Wiki Posts
Search

Most new CC account/year. 24? 48? 100+?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat

What is the most new credit card accounts you have opened in one year?

24 apps/yr is an upper limit for my experience. 6 every 90 days, or 2 per month.

Who here has done double or triple this?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Why??
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike2200
Why??
One thing I appreciate about FlyerTalk is the quantity and diversity of people here. My perception of reality may be limited and if so, I suspect there are people here who will share their experience to expand my vision.

For example, in another thread someone made a comment how they suspected that the maximum credit Citi would extend to a single consumer was about $30k. I know for sure this is too low and suspected that this number was well over $100k and commented as such. Sure enough, other users also commented confirming the $100k+ number. Hopefully, this helped to open the vision of possibility of that user.

In my case, my knowledge says that the maximum new CC apps per year is about 24. Of course, there are extreme cases of a person doing 13 apps in a single time, like here and that was a one time event. This was not repeated every 90 day. That year in total was at best less that 24 total new CC apps.

Make sense?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:23 am

I suspect the limiting factor would be inquiries. Most issuers routinely deny for too many inquiries at the bureau they pulled.

You might have a 790 credit score, but if Citi pulls Experian and sees 14 hard pulls they're going to auto deny you.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:37 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
yeah your Q has a lotta adjustable variables (that you can rig, for a lack of a better phrase, to your hearts desire) which makes the answer very very subjective. depending a whole lot on how hard any given person plays this game.

cause some banks will knock you out from the get go when they see too many INQs on your report. others may have internal tracks on you to see if you've applied too many times and wont even consider your application. in others cases, one bank may consider only one app and not others if you apply on the same day using 2BM/3BM/4BM tricks hoping to merge HPs. in yet another case you may get your app to a pending status and if INQs are not an issue, a credit analyst may see your excessive new accounts and may deny you based on that (along with other factors.)

so it'd be interesting to see what kinda numbers folks put up without any 'hacking' or intervening aka playing by the book. and what that real arbitrary limit is, given sufficient positive history with all kinda issuers along with diverse sources of credits and an extended AAoA etc.

lastly, not to mention if you count Biz apps -- that opens up a whole another can of worms in terms of putting up some serious numbers.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTRox87
yeah your Q has a lotta adjustable variables (that you can rig, for a lack of a better phrase, to your hearts desire) which makes the answer very very subjective. depending a whole lot on how hard any given person plays this game.
FTRox87, this is true assuming I asked "What is the most new credit card accounts I have opened in one year?"

I asked "What is the most new credit card accounts you have opened in one year?"

To me it's the same as asking "What's the fastest you have ever run 1 mile?"

Let's assume, I said "According to my info the fasted 1 mile is run in 5 minutes". There is probably someone on this board who has run a mile faster than that and they could respond "I have run a mile in 4:10" therefore changing my expectation of what is humanly possibly. I doubt anyone will truthfully respond "I have run a mile in 30 seconds".

Same with CC apps. "I have done 24 in one year." Is there anyone here that can say "I have done 50 in one year" or "I have done 100 in one year"?

BTW, one year = any consecutive 12 month period.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I know and I look forward to those folks responses... I'm just saying your Q is subjective as opposed to plain jane objective, by the book. cause it really depends on how much work someone is willing to put in. so the theoretical answer may very well be diff from a practical answer.

what I'm saying is that just because someone can do 50, and its possible for them (using B* while avoiding C*/S*) may not be possible for others because they arent all that advanced in the game.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:42 pm

The most I have ever opened in a year is 2
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:59 pm

I opened 14 in the past 12 months, since I don't MS that's about the most I can do per year.

Since Amex is now one bonus per lifetime on personal cards and Chase is at least a 2 year wait on United and Marriott cards if Citi ever ends it's churn this game will be a lot more difficult.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: All of em...
Some of the craziest people don't ever post about their success... I have seen people on Dansdeals forums mention applying for up to double digits of the Alaska Airline card at a time and other deals like that.. Surely there's people w/20+.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Some of the craziest people don't ever post about their success... I have seen people on Dansdeals forums mention applying for up to double digits of the Alaska Airline card at a time and other deals like that.. Surely there's people w/20+.
First I have heard of applying for multiples of the same card at one time. Would you be able to reference these double digit Alaska Airlines posts?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
16 in a calendar year.
21 in a rolling year.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:18 pm

15 in a year is the most i've done
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by sthubbar
First I have heard of applying for multiples of the same card at one time. Would you be able to reference these double digit Alaska Airlines posts?
I too would like to see this/read about it... because it seems very doubtful. the min CL needed for the visa signature AS cards is $5k... so double digit at a min, you're saying BofA would be extending you $50k right off the bat for 10 cards.

unless the OP is talking about Biz cards, where the CL isnt all that important since the bonus is the same. and also is more believable cause lots of folks have multiple businesses (EINs/tax IDs to apply via.)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by FTRox87
I too would like to see this/read about it... because it seems very doubtful. the min CL needed for the visa signature AS cards is $5k... so double digit at a min, you're saying BofA would be extending you $50k right off the bat for 10 cards.

unless the OP is talking about Biz cards, where the CL isnt all that important since the bonus is the same. and also is more believable cause lots of folks have multiple businesses (EINs/tax IDs to apply via.)
We've seen crazier things done by banks...
Ya'll are welcome to go over to that site and read the AS thread on the forums. It has long been known that FT, while being very informative, is not where the most extreme people post. I was shocked reading that thread as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.