Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:41 pm

I cancelled my dads US air card about a month ago and just applied now for the 40K card.

He got the pending review, FICO 812 and he only applies for maybe 4 cards a year the last being an SPG about 5 months ago

When he had his US card open I tried ( about 6 months ago) to get him a 2nd US card and his denial said he already had sufficient credit at Barclay.

Since he now has zero open credit with Barclay it will be interesting to see what happens here.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
US Airways Barclays Mastercard and security freeze

I would like to apply for the Barclays US Airways MC but my credit reports have a freeze on them. Does anyone know which credit bureau Barclays uses so I can unfreeze that account? I tried calling the toll free number but the Filipino lady did not understand my question. I could unfreeze all 3 but would prefer to unfreeze just 1. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:19 pm

US Airways Barclays Mastercard and security freeze

TU for me in California but YMMV.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by RxCapt
I would like to apply for the Barclays US Airways MC but my credit reports have a freeze on them. Does anyone know which credit bureau Barclays uses so I can unfreeze that account? I tried calling the toll free number but the Filipino lady did not understand my question. I could unfreeze all 3 but would prefer to unfreeze just 1. Thanks.
The first thing that I do when I call Barclays is ask the rep if he/ she is in the United States. If the answer is negative, I ask to be connected to CS in the US. I have never been refused and the transferred call is answered promptly.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:42 pm

When does 40k miles post? It says after you pay annual fee, but I don`t see it posted to pay.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA

Call the Barclays reconsideration line

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jun 28, 2014 at 12:11 am
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Got an email today offering a 20% bonus on miles spent on this card in July and August, up to 10,000 bonus miles, with a rebate on all foreign transaction fees charged in July and August (statement credit supposed to show in October).

Not really much of a bonus, but since I have a six-week trip to Scotland planned for mid-July through the end of August, I might go ahead and slip this card in my wallet for the trip since I won't be carrying any other card where I'm trying to hit a bonus by meeting a minimum spend requirement.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Got an email today offering a 20% bonus on miles spent on this card in July and August, up to 10,000 bonus miles, with a rebate on all foreign transaction fees charged in July and August (statement credit supposed to show in October).
Can you tell me when you opened this card? thanks
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by duranza
Can you tell me when you opened this card? thanks
Late 2011. Back when there was still a Grand Slam promotion--one of my hits involved getting the card and several others involved my newly opened card. Rejected last fall for a second card but willing to get the 10K every year for paying the annual fee, especially as I saw the US miles becoming AA miles. Will apply again before this card goes away.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva

Not really much of a bonus, but since I have a six-week trip to Scotland planned for mid-July through the end of August, I might go ahead and slip this card in my wallet for the trip since I won't be carrying any other card where I'm trying to hit a bonus by meeting a minimum spend requirement.
Got the same offer on ours also. Cards opened Nov 2013.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Waiting to hear from Barclays on approval or denial on this card.. I applied July 1st after getting approval for the World Arrival Elite . If I get a denial obviously I will call but just wondered if it would help or hurt my calling to find out where they are at in the decision process. 10 days seems a bit excessive to see if you qualify or not.

I had up to 3 Barclay cards in 2013 then none since February, canceled USair w/10k bonus and no other applications since December 2013
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Just added a new link to the wiki - 40k signup plus 10k bonus on first anniversary.

I haven't tried the link; looking forward to feedback from someone brave enough.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Just added a new link to the wiki - 40k signup plus 10k bonus on first anniversary.

I haven't tried the link; looking forward to feedback from someone brave enough.
Thanks for the heads up! I was just approved this morning for the card and am now hoping to jump on the better offer.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Does anyone know which credit bureau Barclays uses so I can unfreeze that account?
I "think" they usually just pull Transunion. I know in my case that is all the ever pulled (live in VA).

Originally Posted by duranza
Waiting to hear from Barclays on approval or denial on this card.. I applied July 1st after getting approval for the World Arrival Elite . If I get a denial obviously I will call but just wondered if it would help or hurt my calling to find out where they are at in the decision process. 10 days seems a bit excessive to see if you qualify or not.

I had up to 3 Barclay cards in 2013 then none since February, canceled USair w/10k bonus and no other applications since December 2013
Barclays seems to not like it when folks apply for 2 or more of their products within ~6 months. The only time I was not auto-approved with them was when I applied for 2 cards (US Air 40K and NFL card $400 sign up bonus). When I called recon on the later after waiting about 4 days, I was asked several questions IRT why so many new cards in the last year, but at the end of the call was approved.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

What's considered a "Preferred Member". It doesn't seem to say. Silver status and higher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.