Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 8:02 pm

Walmart in Dallas two days ago. Tried swiping it a couple of times before the cashier told me to insert it. Once I did, it worked fine. A little spooky that I did not have to sign anything. Purchase was under $50 so that may have been why.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Walmart in Dallas two days ago. Tried swiping it a couple of times before the cashier told me to insert it. Once I did, it worked fine. A little spooky that I did not have to sign anything. Purchase was under $50 so that may have been why.
I'm surprised the terminal didn't tell you the card must be inserted when you tried to swipe it... it should have. Something must be set up wrong there, it works correctly here (you swipe, terminal says to insert the card)
Old May 6, 2014, 10:34 pm

Was at Walmart in San Diego, CA (the one off Aero Drive) in Sunday. Prompt on terminal said to insert or swipe card. Tried inserting my EMV SPG Amex, got an error. Tried a second time, still didn't work. Swiped and worked. So I don't know if my card is having trouble or it wasn't quite working there yet. Cardpeek seems to be able to read the card ok.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Was at Walmart in San Diego, CA (the one off Aero Drive) in Sunday. Prompt on terminal said to insert or swipe card. Tried inserting my EMV SPG Amex, got an error. Tried a second time, still didn't work. Swiped and worked. So I don't know if my card is having trouble or it wasn't quite working there yet. Cardpeek seems to be able to read the card ok.
Heh, I was at the Clairemont Mesa one just now. Andrews card needed to be inserted (got "card must be inserted" when swiping), but didn't ask for PIN (as expected) or signature.

And keeping in the spirit of this thread:

Old May 6, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Heh, I was at the Clairemont Mesa one just now. Andrews card needed to be inserted (got "card must be inserted" when swiping), but didn't ask for PIN (as expected) or signature.

And keeping in the spirit of this thread:

I thought Andrews had signature before PIN, and Walmart waives the signature.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alexmt
I thought Andrews had signature before PIN, and Walmart waives the signature.
That's what I mean. I was expecting it not to ask for PIN. The no signature thing is if the transaction is under a certain amount, I think.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That's what I mean. I was expecting it not to ask for PIN. The no signature thing is if the transaction is under a certain amount, I think.
Oooh, by "as expected" I thought you meant you expected it to ask for a PIN, and I can't remember - it's been years since I had to sign at Walmart.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
That's definitely the behavior of the terminals BEFORE they have EMV turned on, so your card is fine.

So it's getting to the point where it looks like Wal-Marts that do NOT handle EMV are becoming the exception, so be sure to let us know when this one is turned on. Maybe it will get the dubious distinction of being the last one in the country (that we know of!)
Old May 7, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
It'll be interesting to see how Walmart terminals react to chip and pin cards for small value transactions, mainly if it will bypass the PIN or not. My gut tells me no, as I haven't seen terminals do that in at least 5 years.

Last edited by reclusive46; May 7, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Old May 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
It'll be interesting to see how Walmart terminals react to chip and pin cards for small value transactions, mainly if it will bypass the PIN or not. My gut tells me no, as I haven't seen terminals do that in at least 5 years.
I do not believe the networks allow that behaviour.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexmt
I do not believe the networks allow that behaviour.
Pret a mange and McDonalds used to do it here in the UK until contactless started to be rolled out.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Pret a mange and McDonalds used to do it here in the UK until contactless started to be rolled out.
Interesting, I wonder if they somehow negotiated that as a condition of the speed they expect with the volume they offer.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Hmm, might worth to go to the Walmart in Torrance, CA again this weekend then.
I was in Torrance today and I stopped by the one on Hawthorne. EMV is enabled now! I was in the self checkout lane and after I swiped my card the self checkout screen and the card terminal told me to insert my card. I decided to feign ignorance and I asked an employee for help. She asked for my card and showed me how to insert it and told me to keep in until the machine told me to take it out. No issues with training here.
Old May 8, 2014, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
I was in Torrance today and I stopped by the one on Hawthorne. EMV is enabled now! I was in the self checkout lane and after I swiped my card the self checkout screen and the card terminal told me to insert my card. I decided to feign ignorance and I asked an employee for help. She asked for my card and showed me how to insert it and told me to keep in until the machine told me to take it out. No issues with training here.
Nope, only an issue with your training I know you're trying to spot-test them, but we also don't want stores to think they should delay EMV because it caused "customer confusion" - it's MUCH better to make it look like it's working perfect.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
Cool. I definitely have to go this weekend then and try it out. Summer season is coming so better stock up on cans of soda anyway.

This was the one right across the Del Amo mall right?

Last edited by kebosabi; May 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.