Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:06 am

If in fact my benefits will continue until August 2016, and since my subscription date for TripIt Pro is February, I'll be curious to see if it in fact gets renewed, especially since all mention of it is now gone on the Barclaycard site. I love the excuse they give for getting rid of it: 'it wasn't getting used much'.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Yes.

The A- currently does not have EMV but allegedly will be getting it as what seems like the only remotely positive part of these changes.
I'm pretty sure they'll have it very soon:

Effective 1 October
2015, Visa’s global
counterfeit liability
shift will be instituted
in the U.S for POS
transactions. With this
liability shift, the party
that is the cause of a
chip transaction not
occurring (i.e., either
the issuer or the
merchant’s acquirer
processor) will be
held financially liable
for any resulting card
present counterfeit
fraud losses. The shift
helps to better
protect all parties by
encouraging chip
transactions that use
unique, dynamic
authentication data.
Because if they don't, they're potentially on the hook for a lot of fraud.

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...ness-guide.pdf
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My annual fee should post in mid-July. I've got a FIA Fidelity 2% AmEx, so I am seriously considering canceling the Arrival +. If necessary (because AmEx isn't accepted everywhere), it should be pretty easy to pick up a Citi DoubleCash card. For expenses abroad, I'll just bring a Chase card with no forex fees (Ink Plus, Sapphire Preferred).

I agree with the math mentioned above - it would now take over 89K in annual spend on the Arrival + to make it worthwhile to keep the card compared to a no-fee 2% cashback card. We spend heavily on the Arrival +, but I doubt that it's over 89K.

I am curious: if anyone has called to cancel the card, are they offering anything to try to retain you as a customer? Barclays should have anticipated a wave of cancellations and hopefully made some plans to retain customers.

I'll probably call next week to see if there is anything I can do to make keeping the card worthwhile. If not, sayonara. Annual fees are a major expense that I need to keep under control.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Last when I called (prob 6 months ago) they wouldn't waive the annual fee. But this is before all of the changes noted here.

This time however, there is no point in me sticking with this card .. it goes "bye-bye" due to these changes the next time the AF hits. Either they make an offer to waive the AF, give serious points to offset the loss of TripIt Pro (which I do use), the 10% going down to 5%, or .. I'm gone and won't look back.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
Because if they don't, they're potentially on the hook for a lot of fraud.
All adding EMV does is shift liability away from them and towards businesses that haven't upgraded yet. Barclay could keep magstripe forever and they would still be liable (but it is in their interest to take advantage of the cost savings).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
All adding EMV does is shift liability away from them and towards businesses that haven't upgraded yet. Barclay could keep magstripe forever and they would still be liable (but it is in their interest to take advantage of the cost savings).
Shifting liability away from them is pretty major. Not trivial.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:59 pm

...but let's not forget that all through 2013, they were promising the arrival non plus card would be emv compliant by 4th quarter 2913. Whatever happened to that deadline?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
...but let's not forget that all through 2013, they were promising the arrival non plus card would be emv compliant by 4th quarter 2913. Whatever happened to that deadline?
Considering that that deadline is s almost 900 years from now, I'd say they have some time before they have to worry.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

For those of us who had this card before Sep 2014, better to redeem miles now and stop putting any spending if you are canceling anyway? I have 43,471 miles. When I book travel, Should I book for $434? Or I should do more than that since I am getting 10% miles back?

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Jul 4, 2015 at 4:42 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Considering that that deadline is s almost 900 years from now, I'd say they have some time before they have to worry.
typo, typo, typo. Good catch.

jj
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I haven't been paying any attention to this thread for a while. WTH!! Looks like I'll be maxxing this card out thru October and then tossing it in the shredder. I already have a double cash and plenty of other cards with no FTF. The only thing I'll miss is trip it pro.... but not enuf to pay for it on its own.

RIP Arrival+
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Happy
So you do not think this is "official" enough when Barclays' own Exec confirmed the changes to the bloggers?

