Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is an archive of messages from threads started in 2014 requesting advice on proposed credit card App-o-Rama (AOR) or "churns". These threads are seldom revived after the Original Poster reports results, but they generate a large number of false positives when using Search this Forum to locate discussions of specific cards.

The 2013 archive is here:

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Print Wikipost

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by woow14610
...So I have following cards..
Chase Freedom, Ink and United.

My wife got,
Ink and United.

I would like to apply for southwest so wondering how I should manage This. Could you please provide your expert advice?
Many people apply for both personal and business Southwest cards on the same day, but there is no need to do so. I got a personal card in October and did the spending late December - early January, and will be applying for the business card 90+ days later if/when there is a 50K business card available. You don't need the companion pass until you travel (or a few days before) unless the flight you will be taking completely sell out - as long as there is a seat for sale. You can add your companion to any booking made at any time once you get the pass.

In case you hadn't read or noticed this, UR points transferred to Southwest DO NOT count toward your companion pass unless transferred to a hotel program first.

My 2 cents - get Southwest business and personal cards on the same type of schedule you would get any 2 other cards you want.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is one hobby that takes time, take a weekend lock yourself in your room with snacks and drinks and read whole threads, yes some are a few years old, but understanding how the game has evolved will give you an understanding on how to play it.
Did anyone else just have a flashback to the SouthPark episode where they're playing WoW and Cartman yells "MOM, MORE HOTPOCKETS!"?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I think we need a wiki, never close a chase card.... The credit limit that was on that card was lost, that CL could have been moved over to the Fiarmount card with a simple call.

BTW, this game or hobby (whatever you call it) you can't be lazy, you have to be proactive, if not you could lose out so many offers...
thanks for the feedback.. I always learn something new by posting here. SW card had 3k limit and I should have sucked up and paid that $69 to keep that card open.

With my current cards, I should be able to take a couple of thousand from each and open this card with 5k limit.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:17 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Did an aor today given some nice offers. I try to minimize inquiries to improve chances. I have ~15 open cards. AAoA is 2 yrs and history is 7 years. I had balances reporting on 3 cards with <10% utilization.

All bureaus were frozen initially
Inq in last 6/12/24
TU: 0/1/6
EQ: 1/3/8
EX: 0/1/10

Unlock exp
- amex blue: instant
- wells fargo 5x: pending

Lock exp, unlock tu
- barclays arrival: instant

Lock tu, unlock EQ
- citi hilton reserve: instant
- chase fairmont: pending
- us bank club carlson business: instant

Waiting for the denial letters for wells fargo and chase for recon calls
@mintcilantro - could you please share your reason why you lock your credit reports at the bureaus? And why unlock them in sequence as you posted rather than unlock all at once?

If I have to guess, this could prevent more than one pull per bank, and if this is the plan, does this strategy involve any downsides (such as less chance of instant approval)? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Many people apply for both personal and business Southwest cards on the same day, but there is no need to do so. I got a personal card in October and did the spending late December - early January, and will be applying for the business card 90+ days later if/when there is a 50K business card available. You don't need the companion pass until you travel (or a few days before) unless the flight you will be taking completely sell out - as long as there is a seat for sale. You can add your companion to any booking made at any time once you get the pass.

In case you hadn't read or noticed this, UR points transferred to Southwest DO NOT count toward your companion pass unless transferred to a hotel program first.

My 2 cents - get Southwest business and personal cards on the same type of schedule you would get any 2 other cards you want.
KennyBSAT...Thank you so much. Kind poeple like you makes the difference. Yes I did read about not being able to transfer points UR points directly. I still see the offer for 50K personal offer from referral link but not the business. is there anyway I could apply for 2 personal cards (wife and me) and get the points moved to 1 RR#

Last edited by woow14610; Jan 5, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:45 pm

KennyBSAT...Thank you so much. Kind poeple like you make the difference. Yes I did read about not being able to transfer points UR points directly. I still see the offer for 50K personal offer from referral link but not the business. is there anyway I could apply for 2 personal cards (wife and me) and get the points moved to 1 RR#
No, you can not. Business link https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...DF01&SPID=F6KX from the bottom of this page https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/radio
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:53 pm

KennyBSAT...Thank you so much. Kind poeple like you makes the difference. Yes I did read about not being able to transfer points UR points directly. I still see the offer for 50K personal offer from referral link but not the business. is there anyway I could apply for 2 personal cards (wife and me) and get the points moved to 1 RR#
If you have a premium card. Check the wiki:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html

No one can tell you what to go after, but educating yourself in this game is something YOU need to do. Asking questions to clarify a misunderstanding is different then wanting people to tell you what to do.

This is one hobby that takes time, take a weekend lock yourself in your room with snacks and drinks and read whole threads, yes some are a few years old, but understanding how the game has evolved will give you an understanding on how to play it.
I'm new at this too, but I can say this is 100% right. You've got to learn how things work, what works and what doesn't, etc. People can answer questions for you all day long (until they get tired of it), but in the end, if you ask a lot of overly simplistic questions, people are just going to assume you haven't done your research, and stop answering.

Again, don't take this the wrong way. I'm about to ask some questions of my own, some of which will probably seem pretty basic to some of the people around here. But these questions only come after hours of reading and research, and hopefully they reflect that.

Last edited by bobert24; Jan 5, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:03 pm

Ah yeah. that.is what I figured.I saw that link for the business but I was worried since it did not have it own landing page. Great. I will try both the business and personal together. Kenny given there is Business card with 50K will you be applying?

Last edited by woow14610; Jan 5, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:19 pm

Jan. 15 or later - 90+ days after my last apps
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
Sounds like a solid strategy to me except Amex PRG. They've had "flash" 50 and 75K offers in the past; I wouldn't bother for 25,000.
how often do these flash offers pop up and where is best place to watch for them??
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
how often do these flash offers pop up and where is best place to watch for them??
flash offers really far and between. and it is literally flash.

but like what he said dont settle for 25k. I waited and one day a targeted offer arrived in my mailbox tru snailmail
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:42 pm

I've seen a couple places recommend no more than 2 cards per issuing bank in a single AOR. I'm guessing this is a pretty good guideline to follow? I've only ever had one Chase card (BA 100k card ~4 years ago), but as I plan my first real AOR, I suddenly find myself interested in a half dozen of their cards. I'm assuming I should knock it down to 2 from them, and wait (91 days or so?) before applying for another round?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bobert24
I'm assuming I should knock it down to 2 from them, and wait (91 days or so?) before applying for another round?
Getting more than 2 at a time is tough, so yes.

Think about prioritizing them by some combination of value and likely expiration date of the offers.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Getting more than 2 at a time is tough, so yes.

Think about prioritizing them by some combination of value and likely expiration date of the offers.
I think what happens is people jump in this game a couple of months before they want to take a trip and RUSH to get all the points ASAP...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
My bad, yes, they need to go through a Hotel first, like Marriot then off to SW..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.