Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Travel Rewards + Preferred Rewards = Up to 2.775% everywhere card?

Bank of America Travel Rewards + Preferred Rewards = Up to 2.775% everywhere card?

Old May 7, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Chase UR, Skymiles, HHonors, SPG
I am a platinum preferred rewards member with Bank of America because I have a Merrill brokerage account. Love getting 5.25% back on gas and 3.5% back on groceries all the time (after the 75% bonus boost on regular rate).

Am I correct that the travel rewards card that earns 1.5 miles per $1 spend on all spend can be transferred as cash? Is it just the business version of the card that will do this? Thanks!
Old May 7, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by HeyCrutch
I am a platinum preferred rewards member with Bank of America because I have a Merrill brokerage account. Love getting 5.25% back on gas and 3.5% back on groceries all the time (after the 75% bonus boost on regular rate).

Am I correct that the travel rewards card that earns 1.5 miles per $1 spend on all spend can be transferred as cash? Is it just the business version of the card that will do this? Thanks!
You need a business credit card and Travel rewards cards linked to your acct. A business card that can redeem points at 1% into your checking acct or statement credit. You can get 2.625 on the Travel rewards card cause preferred rewards. What I've been doing is transferring all my travel rewards points to business card and then redeeming it. Been working great so far.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:26 pm

There's no BOA card that gives either of these percentages even with top tier PR. Are you using a discontinued card?
Old May 7, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
There's no BOA card that gives either of these percentages even with top tier PR. Are you using a discontinued card?
The BankAmericard Cash Rewards gives 3% on gas and 2% on groceries with a cap of $1500 (I believe this combines the two categories). 3*1.75=5.25; 2*1.75=3.50
Old May 8, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
The BankAmericard Cash Rewards gives 3% on gas and 2% on groceries with a cap of $1500 (I believe this combines the two categories). 3*1.75=5.25; 2*1.75=3.50
^ this is correct
Old May 8, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
You need a business credit card and Travel rewards cards linked to your acct. A business card that can redeem points at 1% into your checking acct or statement credit. You can get 2.625 on the Travel rewards card cause preferred rewards. What I've been doing is transferring all my travel rewards points to business card and then redeeming it. Been working great so far.

Just trying to be clear, so I'm asking again ... I can get the consumer Travel Rewards card, but then need one of the business cards earning 1%, to which I'll transfer rewards credits? Then I can deposit cash into my consumer checking at the Preferred earnings rate from the business credit card??

Thanks!

Last edited by HeyCrutch; May 8, 2016 at 7:02 am
Old May 8, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Ah, that card is the only one left where the bonus applies after the points are earned. I thought they had changed all of them except the TR to be like the AAA card where they only give you the bonus on the first point.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:18 am

Just trying to be clear, so I'm asking again ... I can get the consumer Travel Rewards card, but then need one of the business cards earning 1%, to which I'll transfer rewards credits? Then I can deposit cash into my consumer checking at the Preferred earnings rate from the business credit card??

Thanks!
Yup. Just open the business card as a sole proprietor and you can redeem the cash rewards into your personal acct
Old May 18, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Canadi>n Plus: President's Club (expired)
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Ah, that card is the only one left where the bonus applies after the points are earned. I thought they had changed all of them except the TR to be like the AAA card where they only give you the bonus on the first point.
Hmmm... I'm not sure if this is accurate. I go to this web site:
http://info.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards
and look at Footnote 2, and here is what it says:

Enrolled clients with eligible credit cards can receive the Preferred Rewards Bonus in one of two ways: 1) For BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ credit cards, the Preferred Rewards Bonus will be applied when you redeem cash rewards into a Bank of America® checking or savings account or an eligible Merrill Lynch Cash Management Account®. For example, if you redeem $100 in cash rewards, we will add $25, $50 or $75 to your redemption amount, based on your tier when you redeem. Redemptions for a statement credit or personal check will not receive the Preferred Rewards Bonus. 2) For all other eligible credit cards (such as BankAmericard Travel Rewards® cards), the Preferred Rewards Bonus will be added to the base rewards you earn with each purchase. For example, if you earn 100 base rewards, we will add 25, 50, or 75 bonus rewards, based on your tier when the purchase posts to your account. The Preferred Rewards Bonus will replace the 10% customer bonus you may receive with your card(s). Any other bonus rewards (e.g. account-opening bonuses and merchant-based bonuses) will not receive the Preferred Rewards Bonus. View a complete list of ineligible cards
And, when I click on "View a complete list of ineligible cards", I see the following:

