Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I can attest that my Chase Hyatt card works at the Torrance Walmart, which was already confirmed by another person. Swiped it, gave me insert card message, cashier told me I have a chip card and showed me how to do it (very well trained on the matter; not that I needed it), screen showed that it was a "Chase VISA Card," asked me to verify the amount, and processed it through the chip.
Nice to see some US issuers are playing around with some of the more optional features like the personalised application name. American Express used to do it in the UK on their personal cards by using "Platinum American Express", "Cashback American Express" etc. and "Corporate Card", was useful when I was trying to find receipts for expenses. Capital One and Barclaycard also do that, "Cap1 MasterCard" and "Barclaycard Visa/Amex" respectively.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:22 am

I can attest that my Chase Hyatt card works at the Torrance Walmart, which was already confirmed by another person. Swiped it, gave me insert card message, cashier told me I have a chip card and showed me how to do it (very well trained on the matter; not that I needed it), screen showed that it was a "Chase VISA Card," asked me to verify the amount, and processed it through the chip.

Cashier mentioned that it's still slow but this was how it's going to be as Walmart takes credit card security more seriously than other companies. Seems like that's going to be Walmart's next slogan?
Some Walmarts are much faster than others. Missoula is slow most of the time, whereas Helena is similar to a swiped transaction.

Also surprised that yours is named 'Chase VISA Card' mine has an application label of 'Chase VisaCredit'
Old May 12, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by alexmt
Also surprised that yours is named 'Chase VISA Card' mine has an application label of 'Chase VisaCredit'
It could've been the latter; didn't really pay that much attention other than "cool, it actually shows on the display that's it's a Chase VISA card."

I wonder what my Andrews FCU card shows up as.

Since Walmart can now have official bragging rights as the first major national retailer to turn on EMV on a mass scale, they might as well make it a big thing out of it like "use your EMV card, get 10% off" or something of that nature to keep their competition out in the dust.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:30 am

It could've been the latter; didn't really pay that much attention other than "cool, it actually shows on the display that's it's a Chase VISA card."

I wonder what my Andrews FCU card shows up as.

Since Walmart can now have official bragging rights as the first major national retailer to turn on EMV on a mass scale, they might as well make it a big thing out of it like "use your EMV card, get 10% off" or something of that nature to keep their competition out in the dust.
That makes sense, I just wondered if Chase had multiple batches of cards.

Now, offering a discount for using a technology like this makes no sense. The idea is to save them money - but well under 1% so not enough to discount and it still have a purpose!
Old May 12, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
That makes sense, I just wondered if Chase had multiple batches of cards.

Now, offering a discount for using a technology like this makes no sense. The idea is to save them money - but well under 1% so not enough to discount and it still have a purpose!
IIRC, some retailers (partnered with a bank perhaps?) had given discounts when RFID contactless was being rolled out several years ago. It was done to get people get used to change by providing an incentive to do so.

I think my local CVS had something like that much like they were giving discounts to those who brought their own shopping bags. Then again, it could be a local thing.

Last edited by kebosabi; May 12, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old May 12, 2014, 11:55 am

IIRC, some retailers (partnered with a bank perhaps?) had given discounts when RFID contactless was being rolled out several years ago. It was done to get people get used to change by providing an incentive to do so.

I think my local CVS had something like that much like they were giving discounts to those who brought their own shopping bags. Then again, it could be a local thing.
Using contactless is a choice - using the contact chip isn't.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Using contactless is a choice - using the contact chip isn't.
Sure there is. I can choose to pay cash, use my CapOne mag-stripe only card or use my EMV chipped Chase Hyatt card. That's a choice between three modes of payment right there.

Those who use the EMV card get 10% off at Walmart, more people will use Chase branded cards over CapOne, Walmart gains an edge against their competitors through this exclusive discount that only they can provide (as they're the only national retailer with active EMV terminals), and more people will get used to the idea EMV.

It doesn't have to be a long term thing. Walmart can do this for a limited time. And only an idea. Not saying that Walmart should do it, but they could take advantage of the fact that they're the nation's leader in EMV as of 2014/05.

Hey, if Walmart has fully activated EMV terminals that the rest of Murica still hasn't, more chance for them to capitalize on it to move ahead the rest of the pack; I could've bought my three 12 can packs of soda at Ralphs, I went to Walmart this weekend instead.

Last edited by kebosabi; May 12, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Sure there is. I can choose to pay cash, use my CapOne mag-stripe only card or use my EMV chipped Chase Hyatt card. That's a choice between three modes of payment right there.

Those who use the EMV card get 10% off at Walmart, more people will use Chase branded cards over CapOne, Walmart gains an edge against their competitors through this exclusive discount that only they can provide (as they're the only national retailer with active EMV terminals), and more people will get used to the idea EMV.

It doesn't have to be a long term thing. Walmart can do this for a limited time. And only an idea. Not saying that Walmart should do it, but they could take advantage of the fact that they're the nation's leader in EMV as of 2014/05.

