Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn miles but youre actually earning cash back with the card since you cant transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so youre effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zrich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
Ah, i said funny thing bc it was the plat select that was converted to Aviator many moons ago ircc. Didn't know about new sapphire rule as I am so over 5/24 i havent paid attn to chase since the csr 100K.

Edit: had a total brainfart and confused the plat select with the us airways mc

I hear yea,I'm ready for a 2 year break as my wife will just get one card, 80% of spend done, next card, etc. We don't MS so I have had over $15K of Costco and Hyvee gift cards at times.

All the spreadsheet work, new rules, etc, etc................it's like a job,lol
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did husband's app - Instant approval on A+, followed by instant declined on Aviator 15 min later. He has an existing US legacy from 2013, converted to Aviator card.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I hear yea,I'm ready for a 2 year break as my wife will just get one card, 80% of spend done, next card, etc. We don't MS so I have had over $15K of Costco and Hyvee gift cards at times.

All the spreadsheet work, new rules, etc, etc................it's like a job,lol
Are you buying stuff at Costco to resell? It would take us 10+ years to spend that much at Costco.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Are you buying stuff at Costco to resell? It would take us 10+ years to spend that much at Costco.
NO, we do most of our shopping there. I'm a former competitive bodybuilder who still stays in shape so I eat a lot and we buy everything in bulk.

It probably took us 10 months to go through 15K as we bought a TV, new Carpet cleaner and other appliances, car tires. Costco sells just about everything

I did find a trick though as we bought a TV for $1500 and had to return it, they asked us if I wanted cash of a gift card, I took the $$ and paid on different gift cards ( I buy $500 value in case we ever lose one) for the replacement.

I'm sure if a person wanted to they could find much smaller items ( Jewelry perhaps) than a TV to return for cash.
ashishsg likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Did husband's app - Instant approval on A+, followed by instant declined on Aviator 15 min later. He has an existing US legacy from 2013, converted to Aviator card.
Given our past discussions I'm guessing your husband is well over 6/24 but was still approved for the Arrival ?

When was his last Arrival ?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by duranza
Was planning to have husband apply for his 4th in early Oct. but seeing that the 50k offer was ending soon I made the application and was first given a message of need to review but upon checking status he was denied and a letter to be mailed.
This would have been his 4th and last one was canceled in January.
:-(

Letter arrived today quoting too many recent inquiries in last 24 mos.

Just checked via creditkarma which looks like 8 in last 24 mos and 7 in last 12 mos.

Guess he needs to wait a bit longer for the next application, since 3 will fall past the 24 mos in Jan 2018.

Last edited by duranza; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by duranza
Letter arrived today quoting too many recent inquiries in last 24 mos.

Just checked via creditkarma which looks like 8 in last 24 mos and 7 in last 12 mos.

Guess he needs to wait a bit longer for the next application, since 3 will fall past the 24 mos in Jan 2018.
So now we know it's a 24 month rule similar to Chase
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:10 pm

Any recent data points if Barclays will combine pulls for two cards in the same day? I was approved for the Arrival+ and was wondering if I should go for a second card.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/card-...iries/#Barclay

DOC states that they should be combined, but I've seen data points on Reddit that suggest the opposite.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given our past discussions I'm guessing your husband is well over 6/24 but was still approved for the Arrival ?

When was his last Arrival ?
He never has an A+. He was trying to go under 5/24 by Sept to get a CSP to replace the CSR. The only new cards the past 12 months were CSR and AMEX Biz 2x. We even delayed his IHG which he would be eligible for another bonus since Mar or Apr. Then he got the 100K targeted offer in August and we decided to hold off, especially g iven the fact we would be out of the country for most of August and half of Sept.

Alas. Chase changed its policy on Aug 27 from what I read when we were out of the country. There is no more reason to try to get below 5/24. I just wish we did his Aviator sooner while we were still aboard due to the Aviator does not require spend, only first purchase. Alas we came home on Sept 16 and everything has changed. So we picked the surer bet first.

Apparently Aviator app has not triggered a pull as Creditwise only sent an alert on the pull from A+ but no alert from Aviator app 10 or 15 min later.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:45 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:05 pm

Alas. Chase changed its policy on Aug 27 from what I read when we were out of the country. There is no more reason to try to get below 5/24.
Chase changed what policy ?

For you guys perhaps but many people value Southwest CP and I honestly need a break from all this

These new AA mailers have made it crazy lately
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase changed what policy ?

For you guys perhaps but many people value Southwest CP and I honestly need a break from all this

These new AA mailers have made it crazy lately
The Chase new policy - Only one Sapphire card at any given time, and the sign up bonus is once from the family each 24 months. That means even if we cancel the CSR and then get the CSP, we would not get the bonus from CSP.

