached or something, but for now they actually encourage the FD40 to only be used for debit/Apple Pay/EMV cards. The issue is, of course, without anything to enforce the service code just copy an EMV stripe onto a card without a chip... *sigh*
Old May 25, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's pretty telling when they don't mention anything about contactless cards in the US (article here):

Most of the cards issued in China this year and next year are dual interface cards, and in many countries, these now outnumber traditional ‘contact only’ cards.
Apple Pay and Google Wallet better take off here (as in the majority of transactions are done with either) or we'll end up becoming the laughing-stock yet again in 5-10 years time. I can just imagine the "Oh you still insert plastic cards into readers in the US? We in the rest of the world haven't done that in years." type posts on other forums now.

Also, Panera might as well not support NFC at all; I've pretty much crossed it off my personal NFC merchant list at this point. Went tonight, ended up at the one register without a MX915/925 attached again. I swear, all the other registers have them but they're never open and it's like they're explicitly avoiding using the NFC capable ones for some reason. FWIW I had no problems the few times I was able to use it (close to when Apple Pay came out) so I don't understand the reluctance on the part of the staff there. And I really don't want to be that guy who makes them void the transaction, open the adjacent register and ring up everything again just so I can use a phone or watch to pay.

/rant

(Of course, YMMV. I don't have much experience with Panera other than the one closest to my house so it could be different elsewhere.)
Old May 25, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
American banks have the job of countering the myth that contactless = fraud. Moreover, with many merchants going NO CVM under a certain amount, that's effectively the same thing as "contactless" for many folks.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
American banks have the job of countering the myth that contactless = fraud. Moreover, with many merchants going NO CVM under a certain amount, that's effectively the same thing as "contactless" for many folks.
I'm not convinced that's that big of a hurdle though. People obviously seem to have no issues with Apple Pay or Google Wallet, albeit the NFC radios on smartphones and watches aren't on unless the owner's authenticated (either by unlocking the screen/entering PIN or using thumbprint). Once EMV gets turned on in more places using Apple Pay will effectively be the same as having an infinite No CVM limit, which has to have some sort of value to people.

The biggest problem with contactless in the US has always been low merchant acceptance, which is fortunately changing now.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:09 pm

Also, Panera might as well not support NFC at all; I've pretty much crossed it off my personal NFC merchant list at this point. Went tonight, ended up at the one register without a MX915/925 attached again. I swear, all the other registers have them but they're never open and it's like they're explicitly avoiding using the NFC capable ones for some reason. FWIW I had no problems the few times I was able to use it (close to when Apple Pay came out) so I don't understand the reluctance on the part of the staff there. And I really don't want to be that guy who makes them void the transaction, open the adjacent register and ring up everything again just so I can use a phone or watch to pay.

/rant

(Of course, YMMV. I don't have much experience with Panera other than the one closest to my house so it could be different elsewhere.)
That is weird, I've had no issues with Panera and if they aren't on a tap and pay register I ask them to go to one (before I order) and they have no issues doing that for me. I did notice they removed an MX925 from a tap and pay register the last time I was at one like last weekend, but that register looked like it wasn't even being used anymore. They had a Tap and pay register and and non tap and pay register open.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is weird, I've had no issues with Panera and if they aren't on a tap and pay register I ask them to go to one (before I order) and they have no issues doing that for me. I did notice they removed an MX925 from a tap and pay register the last time I was at one like last weekend, but that register looked like it wasn't even being used anymore. They had a Tap and pay register and and non tap and pay register open.
It's weird, there are a bunch of registers but the most I've seen open at a time is maybe two of them. I was unhappy last night because I don't feel like I should have to do stuff like that, but maybe asking before ordering isn't so bad. Compared to places like that business I went to this morning that hid their (maybe contactless/EMV supporting) terminal altogether anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.