Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is an archive of messages from threads started in 2014 requesting advice on proposed credit card App-o-Rama (AOR) or "churns". These threads are seldom revived after the Original Poster reports results, but they generate a large number of false positives when using Search this Forum to locate discussions of specific cards.

The 2013 archive is here:

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Print Wikipost

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by cricfan777
You should go after the Chase Southwest RR business card. Make sure u tell them u r the sole proprietor. Look around a few sites and they'll explain you how to sign up for one. Once u have a total of 110,000 miles, you'll get a companion pass until Dec 31st 2015. So the sooner u reach 110,000 miles, the more time you have to use it. The pass is redeemable even when you use points to book the 1st ticket. It's value is around 1.8c/mile so that's $1800 for your 110,000 miles + $1800 for your companion = $3600!!. And since you have the chase sapphire preferred card, once you are out of points, you could transfer some points from your chase account to southwest and get 2 tickets out of it.
Hey I was hesitating to apply for this card but then I gave it some thought and realised the 99 dollar fee is essentially same as 6000 annual points. It washes it away. After the devaluation it will be lesser but still I get the 50k+50k points and CP like you mentioned. I went ahead and applied and got some tricks from a blog like you mentioned and got a 5k limit on the card. Thanks for the help
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:53 pm

New guy to Flyertalk... need help with a AOR please.

Thanks for any replies to this.

I'm married with 2 little girls. We're wanting to go to Disneyworld/land. We have completed two rounds of credit cards. Here's what my wife and I currently have:

Chase Ink Plus (2) {0 points, cashed out due to medical emergency}
IHG (2) {180,000 points}
Chase Sapphire (2) {0 points}
Barclay Arrival (2) {38K points}
SPG (2) {70K points}
CITI AA Platinum {57K}

I am considering doing the SPG Flights & Nights, then would need 2 additional flights. I live in Springfield, MO, but could fly out of STL, KC, or Tulsa if needed. I need help figuring out the best cards to apply for next to get us to Disneyworld/land for free-cheap.

My wife and I will likely apply for 3 cards each. Thanks for your advice on anything regarding what I have going.

-Jason
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jasonalanmorgan
Thanks for any replies to this.

I'm married with 2 little girls. We're wanting to go to Disneyworld/land. We have completed two rounds of credit cards. Here's what my wife and I currently have:

Chase Ink Plus (2) {0 points, cashed out due to medical emergency}
IHG (2) {180,000 points}
Chase Sapphire (2) {0 points}
Barclay Arrival (2) {38K points}
SPG (2) {70K points}
CITI AA Platinum {57K}

I am considering doing the SPG Flights & Nights, then would need 2 additional flights. I live in Springfield, MO, but could fly out of STL, KC, or Tulsa if needed. I need help figuring out the best cards to apply for next to get us to Disneyworld/land for free-cheap.

My wife and I will likely apply for 3 cards each. Thanks for your advice on anything regarding what I have going.

-Jason
Without going into which airlines you can use, there are plenty of options.

If you don't mind a large spend and have time, do this for each of you:

1. Chase Ink Bold for 50K
2. Amex SPG business for 35K

If you can use American Airlines apply for:

3a) Citi AA business for 50K (if you have applied for AA personal within the last 18-24 months, if not apply for personal)

or

3b) Chase British for 50K Avios ($95 annual fee)

For Disney World and with 2 kids, I would never bother with a hotel. Rent a 3-bdr villa with a pool and Jacuzzi in the area; they come so cheap you won't believe it. Check usual vacation rental places. Use Arrival for car rental, and perhaps partially for house rental, I hear AIRBNB codes as travel.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Depending on when you are trying to go (assume you will have enough time to complete the minimum spends to trigger the bonuses...)

Airfare: I would suggest you and your wife getting two each of the Chase Southwest cards, put a little extra spend on them and get the Companion pass (for both). You can designate each of the girls to one of you so all of you could fly down for just the $5.00 service fee a piece. Fly STL-MCO.