For our travel needs, Star Alliances work much better than OneWorld. Therefore UR works better. Next to it is AMEX Membership Reward which can be transferred to Aeroplan or DL. Amazingly how DL and AA has traded places when it comes to award seats availability on their own metals. We flew SLC-DFW-FLL a few days ago using AA miles. At the time of booking DL had availability on almost every day for our date range yet it was rather difficult to find AA availability. But since we have far more AA miles than DL miles I trued to use AA miles instead given the cost is the same.

I have only flown WN once almost 20 years ago on a reluctant business trip. My husband has never flown WN. Domestic travels do not apply to us in the most part. I do agree for many people the WN companion pass is the best value out there. Just not for us. For example for the hoopla of the Marriott TP, we did one to AS miles and one to Aeroplan, taken advantage of the 25% bonus in March. Then Aeroplan had a 35% bonus in August. Bummer as I dont want to pile up too much.

The attraction of the Aviator 60K is the no spend requirement. You virtually pay $95 to buy 60K miles. Very cheap. Though in our case it is still like throwing money away to add to an existing heap. It would take us 2 or more years before we get to use THAT 60K. Therefore having cash equivalent actually works better. Though the cheap cost still is a big draw. LOL.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:03 pm

The Chase new policy - Only one Sapphire card at any given time, and the sign up bonus is once from the family each 24 months. That means even if we cancel the CSR and then get the CSP, we would not get the bonus from CSP.

For our travel needs, Star Alliances work much better than OneWorld. Therefore UR works better. Next to it is AMEX Membership Reward which can be transferred to Aeroplan or DL. Amazingly how DL and AA has traded places when it comes to award seats availability on their own metals. We flew SLC-DFW-FLL a few days ago using AA miles. At the time of booking DL had availability on almost every day for our date range yet it was rather difficult to find AA availability. But since we have far more AA miles than DL miles I trued to use AA miles instead given the cost is the same.

I have only flown WN once almost 20 years ago on a reluctant business trip. My husband has never flown WN. Domestic travels do not apply to us in the most part. I do agree for many people the WN companion pass is the best value out there. Just not for us. For example for the hoopla of the Marriott TP, we did one to AS miles and one to Aeroplan, taken advantage of the 25% bonus in March. Then Aeroplan had a 35% bonus in August. Bummer as I dont want to pile up too much.

The attraction of the Aviator 60K is the no spend requirement. You virtually pay $95 to buy 60K miles. Very cheap. Though in our case it is still like throwing money away to add to an existing heap. It would take us 2 or more years before we get to use THAT 60K. Therefore having cash equivalent actually works better. Though the cheap cost still is a big draw. LOL.
It's addicting , we have about 2 million AA miles that we have no plans to use but I keep getting them because it's and easy 65K/$3K

Same with UA, only 170K or so but I see MSP to HNL for 22.5K and MSP/BDL for 25K one way, lol I can fly MSP/BDL nonstop on DL for 12.5 K one way

WN actually has nicer planes now than DL for my MSP/BDL trips except DL is non stop so they win if I fly alone. If my wife comes I don't mind the layovers and of course it's 2 for 1 using CP

We use the Arrival, BOA travel rewards and Venture points for free room charges in Vegas and would have like a fresh card for our Keys trip next year so we either have to grab the Arrival as say card # 4 for my wife or hope Capital One approves her after the 5 Chase cards.

Neither of us have ever had a CSR card ( I have an INK) and my wife has never had a business card at all so we are going to try some of those next year.

All these new rules , stacks of open cards...............I'm ready for a break. Maybe 2 more AA cards, Another Alaska and Marriott Business and I'm done until late 2019.........possibly a last app for a cap one but I doubt I get approved

OK, off topic rant over , lol
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:07 am

As rumored, A+ signup bonus now appears to be 40k/$3k.

That means even if we cancel the CSR and then get the CSP, we would not get the bonus from CSP.
Actually it's not just the bonus, you would flat out be denied for the CSP. In this case, the only way to get CSP would be via product change.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
As rumored, A+ signup bonus now appears to be 40k/$3k.

Actually it's not just the bonus, you would flat out be denied for the CSP. In this case, the only way to get CSP would be via product change.
It was still 50K the morning after the rumor when I took a peek at about 11am EST.

Even after cancelling CSR, meaning NO any Sapphire card it would still be denied, because of the no another bonus within 24 months? If so, no biggie. All the CSP earnings can be had from other cards. Just off the top of my head, Ink Plus earns 2x for hotels booked directly with hotel chain and at gas station. Ink Cash earns 2x for dining (and may be gas station too). IIRC UA biz also earns 2x on dining and no forex fee. AMEX Biz 2x earns, well 2x on anything... There is no loss for not having CSP when you also have an Ink Plus for the transfer ability if needed. Therefore the sign up bonus is the overriding factor and Chase knows it.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:55 am

...because of the no another bonus within 24 months?...
This is where you're throwing yourself off track. You won't be approved for another Sapphire card--not just the bonus--if you've received any Sapphire signup bonus in the last 24 months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.