You really need the black and white in print before you would concede it is for real? So if what comes from Barclays is exactly what is revealed, how do you react? Calmly accept it?
If it keeps the same benefits until August 2016, then I don't really care?

I'm not sure what my account creation date was, I applied Sep 29 but only received the approval email in October...

It's still worth using at 2.1% for me since the difference between the FX rate on the A+ vs the CSP is around 1%.

This card filled a niche for those of us with a lot of non-US spend in non bonus categories.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping TripIt will offer us discounts to renew.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
"...nearly the same thing for free".

3% foreign exchange fee with Citi Doublecash is huge for those with meaningful travel/time outside the US.

Cardholders would do well to skip the knee-jerk 'I'm out of here' reactions and really study what card is best for them after changes.
There are better alternatives than A+, also with 0% forex fee only if you look around and do some serious math instead of just pigeon holed yourself with a fixed mindset.

Originally Posted by PackingIt
If in fact my benefits will continue until August 2016, and since my subscription date for TripIt Pro is February, I'll be curious to see if it in fact gets renewed, especially since all mention of it is now gone on the Barclaycard site. I love the excuse they give for getting rid of it: 'it wasn't getting used much'.
You actually have a Citi card that earns 50% more than A+, 0 forex fee with similar AF which Citi is often very good to waive or offer incentives to offset the bulk of it while Barclays seems hardly gives you a break on the AF.

For those of you who have large overseas spend, you may want to give a good look of the new earning schedule of the Citi Pemier card.

Citi Premier earns 3 pts on Travel - A very broadly defined category including Gas and Taxi among other usual suspects. At a minimum, 1 TYP = 1 penny, and right there is better than your A+ because 3 cents on Travel sure is better than 2.1 cents on Travel (with a far less generous definition).

Restaurant spend earns 2x, so as Tourist Attractions which include theme parks that A+ gets rid of as being eligible travel expenses to redeem. Restaurant spend obvious do not get you the 2.1% on A+ redemption.

On top of that, TYPs worth more than 0.01 per point when used to purchase US/AA flights - it becomes 0.0125 per pt. That means $1 spent on Travel earns you 3pts x 0.0125 = 0.0376 versus the 0.021 on A+.

Further more, TYP can be transferred to SQ at 1 to 1, and to HHonors at 1 to 1.5, with occasional bonus to make it 1 to 2. (I know many think HHonors pts worthless but again, you should take some hard look on your travel needs - we have found HHonors pts save us over over a thousand dollars in the 2 trips this year.)

I know some of you are only aimed at cash - but even just use the TYPs as "cash" - you get a better value than A+ due to the earning on a broadly Travel category is superior.

Personally I never like the convoluted scheme of A+ redemption that you dont get a straight cash back but must used on Travel expenses which have a 120 days expiration, and now has a much higher threshold - which essentially makes people to use creative ways just so they can redeem if a lot of their travel expenses are below $100.

No such issue with the CapOne QS which despite its 1.5% only, it is a no fee card with 0% forex fee and CapOne does not pass along the Visa network fee like Chase CSP.

For those who think their overseas spending are high enough to justify A+, you should do some HARD CALCULATION to determine if it really worth it.

Case in point -

The difference on the QS 1.5% and the A+ 2.1% is only 0.6%, which on $10,000 spending is a paltry $60. It would take $15,000 spending overseas to just BREAKEVEN with the $89 fee charged by A+. On top of that, you do NOT need to wait for any threshold nor any category expenses to be able to redeem your earning on QS. You redeem as you go, straightly as statement credit, for as little as a few bucks if you so wish.

So, you only earn incremental value AFTER the first $15,000 overseas spend, and only at a paltry 0.6% additional.

Now please tell me, other than the PIN Capability, what else advantage A+ has?

I would say CapOne's QS is definitely worthwhile to have. However, their credit cards DONT have the recon process like other banks that you know of. And they do pull all 3 credit bureau for their card applications. I am just glad we do not cancel the Venture cards after getting the $1100 sign up bonus 3 or 4 years ago but downgraded to the no-fee product of the Mastercard Reward to avoid the AF. Eventually it was converted to QS Visa.

