Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have churned the Arrival several times for myself, my dad and my wife, I have always waited 9 months or so between closing and reopening and have had no issues getting approved, bonus, etc.
How long do you normally keep it open for?

I sort of did the opposite, have kept it open for too long then tried to churn it in a couple of months after closing. I've kept it open to MS the 2% and also to show some usage, but prob just a couple-few months usage is OK, assuming you and others have been able to churn it as such.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
How long do you normally keep it open for?

I sort of did the opposite, have kept it open for too long then tried to churn it in a couple of months after closing. I've kept it open to MS the 2% and also to show some usage, but prob just a couple-few months usage is OK, assuming you and others have been able to churn it as such.
I would have to look on my spreadsheet but I never close cards before 6 months and have never paid the AF on an Arrival so I would say 8 months is about right.

I make the spend and then my usage is for travel which I redeem with points
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:53 am

I typically close my card right after I cash out my points. So they are open for less than 2 months. Then I wait 4ish months, and apply again. I am on my 4th card now.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by daw4888
I typically close my card right after I cash out my points. So they are open for less than 2 months. Then I wait 4ish months, and apply again. I am on my 4th card now.

wow 4th arrival +? amazing!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Can you have both Arrival cards as I plan on churning the arrival plus card again in early 2018.

I'm not saying it's not true but wouldn't it be odd that the lesser card has a better redemption ?

I do know that if you don't have enough points to cover your entire transaction you can only redeem in $25 increments.

For example if you bill was $145 and you only have 14000 miles you can only redeem miles for $125 of the bill and have to pay the rest in cash.
Downgrade to the Barclaycard Rewards, not the Arrival.

* Points can be redeemed in 1K increments, for cash (not just travel).
* Does not count as part of the Arrival product family, so you can get another A+ easily.

Naturally this only works once. Your second A+ should probably be closed rather than downgraded.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Berg

* Does not count as part of the Arrival product family, so you can get another A+ easily.

Naturally this only works once. Your second A+ should probably be closed rather than downgraded.
Great idea, thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:36 pm

Thanks but if I were to go that route I would rather get the $215 for spending $1000 signup bonus than save ~$26 in Arrival miles by converting to the card.

BTW, from the landing page of the card it says redemptions start at $50

Get a $200 cash rewards bonus after you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening
Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on every purchase
Every time you redeem, get a 5% cash rewards redemption bonus to use toward your next redemption

Redeem your cash rewards for a deposit into a U.S. checking or savings account, a statement credit or gift cards. Redemptions start at $50
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:39 am

Why would this only work once? Cancel the BR card after cashing out then on the 2nd one, downgrade and do the same? ...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:25 am

Can you have both Arrival cards as I plan on churning the arrival plus card again in early 2018.

I'm not saying it's not true but wouldn't it be odd that the lesser card has a better redemption ?

I do know that if you don't have enough points to cover your entire transaction you can only redeem in $25 increments.

For example if you bill was $145 and you only have 14000 miles you can only redeem miles for $125 of the bill and have to pay the rest in cash.
AFAIK earning rates on the non-plus version are only 1x. Since I don't have this card I can't give you a definite answer, so hopefully someone else here with the non-plus version will chime in.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:25 am

I got the Barclays AA Aviator for the 40K AA points after first purchase in January 2017 and have not used the card since then. I have opened 4 new credit cards in 2017, but only have 2 hard pulls on TransUnion.

Should I wait a longer before I go for the Arrival+ as I have heard Barclays is picky on new accounts? Also I've heard they like to see recent spend on other Barclays cards so should I put some spend on my Aviator card for a month or two before I apply for the Arrival+? Or does my situation sound safe to try without the spend on the Aviator?

Any opinions?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I got the Barclays AA Aviator for the 40K AA points after first purchase in January 2017 and have not used the card since then. I have opened 4 new credit cards in 2017, but only have 2 hard pulls on TransUnion.

Should I wait a longer before I go for the Arrival+ as I have heard Barclays is picky on new accounts? Also I've heard they like to see recent spend on other Barclays cards so should I put some spend on my Aviator card for a month or two before I apply for the Arrival+? Or does my situation sound safe to try without the spend on the Aviator?

Any opinions?
New accounts don't matter by bureau, they get reported in all three of them and all banks see them regardless of which one they pull for a new app.

I would apply before your other apps, whether that is now or later, if later then I'd wait a bit. I've used their Arrival+ quite a bit on and off for the 2%, not much the AA, but doesn't hurt to put some spend on it, especially if you think that your new accounts and/or credit score/profile might need a boosting of chances for the Arrival+ app.