Hey, if Walmart has fully activated EMV terminals that the rest of Murica still hasn't, more chance for them to capitalize on it to move ahead the rest of the pack; I could've bought my three 12 can packs of soda at Ralphs, I went to Walmart this weekend instead.
Given that it's mostly rich people who travel to Europe who have EMV cards right now, it wouldn't be long before someone called Walmart out on subsidizing the rich by taxing the poor.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
it wouldn't be long before someone called Walmart out on subsidizing the rich by taxing the poor.
That's a new one. Rich people shopping at Walmart! Surely those making millions will buy Great Value brand raisin bran at Walmart over Kellogg's! I always see many Hollywood celebrities shopping at Walmart here in LA!

In all seriousness though, I doubt EMV cards are solely for the rich folk. Many people can join any number of CUs that offer EMV cards, anyone can apply for a BofA C&S card provided that their credit score isn't extremely low. Many people own Citi branded credit cards and they can be upgraded anytime.

Last edited by kebosabi; May 12, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always see many Hollywood celebrities shopping at Walmart here in LA!
Which one, the one on Cesar Chavez Avenue or the one on Crenshaw?

Because those are the only Walmarts I know of within the city limits of L A.

Ie, how many Hollywood celebrities drive dozens of miles from Beverly Hills or Hollywood or Malibu just to go to a Walmart?

Virtually all the Walmarts in the L A area are in the periphery suburbs plus adjacent counties.

Thus while Walmart shopping may be common in the South Bay and beyond, those who live north of LAX are not as likely to frequent them much (except on travels).

(And, for FlyerTalkers north of LAX, the biggest issue is not how hard it makes it to try out EMV cards domestically, it's how hard it makes MSing! )
Old May 12, 2014, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

In all seriousness though, I doubt EMV cards are solely for the rich folk. Many people can join any number of CUs that offer EMV cards, anyone can apply for a BofA C&S card provided that their credit score isn't extremely low. Many people own Citi branded credit cards and they can be upgraded anytime.
Sure, EMV cards are available to many people, but why would anyone bother getting one unless they plan to use it for international travel? There is currently no reason to have one for domestic purchases, although that may change soon. Some banks are upgrading EMV cards without asking, but those are the premium-level cards, not the ones that average folk use. I don't have scientific data, but I'm pretty sure that the average American with an EMV card in his/her wallet is much wealthier than the average American.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which one, the one on Cesar Chavez Avenue or the one on Crenshaw?

Because those are the only Walmarts I know of within the city limits of L A.
Despite the tendency to see the San Fernando Valley as separate entity, they are officially part of the City of LA and there are 3 Walmarts north of the Hollywood/Santa Monica mountains. Those Walmarts may have some B or C grade washed out Hollywood "celebs," especially the one in Van Nuys. Then it would be understandable somewhat for them to buy Great Value brand items, I suppose. But I don't think I'm going to see Paris Hilton there.

Last edited by kebosabi; May 12, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 11:09 pm

Sure, EMV cards are available to many people, but why would anyone bother getting one unless they plan to use it for international travel? There is currently no reason to have one for domestic purchases, although that may change soon. Some banks are upgrading EMV cards without asking, but those are the premium-level cards, not the ones that average folk use. I don't have scientific data, but I'm pretty sure that the average American with an EMV card in his/her wallet is much wealthier than the average American.
I think that was why Kebosabi wanted to see an incentive to call your bank and ask for an upgrade. I, however, think that security should never be treated like that. It needs to JUST HAPPEN.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:26 am

I think that was why Kebosabi wanted to see an incentive to call your bank and ask for an upgrade. I, however, think that security should never be treated like that. It needs to JUST HAPPEN.
To play devil's advocate for a second or two, several years ago as part of the whole bru ha ha regarding debit cards and swipe fees and the like, Walmart, for one, changed its policies regarding use of debit cards in transactions and basically said they would no longer give consumers the choice of signature based transaction (that is treating the debit card like a credit card and clearing through the visa/mc networks) or pin based (clearing through cirrus/plus or whatever as debit transactions). Remember the stink raised by some who didn't remember their pins or never used it or whatever. If we go the chip and pin route domestically, and quite frankly that is really looking more and more unlikely at least in total, just wait for the stink that will be raised, especially for folks with three or four different credit cards trying to match up which pin with which card. No matter how many times you tell them it's for their own security (which it really isn't), they will still scream bloody murder.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Sure, EMV cards are available to many people, but why would anyone bother getting one unless they plan to use it for international travel? There is currently no reason to have one for domestic purchases, although that may change soon.
My behavior is already changing. I used to rarely shop Wal-Mart before and now do so far more often because of their EMV acceptance. For me, every time I dip instead of swipe, it is one last chance I have of risking some rogue skimmer being installed to steal my info and clone my card.

Until EMV units are everywhere I feel that's the larger fraud reduction benefit. Reduce the skimming risk up front before it happens. Otherwise thieves will just skim and use cards in non-EMV terminals or off-line.

Be safe, dip, don't swipe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.