As for those who worry about CapOne custumer services, I can only say from our own experiences that they are all US-based reps with better services than Barclays, Chase and Citi - especially their Social Media Team is truly empowered to resolve issues, not just pass along information to the "dept that deals with this." Both their banking side and their card side customer services are good.

Right now the Citi Premier card is clearly better but of course you may not like TYP despite it is far more versatile than the A+ cash, on top of a far higher return at 3% versus 2.1%.

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
How often we use cards overseas? Rarely! During those few days or weeks in foreign country, Why not use those cards that has no annual fee and no forex fee? Also get the free BB by Amex and make no forex free cash withdrawal. Countries outside the US prefer cash specially in Asia! There are so many options! Will never think the A+ for its no forex fee with $89 fee!
A+ barely makes sense in its prior state. The primary usage for us is the PIN capability but then I found we only used such function EXACTLY ONCE - on each of our previous 3 trips to Europe. And for each of such usages, we could easily use cash and hardly lose any earning as each time the amount was below 20 euros.

It is also very true that many parts of the world prefer cash - not just in Asia but we found even in some cities in Germany, even at the chain restaurants - they are cash only. All supermarkets in Amsterdam only take cash or the debit cards from their own country. Buying public transportation tickets with CC, chip or otherwise, involves a surcharge!

Unless you live overseas for many months a year, you really dont need to worry about the forex too much as many cards are 0% forex fee.

Even if you live overseas for many months a year, there is better card than A+ after factoring everything.

So yes, I totally agree with you, for many folks the A+ barely is useful in the past and far less useful now with the new structures and the annual fee.

Originally Posted by Superorb
Where are you seeing reports of people having their accounts shutdown?
Originally Posted by compddd
Got any links to people being shut down by Barclay for having too many points?
There is a 2015 Shut Down thread in the MS forum - there are reports of A+ shut downs reported on that thread together with other shut downs. There are other reported cases on other websites.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...wn-thread.html

My thought is, the raise of the $100 redemption threshold is the worst thing of this "enhancement". Of course there are already posted ways to counter-react to this. It has been working in the past, not sure if it would work in the future when the new threshold puts in effect.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 5, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
There are better alternatives than A+, also with 0% forex fee only if you look around and do some serious math instead of just pigeon holed yourself with a fixed mindset.

You actually have a Citi card that earns 50% more than A+, 0 forex fee with similar AF which Citi is often very good to waive or offer incentives to offset the bulk of it while Barclays seems hardly gives you a break on the AF.

For those of you who have large overseas spend, you may want to give a good look of the new earning schedule of the Citi Pemier card.

Citi Premier earns 3 pts on Travel - A very broadly defined category including Gas and Taxi among other usual suspects. At a minimum, 1 TYP = 1 penny, and right there is better than your A+ because 3 cents on Travel sure is better than 2.1 cents on Travel (with a far less generous definition).

Restaurant spend earns 2x, so as Tourist Attractions which include theme parks that A+ gets rid of as being eligible travel expenses to redeem. Restaurant spend obvious do not get you the 2.1% on A+ redemption.

On top of that, TYPs worth more than 0.01 per point when used to purchase US/AA flights - it becomes 0.0125 per pt. That means $1 spent on Travel earns you 3pts x 0.0125 = 0.0376 versus the 0.021 on A+.

Further more, TYP can be transferred to SQ at 1 to 1, and to HHonors at 1 to 1.5, with occasional bonus to make it 1 to 2. (I know many think HHonors pts worthless but again, you should take some hard look on your travel needs - we have found HHonors pts save us over over a thousand dollars in the 2 trips this year.)

I know some of you are only aimed at cash - but even just use the TYPs as "cash" - you get a better value than A+ due to the earning on a broadly Travel category is superior.

