Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines automatically switching all BOA Visas to Barclays MCs starting 4/28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian Airlines automatically switching all BOA Visas to Barclays MCs starting 4/28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just got a letter in the mail today and it states that HA is automatically switching everyone over to the Barclays Mastercard version of the card. I called up HA and the rep told me that the BOA cards will revert to some sort of visa card but he wasn't sure. When I called BOA, I was informed that on 4/28/14 all accounts would be switched over to Barclays. Apparently, Barclays bought the accounts back from BOA. The HA account numbers will stay the same, but the BOA accounts would essentially close and new account numbers would be issued from Barclays.

Obviously, if you're interested in churning the Barclays MC, you better close out your BOA Visa now before you get switched over and become a Barclays card holder. A call to the Barclays customer service number confirmed that transferred accounts would become ineligible for new account bonuses.

As for BOA, I was able to get them to prorate my annual fee for the amount of time that I was losing out on. Took some doing and a transfer to retentions though.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
When I called BOA, I was informed that...all accounts would be switched over to Barclays.
The same is true for Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines Visa credit cards - they, too, will be converted into Barclays Mastercards.

A side note:
From the Hawaiian Airlines webpage: "Transfer HawaiianMiles between Accounts - To share miles the recipient of the miles must have an active Hawaiian Airlines Visa credit card".

I called them and noted that they will soon need to change this wording to say Mastercard credit card. The agent said that she assumed that they would.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I'm going to be canceling as soon as my fee hits. I hate Barclays.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:29 pm

What happens if you have both (BOA and BOH)?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
What happens if you have both (BOA and BOH)?
Based on what each bank is saying, you would continue to have two cards - but each card would now be a Barclays card.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muji
Based on what each bank is saying, you would continue to have two cards - but each card would now be a Barclays card.
This was the impression I got from them.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
Just got a letter in the mail today and it states that HA is automatically switching everyone over to the Barclays Mastercard version of the card. I called up HA and the rep told me that the BOA cards will revert to some sort of visa card but he wasn't sure. When I called BOA, I was informed that on 4/28/14 all accounts would be switched over to Barclays. Apparently, Barclays bought the accounts back from BOA. The HA account numbers will stay the same, but the BOA accounts would essentially close and new account numbers would be issued from Barclays.

Obviously, if you're interested in churning the Barclays MC, you better close out your BOA Visa now before you get switched over and become a Barclays card holder. A call to the Barclays customer service number confirmed that transferred accounts would become ineligible for new account bonuses.

As for BOA, I was able to get them to prorate my annual fee for the amount of time that I was losing out on. Took some doing and a transfer to retentions though.
What is the number for retentions? I'm in the same boat and just got charge $79 at the end of February.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by texasguy77
What is the number for retentions? I'm in the same boat and just got charge $79 at the end of February.
I was just on the phone with regular customer service and asked to be transferred over.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Gold
Hurt credit?? New Annual Fee??

I got the same letter, and an e-mail from Hawaiian. I have two questions.

1. Will this hurt my credit score in any way? Or will it just be a transfer of banks? (That's what happened years ago when they switched from Wells Fargo to BOA)

2. Will my annual fee stay at $50/year or will it go up to $89/year? (The rep overseas said it will stay at $50/year...but I'm not sure I believe that.)

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by pochoman20
Will my annual fee stay at $50/year or will it go up to $89/year? The rep overseas said it will stay at $50/year.
I could see it going either way - staying at $50 or going up to $89. I would send them a secure message to get a definitive answer in writing.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pochoman20
I got the same letter, and an e-mail from Hawaiian. I have two questions.

1. Will this hurt my credit score in any way? Or will it just be a transfer of banks? (That's what happened years ago when they switched from Wells Fargo to BOA)

2. Will my annual fee stay at $50/year or will it go up to $89/year? (The rep overseas said it will stay at $50/year...but I'm not sure I believe that.)

Thanks!
1 - no, not at all.

2 - its going up to $89. I believe your annual year renewal period stays the same as well, although there was a bit of debate about this.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So I got a Barclay Card Hawaiian MC in the mail today. Despite closing my BOA account. They're not accepting phone calls on these until 4/28 and calling the number just prompts a pre-recorded message. I wonder if I'll qualify for the new account bonus.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Hmmm, wonder if I got one even though I closed my BoH account, I got a mailer about it the other day.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Got the card, and also closed my account a while back. This should be fun to get scrubbed from my credit report.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:54 pm

Received 2 cards today.

I cancelled both my bofa and both hawaiian air credits cards back on 2/27 yet I still received 2 new barclay hawaiian air credit cards today.

How should I go about canceling and making sure they are not on my credit report?

Or what happens if I just don't activate them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.