Hotel: Both you and your wife should get the business version of the SPG Amex. Combine points in total across the new cards and what you already have and stay at the Swan or Dolphin right off the Disney Boardwalk area. Can't beat the location.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by mnscout
For Disney World and with 2 kids, I would never bother with a hotel. Rent a 3-bdr villa with a pool and Jacuzzi in the area; they come so cheap you won't believe it. Check usual vacation rental places. Use Arrival for car rental, and perhaps partially for house rental, I hear AIRBNB codes as travel.
Of course, this is great advice as well..especially if you can use the Arrival to pay for the rental. If AIRBNB codes correctly, this is your way to go - especially given the fact you already have some of those points. Anyone know if HomeAway or VRBO also codes as travel?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I will second the Chase Southwest card. Southwest will fly out of Branson at least thru June 6, if that helps your travel.

If you can get spending bonus and other spending to exceed 110,000 points, then you will get a Companion Pass to let one of you fly free. Also, Southwest charges for award flights based on cost, so a $100 fare to MCO will cost almost no points.

I also like the villa option. Timeshare rentals are a great way for a family to see Disney.

Last edited by Texas Booster; Jan 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:31 pm

First AOR...Would like some feedback before I submit. 778 CreditKarma.

Currently Own:
Chase Freedom
AMEX BCE
Discover IT
Barclays NFL

Next up tonight:
CSP
Citi Hilton HHonors
US Bank - Club Carlson
Barclay Arrival

Does that looks good? Any I should add/skip?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by KeRiSvo
First AOR...Would like some feedback before I submit. 778 CreditKarma.

Next up tonight:
CSP
Citi Hilton HHonors
US Bank - Club Carlson
Barclay Arrival

Does that looks good? Any I should add/skip?

Thanks!
I value AA much higher than HH, but either is fine. I would apply for US Bank, then Barclays, then Chase, then Citi. Or reverse the first two if you like.

You could add the BoA Alaska card which gives 25K miles immediately and a $100 statement credit to more than cover the $75 fee after $1K spending within 3 months: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...2240008-513864
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
I value AA much higher than HH, but either is fine. I would apply for US Bank, then Barclays, then Chase, then Citi. Or reverse the first two if you like.

You could add the BoA Alaska card which gives 25K miles immediately and a $100 statement credit to more than cover the $75 fee after $1K spending within 3 months: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...2240008-513864
Looks like I'm gonna pass on the US Bank one, didn't see the fee.

These seem to be the best offers I can find:
CSP
AMEX Hilton HHonors
Citi AA
Barclay Arrival
BoA Alaska
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:37 pm

This will be my first AOR. Any help is appreciated. My goal is to get both Southwest 50K cards, along with the companion pass. I figure that since I'll be applying for both of those, I might as well do an AOR. Would applying for more cards put me in any additional risk of not having both SW cards accepted?

Credit Karma Score: 770

Current Cards:
Capital One Venture (main card)
Chase British Airways
Citi American Airlines

I need to cancel both the Chase and the Citi card, but I'm pretty sure I should do that after the AOR, correct?

Assuming a couple other apps won't mess up my chances at getting the SW cards, can you recommend a couple to apply for? Miles are always nice to have, that or good hotel points. Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Hey I was hesitating to apply for this card but then I gave it some thought and realised the 99 dollar fee is essentially same as 6000 annual points. It washes it away. After the devaluation it will be lesser but still I get the 50k+50k points and CP like you mentioned. I went ahead and applied and got some tricks from a blog like you mentioned and got a 5k limit on the card. Thanks for the help
Great! I signed up for the cards in late Oct. Just started using them and now trying to reach $10,000 soon or a trip in a few months.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Of course, this is great advice as well..especially if you can use the Arrival to pay for the rental. If AIRBNB codes correctly, this is your way to go - especially given the fact you already have some of those points. Anyone know if HomeAway or VRBO also codes as travel?
From what I know, they do not, but some folks received credit for their stay as a one-time courtesy.

About Southwest, we don't know when the 50K bonus will become available, and I wouldn't go for 25K as long as there are other options.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Thank you very much. True, I need to figure out what my aim is before I apply for cards blindly. I applied for CSP and Chase SW business/premier. Like you said, I will apply for Amex SPG and INK and a AA card in my next AOR. Thanks once again.
NOt having a plan is the biggest issue I see people do, getting random points is a waste of a hit on your CR, get a plain on what the points/miles you need for a trip and go for that. This will save a lot of head aches in the long run.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by toade
I need to cancel both the Chase and the Citi card, but I'm pretty sure I should do that after the AOR, correct?
Why do you "need" to cancel these cards? That is really one of the worse things to do.... How much education have you done about this game have you done?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:04 am

Thanks for all this info! You guys are amazing and I appreciate your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.