Personally I never like the convoluted scheme of A+ redemption that you dont get a straight cash back but must used on Travel expenses which have a 120 days expiration, and now has a much higher threshold - which essentially makes people to use creative ways just so they can redeem if a lot of their travel expenses are below $100.

No such issue with the CapOne QS which despite its 1.5% only, it is a no fee card with 0% forex fee and CapOne does not pass along the Visa network fee like Chase CSP.

For those who think their overseas spending are high enough to justify A+, you should do some HARD CALCULATION to determine if it really worth it.

Case in point -

The difference on the QS 1.5% and the A+ 2.1% is only 0.6%, which on $10,000 spending is a paltry $60. It would take $15,000 spending overseas to just BREAKEVEN with the $89 fee charged by A+. On top of that, you do NOT need to wait for any threshold nor any category expenses to be able to redeem your earning on QS. You redeem as you go, straightly as statement credit, for as little as a few bucks if you so wish.

So, you only earn incremental value AFTER the first $15,000 overseas spend, and only at a paltry 0.6% additional.

Now please tell me, other than the PIN Capability, what else advantage A+ has?

I would say CapOne's QS is definitely worthwhile to have. However, their credit cards DONT have the recon process like other banks that you know of. And they do pull all 3 credit bureau for their card applications. I am just glad we do not cancel the Venture cards after getting the $1100 sign up bonus 3 or 4 years ago but downgraded to the no-fee product of the Mastercard Reward to avoid the AF. Eventually it was converted to QS Visa.

As for those who worry about CapOne custumer services, I can only say from our own experiences that they are all US-based reps with better services than Barclays, Chase and Citi - especially their Social Media Team is truly empowered to resolve issues, not just pass along information to the "dept that deals with this." Both their banking side and their card side customer services are good.

Right now the Citi Premier card is clearly better but of course you may not like TYP despite it is far more versatile than the A+ cash, on top of a far higher return at 3% versus 2.1%.

A+ barely makes sense in its prior state. The primary usage for us is the PIN capability but then I found we only used such function EXACTLY ONCE - on each of our previous 3 trips to Europe. And for each of such usages, we could easily use cash and hardly lose any earning as each time the amount was below 20 euros.

It is also very true that many parts of the world prefer cash - not just in Asia but we found even in some cities in Germany, even at the chain restaurants - they are cash only. All supermarkets in Amsterdam only take cash or the debit cards from their own country. Buying public transportation tickets with CC, chip or otherwise, involves a surcharge!

Unless you live overseas for many months a year, you really dont need to worry about the forex too much as many cards are 0% forex fee.

Even if you live overseas for many months a year, there is better card than A+ after factoring everything.

So yes, I totally agree with you, for many folks the A+ barely is useful in the past and far less useful now with the new structures and the annual fee.

There is a 2015 Shut Down thread in the MS forum - there are reports of A+ shut downs reported on that thread together with other shut downs. There are other reported cases on other websites.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...wn-thread.html

My thought is, the raise of the $100 redemption threshold is the worst thing of this "enhancement". Of course there are already posted ways to counter-react to this. It has been working in the past, not sure if it would work in the future when the new threshold puts in effect.
Some Flyer Talk "Evangelists" flit about, dropping meaningless bon mots in 20, 30, 40 posts a day, apparently to simultaneously boost their post total and their egos.

Lucky for us we have Happy (and others such as Mia and guv1976, to name just two) who make a real contribution to the communal knowledge. The quoted post above is a great example.

There are several cash back alternatives, and with the A+ changes, it it time to compare the Citi Premier and others. For some, the pin is important, though not worth $89 a year, if that's what it comes down to.

As I wrote, it is important to really consider what use the card will be put to. Some travelers spend a lot of time overseas, some just buy gift cards down the street. It all depends, and you can't really measure until you run the numbers based on your expected use.

I for one am not surprised that Barclays changed the game a bit here. At 2% cash back, there could not have been much, if anything, left for their bottom line.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jul 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.