Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

REI Visa (USBank) $100 GC for signup and 1 purchase before 9/1/2014

Old Aug 1, 14, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Not sure how well known this one is but I was just in REI and saw them promoting this offer: http://www.reivisa.com/

It's a pretty awesome deal if you have an REI around you.. and even if you don't you might be able to meet the 1 purchase req. with an online purchase.

Additionally, REI is a great store with amazing customer service and return policies.

Cheers!
Old Aug 1, 14, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Doesn't excite me. Most cards I sign up for give me $400+ in value. Some might like it though so thanks for the post.
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Doesn't excite me. Most cards I sign up for give me $400+ in value. Some might like it though so thanks for the post.
Which card is offering this kind of value with under 5 minutes of work?
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by cit1 View Post
Any of them
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibleed0range View Post
Any of them
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:57 pm

Well, the US Air card for one gives you 40,000 miles after 1 purchase. That's anywhere from $400-1000 in value depending on what sort of redemption you get. If you have Serve set up then any card with a <$3000 in 3 months spending requirement could also be satisfied with about 5-10 mins work, and that covers most cards. Even going to CVS, buying some gift cards, buying a money order, and then dropping it off at an ATM is <1 hour for most people, and since $100 in 5 mins is not repeatable, 60 mins for $250-1000 is a much better prospect. Unless you're buying thousands of dollars worth of gear at REI every year (and getting 5% back on it) this card isn't so hot. Not trying to be a jerk--just explaining why for most people this would not seem worth spending a hard pull on given the other options, particularly since it's US Bank which sometimes rejects even people with high credit scores if they have too many inquiries.
Old Aug 1, 14, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jedck View Post
Well, the US Air card for one gives you 40,000 miles after 1 purchase. That's anywhere from $400-1000 in value depending on what sort of redemption you get. If you have Serve set up then any card with a <$3000 in 3 months spending requirement could also be satisfied with about 5-10 mins work, and that covers most cards. Even going to CVS, buying some gift cards, buying a money order, and then dropping it off at an ATM is <1 hour for most people, and since $100 in 5 mins is not repeatable, 60 mins for $250-1000 is a much better prospect. Unless you're buying thousands of dollars worth of gear at REI every year (and getting 5% back on it) this card isn't so hot. Not trying to be a jerk--just explaining why for most people this would not seem worth spending a hard pull on given the other options, particularly since it's US Bank which sometimes rejects even people with high credit scores if they have too many inquiries.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification
Old Aug 1, 14, 5:14 pm
jmw

REI = Really Expensive Inside

There is no dividend on reasonably priced (discounted or on sale) items.

I have a membership at REI. I avoid buying unless it's the only option, which happens from time to time with outdoor gear. I do visit to buy stuff. For winter sports, I like buying last year's model or even older.

I'm sure you can get an REI gift card at an office supply store or grocery store to get the 5% discount with the right card.

Just say no to this card.

I agree that a good card needs to deliver $400 or otherwise be really special.
Old Aug 1, 14, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Yeah. Generally churners have pretty high standards for using a hard pull

To answer your question
Airlines: AA, WN, UA, DL, US, AV, AS, LH, etc.
Fixed value: Arrival, Flexperks, Propel, etc.
Transfer: SPG, CSP, Amex charge cards, etc.
Old Aug 1, 14, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I agree $100 is not even close to being worthy of a hard pull...way to many options to get $400+ value per pull
Old Aug 2, 14, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by jmw View Post
REI = Really Expensive Inside

There is no dividend on reasonably priced (discounted or on sale) items.

I have a membership at REI. I avoid buying unless it's the only option, which happens from time to time with outdoor gear. I do visit to buy stuff. For winter sports, I like buying last year's model or even older.
Like 10 years ago, there was a bunch of inexpensive stuff I liked at REI. I used to buy a lot of clothing that had the REI label on it. I liked it because it was inexpensive, well-made, and didn't have a logo on it.

About 5 years ago, some yahoos started running the place somehow. They put logos on everything, even the socks I used to buy now have a giant REI logo in them. And they jacked up the prices. Their REI clothing is probably still well made. But now it's expensive and has logos all over it.
Old Dec 31, 14, 10:28 am

I have this card and got the $100 GC for signing up in 10/2013.

It's okay, but it was really hard to get even with pristine credit. I had to call US Bank several times to sort out various hold-ups in the approval process manually.

If you spend a lot at REI, it might be worthwhile for the extra 5% in your dividend. Otherwise, I'd pass.. there are much easier ways to get $100 of value from CC bonuses.
Old Mar 16, 15, 11:00 am

Looks like this REI Visa Signature card is disappearing, in favor of an REI MasterCard. They're adding 2% back on groceries as well (through 03/2016, anyway). New cards will be sent to all current REI Visa cardholders, according to the letter I got in the mail, starting in 05/2015?

Not a huge user of this card, but as long as it has no annual fee, I guess I can stick it in the 'ol sock drawer when they send the new version.