Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAA co-branded AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
USAA co-branded AMEX

Does anyone know if a co-branded AMEX has the same seniority features as another "regular" AMEX product?

I've understood from reading here AMEX cards even if issued recently harken back to year of first AMEX issue.

I'm not being approved for travel rewards cards now because the lack of seniority with the averaging is hurting my cause. Many of my cards or my AU statuses work out to 2 years or less. My score is actually improving but the age factor is hurting. The same with my DH.

Everyone agrees not to close accounts because of the debt ratio concern. If I pay off some small CC debts on these newer cards and close them, will this help?

Let me give a few examples lest I cause ill-fitting conclusions.

I have the Barclays US MC from Dec and the Chase WN RR Visa from Oct. I did receive my bonus miles from both. If I could keep those bonus miles, could I close that Barclays to eliminate one card from the averaging? I don't want to close my WN RR.

I also was added to my DH's brand spanking new Chase Amazon in Dec. Should I delete me as an AU? I don't use it. And, should I remove myself from my DH's Chase UA card opened in April, 13? Oh, wait, the anniversary is close. That means AF...

What about my new BOA cash rewards card recently issued? I can claim my bonus and be done? I will see if they will transfer the amount of the CL back to another card they took it from. I've had the older card for over 7 years.

Should I close a CU CC that offered 0% interest for a year after it's paid off in June? I don't expect another promotion would be forthcoming. That one might ouch a bit because of the $5k CL.

Thanks for insight.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Does anyone know if a co-branded AMEX has the same seniority features as another "regular" AMEX product?

I've understood from reading here AMEX cards even if issued recently harken back to year of first AMEX issue.

I'm not being approved for travel rewards cards now because the lack of seniority with the averaging is hurting my cause. Many of my cards or my AU statuses work out to 2 years or less. My score is actually improving but the age factor is hurting. The same with my DH.

Everyone agrees not to close accounts because of the debt ratio concern. If I pay off some small CC debts on these newer cards and close them, will this help?

Let me give a few examples lest I cause ill-fitting conclusions.

I have the Barclays US MC from Dec and the Chase WN RR Visa from Oct. I did receive my bonus miles from both. If I could keep those bonus miles, could I close that Barclays to eliminate one card from the averaging? I don't want to close my WN RR.

I also was added to my DH's brand spanking new Chase Amazon in Dec. Should I delete me as an AU? I don't use it. And, should I remove myself from my DH's Chase UA card opened in April, 13? Oh, wait, the anniversary is close. That means AF...

What about my new BOA cash rewards card recently issued? I can claim my bonus and be done? I will see if they will transfer the amount of the CL back to another card they took it from. I've had the older card for over 7 years.

Should I close a CU CC that offered 0% interest for a year after it's paid off in June? I don't expect another promotion would be forthcoming. That one might ouch a bit because of the $5k CL.

Thanks for insight.
I think I understand your question. The USAA card is not issued by Amex so your years of membership from the USAA card will not carry over to a card issued by Amex. I have had an Amex card since 1989. When I got the Blue Cash Preferred card the card showed member since 1989 and the card showed history from 1989 on my credit report. If you get another USAA card it will not back date because of your USAA Amex.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Cards with you as the primary holder continue to age for about 10yrs even after canceling. They don't just magically fall off after the account is closed. AU cards can be removed from your credit report but it takes some effort.

If you are worried about your AAoA, the easiest way to increase it is to keep your cards open.... Especially if they are no AF cards. Signing up for new cards will only set you back further.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Thank you both for your responses.

Interesting about the 10 years. That would explain why I get no credit for having a couple of cards I previously cancelled because I'm allergic to annual fees. Delta, for instance.

Would getting another DL AMEX help with aging? I'm always getting offers but seldom fly DL. Last flight 2008, maybe?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Thank you both for your responses.

Interesting about the 10 years. That would explain why I get no credit for having a couple of cards I previously cancelled because I'm allergic to annual fees. Delta, for instance.

Would getting another DL AMEX help with aging? I'm always getting offers but seldom fly DL. Last flight 2008, maybe?
You do get credit for closed cards..... Which is why I said they continue to age for 10 years. I suggest you pull your credit report and you will see your old accounts still listed.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If the card is ISSUED by American Express, then it will backdate, even if it is co-branded (for example, the Delta or Starwood cards).

If the card is issued by someone else (Bank of America, USAA, or some other bank) and is just on the American Express network, then it will not.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

TY!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I just got approved for the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card.

$150 cashback, after the first $500 in charges.
5% cash back for gasoline and military base purchases up to $3,000 annually.
2% at grocery stores up to $3,000 annually.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank-cr...erican-express

This is my first USAA card, my father was in the military in the late 1960's--early 1970's.
Does anyone have experience with this card or USAA in general?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
I'm a big fan of USAA and have their Limitless 2.5% cashback card (no longer available).

I've never had any issues with their products or their service.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I'm surprised USAA does not get more attention here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.