Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which vacation rental sites code as travel?

Old Jan 17, 14, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP

My wife and I each just picked up the Capital One Venture and the Barclay's Arrival as part of our most recent AOR. Hit the spend on them all in the first week and now just waiting for the first statement to close and start getting those points ready to spend.

We would like to use the points to rent a vacation property in Orlando for an upcoming trip to Disney late March. It seems as if some websites code the rental as travel whereas others do not. After reading through some comments on the boards as well as a general search, here is what I could determine...any thoughts, changes, or additions?

Definitely posts as travel-related
  • airbnb

Does NOT post as travel
  • vrbo.com
  • homeaway
Old Jan 18, 14, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Not all Airbnb bookings post as travel. One of mine didn't but I think because it was run through PayPal since it was an international booking.
Old Jan 19, 14, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I've used airbnb for international booking for condo in Thailand and it was reimbursable. Not sure of issue but airbnb worked fine for me
Old Feb 9, 14, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Can anyone else confirm airbnb should post properly? (so long as it is not paypal)?

Also, am I correct in that vrbo or homeaway will not post as travel?
Old Jan 21, 15, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
My wife and I each just picked up the Capital One Venture and the Barclay's Arrival as part of our most recent AOR. Hit the spend on them all in the first week and now just waiting for the first statement to close and start getting those points ready to spend.

We would like to use the points to rent a vacation property in Orlando for an upcoming trip to Disney late March. It seems as if some websites code the rental as travel whereas others do not. After reading through some comments on the boards as well as a general search, here is what I could determine...any thoughts, changes, or additions?

Definitely posts as travel-related
  • airbnb

Does NOT post as travel
  • vrbo.com
  • homeaway
OK. After 1 year of posting is it still true that Cap one and Barclays do not code VRBO as travel? Any updates?
Old Jan 25, 15, 6:53 am

VRBO is so inherently "travel" that it not being coded as travel is the biggest travesty in this program. It seems like VRBO/homeaway would want to change their MCC because it would seem that they would obviously receive more business if people could use the statement credits.

Has anyone been successful calling Barclays for a manual adjustment?
Old Jan 30, 15, 10:36 pm

I booked a vrbo listed property via tripadvisor and it coded as travel on my barclays arrival. I do agree that vrbo and homeaway should change the policy on this since, it is usually a deciding factor whenever I go this route for my accommodations. Do the same rules apply for flipkey?
Old Jan 31, 15, 8:41 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bigugly View Post

Has anyone been successful calling Barclays for a manual adjustment?
Is there such thing as a "manual adjustment"? Has anyone ever pulled that off ?
Old Jan 31, 15, 9:18 pm

I booked a VRBO through Homeaway a week ago and Chase did *not* give me +1 UR per dollar for travel.
Old Nov 8, 15, 6:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I am on the other side of these transactions as a property manager and I use the same processor as Homeaway. When I asked about changing my code to a travel related code (we are real estate related), the discount code jumps by 0.6%. Just for our company, that would be about $6000/year increase. Across all of the listings on Homeaway, if they were all switched, it would be about $30,000,000. My guess is that they are going to try to get away with the real estate code as long as they can. With the purchase by Expedia, that may not be much longer.
Old Sep 20, 16, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
This is what I got back from VRBO. Clear as mud:

Thank you for contacting VRBO.com Customer Support. I hope this email finds you well.

Most likely it is coded as travel, since I asked a couple of people who have used VRBO and HA what is coded on their bank and they replied as travel.

Usually, you can also change the code if it looks wrong such as going into the account and renaming what it's supposed to be.

If you need further assistance, please visit our Help page at the link below to find commonly asked questions and answers.
http://help.vrbo.com

Thank you for using VRBO.com, a member of the HomeAway family of brands. HomeAway is the world leader in vacation rentals, with over 1 million listings.

Best regards,

Stephanie
VRBO.com Customer Support
Old Sep 20, 16, 3:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
For another data point: it's not rental, but Hilton timeshares (HGVC) codes as travel. Certainly better than doing ACH.
Old Sep 20, 16, 3:30 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by giesen5 View Post
This is what I got back from VRBO.
In general, people who work at a company will not know how their merchant account is classified because the code is often selected for them by their acquirer , the company which processes their card transactions.
Old Sep 21, 16, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia View Post
In general, people who work at a company will not know how their merchant account is classified because the code is often selected for them by their acquirer , the company which processes their card transactions.
Wonderful, just wonderful. I went through VRBO and Capital One and STILL don't have a clear answer.
Old Jan 19, 17, 11:45 am

Just paid a deposit for a VRBO/Homeaway on my Sapphire Preferred and no travel bonus.