Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by tadc
You find an answer on this?

In the past it was 100 on any travel related expenses you just had to call, but now nobody seems to know anything about that.
So if I buy a flight or GC directly from the airline it will go thru automatically?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I got a solicitation for the "new" Wells Fargo Propel card in the mail. The signup offer is 30k points for $3k spend in 3 months. While the $300 cash redemption value of 30k points is interesting, what's really making me take a long look at this card are the 3x bonus categories. Travel (air, hotel, rental car, etc.), Gas, and Dining are the majority of my organic spend. It looks like this is essentially a 3% cashback card, at least on these categories, with no AF. Am I missing anything? What experience do others have with this card?
Did you get the card?

When I logged in our Wells Fargo bank accounts tonight, this offer came up before I can see the main account page.
It does look like a 3% cash rebate card with no AF and 0 forex fee to me because it has covered most of the day to day regular spend in our household. The only draw back is this is an AMEX card which I have found many places we go whether in both our international and domestic travels, AMEX card is not accepted.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:24 am

Anyone get the Propel World lately? Are they still offering it with the 40k bonus? Also has anyone tried utilizing the cell phone insurance lately? I've been paying my cell phone bill with my WF card for 3 years in anticipation of needing the insurance and, lo and behold, my phone needs a motherboard replacement that WF won't cover because it's a "mechanical or electrical" issue. What a scam.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:55 pm

I have been getting 2 phones replaced per year. Here is how to do it.
  1. Smash your phone to the point where it is irreparable. Maybe you did it on purpose maybe it dropped. I'm not the police.
  2. File a claim and buy a new phone.
  3. Take phone smashed phone to repair shop for a repair estimate.
  4. Send estimate to asurion.
  5. Get check for full amount.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jmfflyer
I have been getting 2 phones replaced per year. Here is how to do it.
  1. Smash your phone to the point where it is irreparable. Maybe you did it on purpose maybe it dropped. I'm not the police.
  2. File a claim and buy a new phone.
  3. Take phone smashed phone to repair shop for a repair estimate.
  4. Send estimate to asurion.
  5. Get check for full amount.
You're in the running for Dbag of the year award
soartoday and akr1970akr like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
Anyone get the Propel World lately?
Any updates on Propel World in general? New rewards structure perhaps?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Propel World Product Change

Held the WF Propel World Amex for a few years after the initial sign up bonus. The $100 airline credit was nice - got AA gift cards every year. But otherwise, the card was overpriced for its annual fee vs what other similar cards offer at a lot less $ per year.

AF posted 2/1/19, which indicated my card membership year had reset so I immediately purchased 1 AA GC @ $100. Took a few days to clear and post, but the airline credit posted with the transaction. This left only the $175 AF on my card. Called in this morning for a PC to another option - one that was either a lower AF or no AF.

Was given the "new" propel (the red colored card they have been promoting as of late), same or better reward categories for me, no $100 airline credit, but no AF either. PC process was a bit drawn out. They don't do same account number PC's - they close your existing account and get you a new one through an "application process" - though there was no credit pull per the rep and per my CreditKarma. The credit limit was almost identical - old limit less the $ amount of the AF that remained on the original card. And the AF was waived, old card will be closed out.

So not the most ideal PC process, but I got the airline credit for the year without having the pay the AF. So that is a WIN in my book!
ShakuniMama and akr1970akr like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:44 pm

Apparently, the Propel World annual fee may be refunded within 90 days of assessessment. If this is the case and I applied for the Propel World only a year ago, can I then apply for the new Propel for the signup bonus once 15 months hits, then product change the Propel World to the Visa Signature? Has anyone had success with either of these?

Edit: maybe a bit tighter than I thought. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wells-fargo-one-bonus-per-16-month-rule/

I'm seeing this on the Propel application terms and conditions: You may not be eligible for introductory annual percentage rates, fees, and/or bonus rewards offers if you opened a Wells Fargo Credit Card within the last 15 months from the date of this application and you received introductory APR(s), fees, and/or bonus rewards offers – even if that account is closed and has a $0 balance.

Last edited by christof; Mar 3, 2019 at 12:15 am
Old May 4, 2019, 4:09 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
anyone tried to close this or any WF cc with a negative points balance?
I am neg a few thousand points and I don't want to pay the af.
any ideas? can i still close the acct?
thanks
Old May 15, 2019, 1:38 pm

Has anyone had any luck receiving the airline fee credit recently?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by rjs11
Has anyone had any luck receiving the airline fee credit recently?
Recently reimbursed WN gc $100
Old May 18, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
Interesting. Can you copy and paste the description of the transaction? My AA egift card purchase worked in my first cardmember year, but has not in the second year. Here's how it looks:Billing location: 800-433-7300, TXPhone: AA.COMPurchase Mode: Manually Entered
Old May 18, 2019, 12:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NeGourmand
....My AA egift card purchase worked in my first cardmember year, but has not in the second year.....
American Airlines changed the way that gift card purchases are coded on Amex network in 2019. The issuer can now see that it is a gift card purchase rather than a fee.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia
American Airlines changed the way that gift card purchases are coded on Amex network in 2019. The issuer can now see that it is a gift card purchase rather than a fee.
Do you know the specific date when this occurred? Datapoints per DoC were still showing successful redemptions in late February/early May.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:43 pm

Do you know the specific date when this occurred? Datapoints per DoC were still showing successful redemptions in late February/early May.
I called WF and was able to get the credit manually added. Per the T&Cs, “Qualifying Charge/s” for purposes of the Airline Benefit, are defined as domestic or international airline transactions (excluding purchases of airline tickets) made with a Card for which the airline has submitted the transaction under the merchant code for American Express in the category of airlines and air carriers."

As long as it's not an airline ticket, the charge gets reimbursed.
mia likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.