Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best Card To Use Internationally? (concerned about fraud)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium

I've read some horror stories about foreign travelers getting scammed by merchant, and then Chase backing the merchant. Amex is supposed to be the best at backing the cardmember, but all of my three Amex cards charge a foreign transaction fee.

Of my card selection, which tends to be the best when it comes to dealing with scam charges and doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee? Or, do I just bite the bullet and pay the 2.7% with Amex?

My no-FTF banks are:
Capital One
Chase
Discover

(I would just use cash, but I'd have to open a new bank account now that BofA no longer lets you withdraw cash for free from Global ATM Alliance partner ATMs.)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:41 pm

I've been is Europe for the last week using our CSP exclusively with no issues. It's chipped, so everyone here takes it and it's been very easy. I have an Amex plat too but it hasn't come out of the wallet since it's not chipped.

I've checked my account a couple times and everything has been fine. Transactions posting as they should and no problems to report. Definitely don't pay the 2.7%.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP

+1 For chipped CSP.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
+1 for chipped card.

As an aside, I have had two fraud issues on my cards and both have been caused domestically (one was Target and the other I assume was because I swipped my CC in a taxi in NYC). I travel to Europe frequently and have not had any issues even without chipped cards.

As an aside...when did BoA stop offering free foreign ATM withdrawls with their partners? Was just in Germany in Feb. and I don't remember paying a fee for a Deutsche Bank ATM withdrawal.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I'm more talking about scammy merchants. Like this:
I was scammed about 15 years ago by a restaurant in Canada. They billed me twice for the same meal. They billed me correctly, but ran the charge again the next day. It showed up as a slightly different Dollar amount because of the exchange rate. The rep at BOA told me I must have eaten there twice since the bill was two different amounts. I had to send them a copy of my airline boarding pass to show them I wasn't even in Canada on the date of the second charge. Again, that was about 15 years ago. I have since filled up 2 more passports and have NEVER EVER charged another meal to a credit card. Not even in the USA,,,, just use cash at restaurants/bars and for taxis and have no worries (about what the bill might be) or regrets. I do wear a money belt in most foreign countries.
The change to the BofA policy was relatively recent. Now, using an Alliance ATM (Deutsche, Scotia, etc) waives the $5 fee, but you still pay 3%:

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card at one of our International partner ATMs and avoid the Non-Bank of America ATM $5 usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry as well as the ATM operator access fee. Bank of America will assess an international transaction fee of 3% of the converted US dollar amount.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:12 pm

You're not going to be able to use your Discover in Europe (in Asia, yes, Europe, no). So forget about it. Assuming you have the CSP, that's going to be your best option.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:50 pm

[QUOTE=CalAlumnus13;22643814]I'm more talking about scammy merchants. Like this:

Sorry - don't get what the big deal is about the 15-year-old BoA story. There was fraud on the account, they proved it wasn't theirs so end of story, right? I've had fraud on accounts and sometimes they just take it off immediately and sometimes I have to sign something or provide some proof but I've always "won".

I use my Chase CSP and Citi TY as a backup. Both have chips and no foreign transaction fee.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Do chip cards require PIN for overseas use? If so, how do you set the PIN? Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Do chip cards require PIN for overseas use? If so, how do you set the PIN? Thanks.
Depends on the card. Most operate the same in Europe as they do in the USA. There's an EMV thread in this forum that had the breakdown.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
You're not going to be able to use your Discover in Europe (in Asia, yes, Europe, no). So forget about it. Assuming you have the CSP, that's going to be your best option.
There are some places that accept Discover/Diner's Club abroad. I still wouldn't count in it.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
First of all, the OP, and some posters are generalizing about Europe. Credit card theft happens everwhere. There isn't a "credit card theft hotbed" somewhere in Europe or elsewhere for tourist...

My suggestion applies to both domestic (USA) and elsewhere (Canada/Europe):

Feel safe using your credit card at chain hotels, supermarkets, self-serve gas stations, and department stores. Also feel safe using your credit card where the "swipe" is done in front of you, and the card never leaves your sight.

Feel unsafe using your credit card at smaller businesses where the equipment might be tampered with, or where they take your credit card away for swiping (most restaurants in USA).

Carry enough cash to cover meal/transportation/getting you back to your hotel. and if it doesn't feel right, don't use your credit card... If you carry enough cash, you will have to worry about getting pickpocketed and mugged as well. You mind as well not leave your bed. :-)

Ultimately, confirm what you are signing, and keep a copy of the receipt. Check your credit card statement regularly. Don't worry too much about events such as the Target account hack. Your USA based credit card company mostly have you protected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.