Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It sounds like a counter service place, not table service. I don't expect major problems with the card there. I do wonder how they'll handle Apple Pay/NFC though or whether they've seen a fair number of contactless users yet.
Yes, counter service. Should be able to do contactless with the FD-40. Maybe next time I'm there I'll see if they will let me try contactless with the Wells Fargo Visa. Don't want to use Apple Pay there since they're a MOGL participant, so I'd miss out on my cash back since the system would see the DAN rather than the PAN (which is the number registered with MOGL).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It sounds like a counter service place, not table service. I don't expect major problems with the card there. I do wonder how they'll handle Apple Pay/NFC though or whether they've seen a fair number of contactless users yet.
Debit cards are usually routed over the credit network for signature; I was assuming she'd be a bit freaked out by a PIN request on her screen was my point (unless PIN credit is disabled on the POS CVM). I suppose she'd have to hand over the pin pad again.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Debit cards are usually routed over the credit network for signature; I was assuming she'd be a bit freaked out by a PIN request on her screen was my point (unless PIN credit is disabled on the POS CVM). I suppose she'd have to hand over the pin pad again.
My two previous failures have been due to the terminal being kinda inaccessible and the clerks not wanting to bother moving it. Since the PIN pad was handed over for tip entry I figured there'd be fewer problems there.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Yes, counter service. Should be able to do contactless with the FD-40. Maybe next time I'm there I'll see if they will let me try contactless with the Wells Fargo Visa. Don't want to use Apple Pay there since they're a MOGL participant, so I'd miss out on my cash back since the system would see the DAN rather than the PAN (which is the number registered with MOGL).
I've thought about adding the DAN for one of my cards to AAdvantage/SkyMiles/MileagePlus Dining (they only ask for the card number, not expiration or CVV) to see if I still get the bonus miles but haven't gotten around to it yet since none of their participants that I've been to seem to have EMV or contactless. Getting the full DAN requires a card reader, which I have; however, I wonder how much of a pain it will be keeping that in sync with those services.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Randy's Donuts has enabled EMV. I saw the cashier insert the card on the PIN pad, so it's unknown what would happen if one used a chip-and-PIN card:

Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Randy's Donuts has enabled EMV. I saw the cashier insert the card on the PIN pad, so it's unknown what would happen if one used a chip-and-PIN card:

Interestingly, I tried to add that business to the map but Google was passing the street address as "Randy's Donuts" instead of the one on the receipt (and didn't populate the name box). I was able to manually fix it in the database but depending on how big of a problem it is for others it may need to be worked around. Anyone else run into similar issues for other places?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Added Rice Things (a Japanese take-out place in Redondo Beach) to the map

Rice Things
2401 Artesia Blvd #105
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:51 am

I wonder how long this map will remain a feasible and worthwhile project. At least in theory, it should balloon exponentially in the coming six weeks as merchant acquirers, large merchant chains, and Square users all come online.

That said it is interesting as I think a lot of merchants are firmly committed to a f it attitude. Compliance will come but only after the card networks have broken some small but high value non compliant stores like camera shops as an example. I wouldn't be too shocked if even a large chain that doesn't comply gets hit.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
I wonder how long this map will remain a feasible and worthwhile project. At least in theory, it should balloon exponentially in the coming six weeks as merchant acquirers, large merchant chains, and Square users all come online.

That said it is interesting as I think a lot of merchants are firmly committed to a f it attitude. Compliance will come but only after the card networks have broken some small but high value non compliant stores like camera shops as an example. I wouldn't be too shocked if even a large chain that doesn't comply gets hit.
The same could be asked of the EMV threads, really. We're at the point now IMO where signature-only (or at least signature preferring) is a safe assumption for card products that haven't already been reported on by people. There have also been multiple reports from people that basically say that US issued cards have few to no issues for most people, other than the possible annoyance of having to sign for stuff more often than in the US. There are still some unanswered questions though. Is debit really going to work like it does now for swipe cards, even if the card is PIN-preferring on the Visa/MC AID? Will portable terminals at restaurants ever be all that common? I'd also like to see a working pay at the pump implementation of EMV too.

Anyway, I see the site being useful out to at least 2017 simply because of the gas station liability shift. Maybe a year or two more in the unlikely event that the liability shift's delayed at the last second. However, I can totally see Visa and MC having to do a contactless mandate in the US. I feel like there's a lot more resentment of those companies by retailers here than elsewhere, so anything that makes card use less of a hassle is going to be resisted by a fair number of them. In effect, EMV could play right into some retailers' hands in a way; by making general card use difficult, consumers may seek out other options, whether that's the retailer's own payment system (e.g. Starbucks' app), their own magstripe-only store card or even cash. This assumes of course that people continue to not be okay with the extra perceived wait time an EMV transaction has compared to a magstripe one.

We'll see what happens in any case though.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how long this map will remain a feasible and worthwhile project.
At some point (but when?) I expect it to be replaced by map showing places that have not yet enabled EMV (that aren't gas stations).

And perhaps another map showing gas stations that have enabled EMV.

(The schedule for gas stations is years after the schedule for most other merchants.)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I wonder how much foreign card issuers will change their fraud systems for US transactions come the liability shift. A lot of European issuers are very trigger happy on blocking US transactions. I expect some banks will be well its not our fault, so we'll let anything we're not liable for through (And just call or text you to confirm transactions without actually blocking them).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I wonder how much foreign card issuers will change their fraud systems for US transactions come the liability shift. A lot of European issuers are very trigger happy on blocking US transactions. I expect some banks will be well its not our fault, so we'll let anything we're not liable for through (And just call or text you to confirm transactions without actually blocking them).
Magnetic stripe transactions should raise suspicions. I assume that's what you're referring to? Or are they trigger happy on chip transactions in the US as well?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Magnetic stripe transactions should raise suspicions. I assume that's what you're referring to? Or are they trigger happy on chip transactions in the US as well?
I think he's saying that non U S merchants will stop voiding/hassling signature transactions if they don't have to worry so much about charge back on chip + sig card liability not affecting them directly.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm actually surprised that European issuers haven't just permanently blocked their normal cards from working in the US and started issuing temporary cards with a different PAN that work only for the duration of a trip. Or maybe there are but they're not major issuers?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:41 pm

Sorry for the confusion, it made in sense in my head, I promise

Yeah its usually magnetic stripe transactions that raise suspicion in the US.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:42 pm

I'm actually surprised that European issuers haven't just permanently blocked their normal cards from working in the US and started issuing temporary cards with a different PAN that work only for the duration of a trip. Or maybe there are but they're not major issuers?
Some of the smaller building societies (equivalent to US credit unions) will decline all magnetic stripe transactions unless you inform them your going abroad. Which isn't great as some UK merchants (like parking meters) still use the magnetic stripe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.