My understanding though was that Barclays won't hard pull for existing clients if they deem you don't qualify for a new card, but this does merit some data points as clarification, not sure whether that is such a blanket situation or only applies with other caveats.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
New accounts don't matter by bureau, they get reported in all three of them and all banks see them regardless of which one they pull for a new app.

I would apply before your other apps, whether that is now or later, if later then I'd wait a bit. I've used their Arrival+ quite a bit on and off for the 2%, not much the AA, but doesn't hurt to put some spend on it, especially if you think that your new accounts and/or credit score/profile might need a boosting of chances for the Arrival+ app.

My understanding though was that Barclays won't hard pull for existing clients if they deem you don't qualify for a new card, but this does merit some data points as clarification, not sure whether that is such a blanket situation or only applies with other caveats.
Thanks for the post.

I may then apply for the Arrival+ before I go soon for the BoA Alaska card and the Chase IHG card. Considering if I get rejected, there is the chance they won't hard pull. Obviously I hope I get approved and doesn't matter, but nice to hear it's possible there wouldn't be a hard pull.

In a perfect world I could wait on opening any new accounts, but I am itching to get the BoA Alaska and Chase IHG card to take advantage of some upcoming larger spending opportunities to make the minimum spend real easy, so thinking I may as well apply for the Barclays Arrival+ before those cards show up on my credit report as new accounts.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Thanks for the post.

I may then apply for the Arrival+ before I go soon for the BoA Alaska card and the Chase IHG card. Considering if I get rejected, there is the chance they won't hard pull. Obviously I hope I get approved and doesn't matter, but nice to hear it's possible there wouldn't be a hard pull.

In a perfect world I could wait on opening any new accounts, but I am itching to get the BoA Alaska and Chase IHG card to take advantage of some upcoming larger spending opportunities to make the minimum spend real easy, so thinking I may as well apply for the Barclays Arrival+ before those cards show up on my credit report as new accounts.
Hate to be negative, since I know you are in a hurry, but it's my understanding that Barclays is reluctant to approve more than one Barclays account in a 6 month period. So depending on when you applied in Jan, you might want to wait a few more weeks so as to be over the 6 month threshold. But absolutely apply for the Barclays card first, then the B of A, and lastly the Chase. If you get lucky, Barclays will pull TU, and that HP won't show up for B/A when (as for me at least) they check with Exp. Since it can take some time for a new card to show up on a CR (the HP is immediate) if you apply for the B/A right after you get approved for the Barclays the B/A will be much easier. Then wait a few weeks at least before you apply for the Chase since they will most likely (yes, I'm guessing here} see the B/A HP even if the new card doesn't yet show up on the CR. Done in this sequence you have a very good chance of getting all 3 approved. Of course, YMMV, but this is the route of highest probability.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Hate to be negative, since I know you are in a hurry, but it's my understanding that Barclays is reluctant to approve more than one Barclays account in a 6 month period. So depending on when you applied in Jan, you might want to wait a few more weeks so as to be over the 6 month threshold. But absolutely apply for the Barclays card first, then the B of A, and lastly the Chase. If you get lucky, Barclays will pull TU, and that HP won't show up for B/A when (as for me at least) they check with Exp. Since it can take some time for a new card to show up on a CR (the HP is immediate) if you apply for the B/A right after you get approved for the Barclays the B/A will be much easier. Then wait a few weeks at least before you apply for the Chase since they will most likely (yes, I'm guessing here} see the B/A HP even if the new card doesn't yet show up on the CR. Done in this sequence you have a very good chance of getting all 3 approved. Of course, YMMV, but this is the route of highest probability.
No no, thank you, this is what I was looking for. I was kind of leaning towards this route anyways after thinking more today. I mean, I missed the Chase Hyatt 2 nights for minimum spend offer bonus so I may as well wait a little longer and ensure a greater chance of success for all of the accounts like you mentioned. I do not think the IHG, Alaska and Barclays Arrival+ bonuses are going to suddenly disappear in the next 4-6 weeks.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
I posted #3772 in May that after exactly 4 mos after canceling my 3rd Arrival Plus I was instantly approved.
Then less than a mos later I applied for the Wyndham and got a pending then denied then waited for letter then called again after canceling my Choice Hotels and was approved by moving CL from my JetBlue.
I have 4 cards with them.
BofA was just as easy I got instantly approved for NCL cruise card and Chase Hyatt my 4th card with Chase was also instantly approved since it was not under the 5/24 rule.

Last edited by duranza; Jun 30, 2017 at 8:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.