Cards not eligible for the rewards bonus:

Non-rewards credit cards
Business purpose credit cards
Bank of America Accolades®
BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards®
Merrill Lynch branded (including Merrill Accolades®, MERRILL+®, Merrill Lynch® Octave® and Private Banking and Investment Group Octave®)
U.S. Trust branded (including Bank of America Accolades® and U.S. Trust® Octave®)
AAA® Gas Rebate
Alaska Airlines®
Amtrak Guest Rewards®
Amway™
Asiana Airlines®
Azamara Club Cruises®
Bass Pro Shops®
Celebrity Cruises®
MelaleucaSM
Royal Caribbean International®
Spirit Airlines®
Virgin Atlantic Airways®

This list is subject to change without prior notice.
So, it appears to me that the AAA Member Rewards Credit Card issued by BofA is an eligible card.

The AAA card has a different bonus point system than the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Credit Card. I like it that it offers 3X points (consisting of 2 bonus points and 1 base point) on qualifying AAA and travel purchases. As far as I know, only the upcoming Costco Anywhere Visa Card issued by Citi offers 3% cash back on travel purchases. And the BofA Preferred Rewards will bring the 3% to 5.25% (at the Platinum Honors tier) for the AAA Member Rewards Credit Card.

Am I incorrect?

--
Old May 18, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Canadi>n Plus: President's Club (expired)
Originally Posted by Yoosh
The AAA card has a different bonus point system than the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Credit Card. I like it that it offers 3X points (consisting of 2 bonus points and 1 base point) on qualifying AAA and travel purchases. As far as I know, only the upcoming Costco Anywhere Visa Card issued by Citi offers 3% cash back on travel purchases. And the BofA Preferred Rewards will bring the 3% to 5.25% (at the Platinum Honors tier) for the AAA Member Rewards Credit Card.

Am I incorrect?
Read Footnote 2 a bit more carefully, so it seems that the BofA Preferred Rewards will bring the 3% to only 3.75% (at the Platinum Honors tier) for the AAA Member Rewards Credit Card. Does this sound correct?

If so, it still seems to be highest cash reward credit card for travel purchases...

--
Old May 18, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Yoosh
Read Footnote 2 a bit more carefully, so it seems that the BofA Preferred Rewards will bring the 3% to only 3.75% (at the Platinum Honors tier) for the AAA Member Rewards Credit Card. Does this sound correct?

If so, it still seems to be highest cash reward credit card for travel purchases...

--
Yes, it's 3.75% on travel purchases. I have (and use heavily) that card.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by trikotret
Yup. Just open the business card as a sole proprietor and you can redeem the cash rewards into your personal acct
Hey trikotret, I've been following this thread from the sidelines while this whole Fidelity conversion process played out. Now I know 100% I definitely do need another card to be able to cash out my 2.65% point accumulation from the TR visa to a 1% cash back card.

Do you have a link to the specific business visa card you're using to do this? I don't want to sign up for the wrong one. PM it to me if that's better for you, and thanks for doing this research!
Old May 18, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tangfish
Hey trikotret, I've been following this thread from the sidelines while this whole Fidelity conversion process played out. Now I know 100% I definitely do need another card to be able to cash out my 2.65% point accumulation from the TR visa to a 1% cash back card.

Do you have a link to the specific business visa card you're using to do this? I don't want to sign up for the wrong one. PM it to me if that's better for you, and thanks for doing this research!
This card
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...s-credit-card/

Last edited by mia; May 19, 2016 at 2:26 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
The BofA Cash Reward card now has updated benefits:

1% cash back everywhere, every time, 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 3% on gas for the first $2,500 in combined grocery/wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Daytona
The BofA Cash Reward card now has updated benefits:

1% cash back everywhere, every time, 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 3% on gas for the first $2,500 in combined grocery/wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter
It's nice to see a bank actually improve a benefit, even if the improvement isn't huge. Really the only way I see it as significant is for Costco people since most BOA Cash Rewards cards are Visa. But it would still only matter if you're shopping at Costco infrequently enough that you don't want their specific CC. For BJ's or Sam's, you can use your Double Cash just the same, as they don't limit people to one processor, so really not a big deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.