Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

for U.S. residents who frequently travel int'l

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate those security locks too. I just had an opposite problem last week. My purchase in NYC was declined and account locked. I called and was asked "aren't you in Netherlands?"; "No, that was last month." Apparently, Citi travel notifications are just memos, they are not automated.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
I hate those security locks too. I just had an opposite problem last week. My purchase in NYC was declined and account locked. I called and was asked "aren't you in Netherlands?"; "No, that was last month." Apparently, Citi travel notifications are just memos, they are not automated.
The US is one of the worst places when it comes to processing transactions under a different location, which can cause problems sometimes as well. I had one of my UK banks call up and ask if there was anything going on as I'd apparently been in Miami, Chicago and Atlanta all within an hour period. What had actually happened is the Delta lounge has processed a transaction as though it was in Atlanta, a vending machine processed a transaction as though it was in Chicago and a transaction I made in an airport shop was showing correctly as being in Miami airport. They didn't actually block the card though, they just gave me a ring to make sure.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've traveled overseas multiple times each year for 20 years and I've never called a CC issuer beforehand about my travels. I believe once or twice something was declined, but the occurrence was so rare it hardly mattered, and just responding to the subsequent email or going online fixed the problem. I do carry multiple cards just in case, mostly Chase.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: All of em...
Gosh, in several years of traveling & touring I don't think I've ever had a transaction declined overseas by Chase, Citi, or Barclays. Mostly Chase & Barclays, with the most purchases and countries visited being on the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Plus/Bold, Chase United Explorer pers & biz, and the Barclays Arrival Plus.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic

chase has actually told me that I don't even need to tell them anymore I'm traveling overseas
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Often1
No issues here. Sounds like we have an isolated problem between OP and his CC issuer. May be worth considering a more "global" bank.
Mine is Citi, the standard Amex they issue for the AA Advantage tie-in.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt

get yourself an Amex card, few things in this world give you a better cost Vs. benifet equation.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I've traveled overseas multiple times each year for 20 years and I've never called a CC issuer beforehand about my travels. I believe once or twice something was declined, but the occurrence was so rare it hardly mattered, and just responding to the subsequent email or going online fixed the problem. I do carry multiple cards just in case, mostly Chase.
This is exactly my experience. No notifications, although I told Chase that we have a UK residence, and that they would see recurring charges even when we were in the USA. I do not recall ever having a transaction declined due to travel. Nonetheless, I carry one each American Express, MasterCard and VISA from three separate issuers because any issuer or network may experience a technical fault.

Bear in mind that the Amex-network cards issued by Bank of America, Barclays, Citibank etc are serviced by the issuers, not by American Express.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
If you told us who the issuer was we could give better advice.

Have not had any issues internationally with Amex, Chase or Citi. Chase gives me more grief for US txns, but a quick call with "I'll take this spend to Amex" fixed that.

I never tell them before hand. Most large issuers have decent fraud systems, though they mostly outsource to Falcon.

I carry an Amex Plat, a Chase CSP (Visa) and a Citi AA Exec (MasterCard). That way I have redundant cards across three banks and networks.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
This is exactly my experience. No notifications, although I told Chase that we have a UK residence, and that they would see recurring charges even when we were in the USA. I do not recall ever having a transaction declined due to travel. Nonetheless, I carry one each American Express, MasterCard and VISA from three separate issuers because any issuer or network may experience a technical fault.

Bear in mind that the Amex-network cards issued by Bank of America, Barclays, Citibank etc are serviced by the issuers, not by American Express.
I've had exactly the opposite experience with traveling primarily in Central and South America. If I don't tell them ahead of time I get flagged.

OP - I'm not a ...... such as yourself, but I've never had a problem with my Chase Sapphire since I got it. I go online to Chase.com, put in my destinations, and it works just fine.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
I go online to Chase.com, put in my destinations, and it works just fine.
Can you provide information about where on Chase.com this information is placed? Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by ccengct
Mine is Citi, the standard Amex they issue for the AA Advantage tie-in.
I haven't had a problem logging in from outside the US from the places I go but I have heard some places are mores suspicious than others. If this is a big problem, consider getting a US VPN, then all your logins will be coming rom inside the US and shouldn't trigger anything.

Re travel notifications: as noted, sometimes these work (or things would have worked anyway!) and sometimes they don't. My daughter notified Cap One of her travel to the UK, they blocked the first purchase as suspicious, and then tried to contact her on her US mobile. Not impressed!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld

OP - I'm not a ...... such as yourself, but I've never had a problem with my Chase Sapphire since I got it. I go online to Chase.com, put in my destinations, and it works just fine.
I wonder if you haven't had any problems with your chase card is because its probably EMV (and I'm assuming some of your other cards aren't). In the 11 years I've been doing EMV transactions, I've never ever had an EMV transaction declined (As the issuer knows the card is genuine).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I wonder if you haven't had any problems with your chase card is because its probably EMV (and I'm assuming some of your other cards aren't). In the 11 years I've been doing EMV transactions, I've never ever had an EMV transaction declined (As the issuer knows the card is genuine).
I've wondered if the fraud detection systems of American issuers are smart enough to distinguish between chip-read and stripe-read transactions and mark chip-read transactions as substantially lower risk?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I had Citi block a purchase in the USVI on an AAdvantage Executive Card. They allowed me to buy lunch but not groceries even though I had notified them of the trip and received an email acknowledgement. I also had Chase block a local purchase of $500 worth of beer immediately after $400 of groceries, but I hadn't told them I was catering for 200 people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.