FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [Targeted] Fifth Third 55k Real Life Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1556825-targeted-fifth-third-55k-real-life-rewards.html)

tigermark82 Mar 2, 2014 6:25 pm

[Targeted] Fifth Third 55k Real Life Rewards

Received an offer in the mail for 55k Real Life Rewards points with $2,000 spend in the first 90 days. I don't know anything about these points other than 55k points = $500 MasterCard gift card. New bank and $500 sounds good to me so I just applied. Unfortunately, it asks for an ID number that is found on the mailed offer so you have to have received the offer. If you have a branch nearby, it couldn't hurt to ask if they will give you the offer. You have to live in a state serviced by fifth third to get the card.

pricesquire Mar 2, 2014 6:44 pm

I think it's mainly a Southeast US bank. Plenty here in JAX. Some in CHS, too.

TKKY Mar 2, 2014 6:48 pm

It is a Cincinnati bank that has branched out to places like Florida, Illinois, etc. It's a strong Midwestern bank. www.53.com.

mickeydfly13 Mar 3, 2014 12:04 am

Yep, lots here in Chicago.

wcj Mar 3, 2014 4:56 am

With a logo of "the curious bank".

pricesquire Mar 3, 2014 5:43 am

Didn't know about it's Midwestern roots. Literally half a dozen opened here overnight.

Kinda a weird name, no?

aafreq Mar 3, 2014 5:57 am

My experience... More like 5th/Turd.....

pricesquire Mar 3, 2014 6:09 am

Originally Posted by aafreq (Post 22451842)
My experience... More like 5th/Turd.....

Figured

Exterous Mar 3, 2014 7:55 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 22451807)
Kinda a weird name, no?

Well 3rd/5th would be too obvious of a way to merge 3rd National Bank with 5th National Bank :p

hub-captive Mar 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Fifth Third Preferred Card: Why did I apply?

In my latest app-o-rama, I found myself approved for this card:

https://www.53.com/personal-banking/...astercard.html

Has anyone the faintest idea why I applied for it? It doesn't seem to have a signup bonus as far as I can tell, and I have no other banking relationship with Fifth Third.

Please tell me I applied through a blogger's link which promises me 50k points for something. :)

PainCorp Mar 24, 2014 12:38 am

I think you saw preferred and just clicked thinking it was the CSP. Such a waste of a hard pull.

Arbitrage650 Mar 24, 2014 1:07 am

Earn Double Real Life Rewards Points for Every $1 Spent on Dining, Travel, Gas and Grocery Purchases

First Year Annual Fee Waived

No International Transaction Fees on Credit Purchases.

fpc552 Mar 24, 2014 5:55 am

Fifth Third Preferred Card: Why did I apply?

I recall reading on a blog recently that these points can be exchanged for cash or gift cards or similar, so the points were worth $500, but now can't find the link, so I may be wrong.

MDtR-Chicago Mar 24, 2014 7:45 am

Originally Posted by hub-captive (Post 22576408)
Has anyone the faintest idea why I applied for it? It doesn't seem to have a signup bonus as far as I can tell, and I have no other banking relationship with Fifth Third.

Your question has been merged with a recent discussion on this card. Perhaps you applied with the 55k signup link and don't remember it?

bostonbali Mar 24, 2014 8:46 am

I was targeted for this offer, and applied for it. So far, the bank seems to be behind the times.
Need your PIN (which was sent separately) to create a user name for new users. Can't enroll in AutoPay online - need to request a form over the phone, then need to send in a voided check along with the form to activate AutoPay...
So 1990's...

Looking at their website, you can transfer 50,000 points for a $500 gift card.
You can also use the points for flight bookings, seemingly at 100 points = $1 of travel (i.e, no bonus point multiplier for travel like Citi TY or Chase UR offer). Comparing prices, seems like they tack on $15 worth of booking fees.

After I redeem the 50,000 points for the $500 gift card, I'm not not sure what to do with the remaining 7000 points (55,000 bonus + 2,000 spend - 50,000 redemption) - so perhaps I will try to use the points for travel costing more than $570. As an aside, you can pay for travel with Points + Cash, so you can use all of your points and supplement with cash on a ticket that exceeds your point balance.