Wiki Posts
Search

How many US Airways MC do you have?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat

The US Airways MasterCard that offers 10,000 points each year, just for paying the $89 annual fee seems like a reasonable way to acquire those miles at $0.0089/mile. Barclay's doesn't seem to mind people having multiples of the same card open. This all may change with the AA merger.

I have acquired 4 of these and am thinking about getting more. Barclay may only like about 2 apps per year, so I won't be pushing this hard.

What is the most number of these cards anyone has?
Old May 15, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I only have one that I received January. My Arrival issued in March.

How long to wait before I apply for 2nd US MC?
Old May 15, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by sthubbar
The US Airways MasterCard that offers 10,000 points each year, just for paying the $89 annual fee seems like a reasonable way to acquire those miles at $0.0089/mile. Barclay's doesn't seem to mind people having multiples of the same card open. This all may change with the AA merger.

I have acquired 4 of these and am thinking about getting more. Barclay may only like about 2 apps per year, so I won't be pushing this hard.

What is the most number of these cards anyone has?
Better yet, get the 10K and cancel the card thus avoiding the AF and acquire 45K for $0

I have 4 Barclay cards open ( Wyndham, Arrival, 2 US) cancelled a USAir ~2 months ago after the 10K posted
Old May 15, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jan_believes
How long to wait before I apply for 2nd US MC?
I don't know the rule. I wait 6 months to a year.

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Better yet, get the 10K and cancel the card thus avoiding the AF and acquire 45K for $0
Darn, I think this common sense advice is right on the money. I was under some false sense of loyalty to the bank that they were giving me the miles that I could at least pay the annual fee. It's not like I hear people saying that Barclay is closing down accounts like Citi, Chase or Amex, and even if they did, losing Barclay would be less of an impact.

I'll consider letting the next anniversary bonus apply for each card and then close them.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Waited week and a half after cancellation.
Auto approved for the second card.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by sthubbar
I don't know the rule. I wait 6 months to a year.

Darn, I think this common sense advice is right on the money. I was under some false sense of loyalty to the bank that they were giving me the miles that I could at least pay the annual fee. It's not like I hear people saying that Barclay is closing down accounts like Citi, Chase or Amex, and even if they did, losing Barclay would be less of an impact.

I'll consider letting the next anniversary bonus apply for each card and then close them.
I have paid 2 annual fees in my life both on chase SW cards, got me 104K miles and 98% of the way towards a 20 month companion pass.

Basically $138 for 8 - 10 R/T domestic flights, hard to beat that and the AF's could not be avoided
Old May 16, 2014, 12:22 am

YMMV i waited 9 months to apply for my 2nd card and got denied because something like sufficient amount of credit available.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:17 am

I got a USAirways card almost two years ago - the one w/o the 10K bonus. Never been able to get approved for another one.

I've thought about cancelling and trying again, but I don't want to end up with zero cards. I like the companion certificate, free luggage, 5k discount, etc.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:02 am

Got my first in Aug 2012, paid the fee, received 10K anniversary miles. Got the second in Oct 2013. Still have both. My strategy will be to pay the fee on the first and cancel the second, reapply... if they're still around to apply for.

Side note. Only received the 15K mile/ $750 offer on the first card. Anyone get that offer on their second?
Old May 16, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by playin0
Got my first in Aug 2012, paid the fee, received 10K anniversary miles. Got the second in Oct 2013. Still have both. My strategy will be to pay the fee on the first and cancel the second, reapply... if they're still around to apply for.

Side note. Only received the 15K mile/ $750 offer on the first card. Anyone get that offer on their second?
I believe I got the 15k/$750 offer on all my cards and I am now at #4.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

I have two and my mom has two. All four will be cancelled at their renewal dates since all the good perks are getting scrapped (companion passes &10k pqm for sure, poss the 10k anniv too). Might start churning for the sign up bonus... just depends on what other offers are available.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by skitch23
I have two and my mom has two. All four will be cancelled at their renewal dates since all the good perks are getting scrapped (companion passes &10k pqm for sure, poss the 10k anniv too).
Has this been confirmed? I thought it was just a rumor.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I believe I got the 15k/$750 offer on all my cards and I am now at #4.
How many have you canceled out of the 4?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:30 pm

US Air Barcays MC eliminating Companion Cert in 2014

Originally Posted by nall
Has this been confirmed? I thought it was just a rumor.
Rumors of Companion certificate going away are true. I got official notifications in the mail a couple of days ago.
It mentions the new perks like one free checked bag, but has a whole column titled in bolds caps: Maximize these benefits as they will be discontinued in2015.

It says: If you have not already received your companion certificate, you'll receive our final companion certificate on your account anniversary in 2014, you'll receive your final companion certificate...."

It also mentions that the single free US Airways Club Pass and membership discount toward US Air club membership is the final one I will receive.

Lastly, it says I can continue to enjoy First class check in until the end of 2014.

It does list some "exciting new benefits that are coming...like receive 10% of miles back after redeeming them , 25% of inflight purchases and $100 flight discount if I have $30 K spend annually. It also says I can now earn and redeem miles on AA flights. When my card anniversary comes up in August, I will be cancelling as the benefits gained are not as attractive as the benefits lost. Oldmanbob (long time lurker, first time posting)
Old May 17, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by oldmanbob
Rumors of Companion certificate going away are true. I got official notifications in the mail a couple of days ago.
It mentions the new perks like one free checked bag, but has a whole column titled in bolds caps: Maximize these benefits as they will be discontinued in2015.)
Can confirm, received the same notification in the mail today. Looks like Barclays is aligning the benefits of this card to match the Citi AA Platinum...translation: no longer a keeper regardless of the # of cards held

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.