FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Hawaiian Airlines (Barclays and B of H banks) Personal/Bus. Card- [Up to 75K] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1536636-hawaiian-airlines-barclays-b-h-banks-personal-bus-card-up-75k.html)

LoneTree Jan 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 22130004)
No, not the only. There are also some Penfed cards and Andrew's whatever (too lazy to look).

Those are set up the same as Barclay's Hawaiian with Signature preferred. As it is currently, just USAA and Diner's are default Chip and PIN in the states.

Though the Wells Fargo EMV card may be different, but nobody has tested it or received a definitive answer yet.

aeneas3 Jan 11, 2014 6:09 am

wife got her barclays yesterday will scan later.

mnscout Jan 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22130083)
Those are set up the same as Barclay's Hawaiian with Signature preferred. As it is currently, just USAA and Diner's are default Chip and PIN in the states.

Though the Wells Fargo EMV card may be different, but nobody has tested it or received a definitive answer yet.

I'll admit I don't know too much about these cards and don't own one myself. Is there a practical difference as in which method they default to? From what I understand, a card from Penfed or Andrews would still work at an unmanned ticket machine in Europe, or a tool booth. Are there situations where default Chip & Pin would make a difference/

LoneTree Jan 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 22136224)
I'll admit I don't know too much about these cards and don't own one myself. Is there a practical difference as in which method they default to? From what I understand, a card from Penfed or Andrews would still work at an unmanned ticket machine in Europe, or a tool booth. Are there situations where default Chip & Pin would make a difference/

It depends on your preference. I prefer Chip and PIN default as it provides an additional level of authentication, security, and ensures that the card never leaves your possession when paying since you have to enter your PIN. It's not like signature comparison really prevents any fraud. I'm sure merchants would love not having to do a comparison and especially would love not having to store signed receipts for several years.

However the only situation where you might get outright denied while using these US EMV cards with this set up (except perhaps USAA or Wells Fargo) is if a kiosk or POS unit insists on doing offline PIN verification. That's the problem people seem to have at the French kiosks. Some people have also said that some European merchants might refuse to process a signature transaction because they (wrongly) assume they're liable for any fraud, but I have yet to encounter this myself.

mnscout Jan 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22136271)
It depends on your preference. I prefer Chip and PIN default as it provides an additional level of authentication, security, and ensures that the card never leaves your possession when paying since you have to enter your PIN. It's not like signature comparison really prevents any fraud. I'm sure merchants would love not having to do a comparison and especially would love not having to store signed receipts for several years.

However the only situation where you might get outright denied while using these US EMV cards with this set up (except perhaps USAA or Wells Fargo) is if a kiosk or POS unit insists on doing offline PIN verification. That's the problem people seem to have at the French kiosks. Some people have also said that some European merchants might refuse to process a signature transaction because they (wrongly) assume they're liable for any fraud, but I have to encounter this myself.

Interesting nuances I had no idea about. Thanks.

LoneTree Jan 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 22139634)
Interesting nuances I had no idea about. Thanks.

Ultimately this is better than say Citi or Chase EMV cards that refuse to admit you'll ever need a PIN. If you get the card and have a chance to use it overseas let us all know! Both in this thread and the dedicated EMV thread.

Right now the big hold-up here in the US seems to be the retailers enabling their POS units. Every place around here in Madison has EMV terminals, but if you insert a chipped card it's clear the software isn't enabled yet.

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22130083)
As it is currently, just USAA and Diner's are default Chip and PIN in the states.

Make that three. Seems I forgot the United Nations Federal Credit Union also has a default Chip and PIN card.

arlflyer Jan 12, 2014 6:51 pm

So I am looking at the Hawaiian Airlines route map right now and I see Australia, NZ, Samoa, Tahiti, Korea, Japan, Taiwan. If this were a logical world, then I would think that the card issued by this airline would work in these destinations. What is the standard method of verification in these locations, and does this potentially shed any light on the situation? Seeing as to how Hawaii is well on the way to Asia/Oceania, it would not surprise me if this card was designed to have features closely aligned with what is seen there rather than just what is seen in North America.

orbit1 Jan 12, 2014 7:09 pm

With the BoA card the max miles for North America to Hawaii was 35000. Can't find anything about that in the T&C for Barclays. Anyone know? I've tweeted Barclays to ask.

ac921ol Jan 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Well, I just got approved for the business card, they denied at first and I called in a recon, got approved for 10k they mentioned a lot of my personal cards that I apped for from Sept-Dec, I mentioned I was looking at upgrading from non-prime to prime cards.

now for me to figure out how to use this companion pass to get my wife and I out from DCA/IAD to Cali to Hawaii and back to Cali.

aeneas3 Jan 14, 2014 4:21 pm

anyone know how to book using the 50% off coupon? trying to figure it out. it is already on my wife's account

aeneas3 Jan 14, 2014 4:28 pm

ok looks like it is an the form of an e certificate. it is listed on your account

CalXSPE Jan 16, 2014 1:39 am

Just got instantly approved for both my wife and I. The offer appeared when my account was signed into HA's website, but wouldn't when my wife's account was used (she has the BofA Hawaiian card), got her app through using the second link below.

Here's the landing page for the app - you don't need to go through HA's website - https://www.hawaiianairlinesbohcard....ication.action

or

https://barclaycardus.com/apply/Land...erid=PTRBAPRTL

The second link should redirect to the first one.

miles_navigator Jan 19, 2014 4:22 pm

I had no luck churning Barcalys US card

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 22104964)
I wouldn't be so sure. You could have at least two Barclays US Airways MCs open at once, both accounts opened in a ~6 month period. Done it myself and standard practice over on the threads for that card. No, not crazy churning but about as good as one can expect these days.

I am so envious you were able to churn the US Air MC and have 2 open at the same time. I had no luck and tried everything in the US Air thread. I even applied after canceling and waiting 2 months and no luck. Recon guy told me to wait at least 6 months before applying!

I applied for the HA version and got the we'll get back to you soon message. Barcalys doesn't like my credit card (churning) behavior so I will be really surprised if I can churn this card (let alone get approved for it).

However, the Chase WN app got approved online, no problem!

Did anyone else notice the original landing page says "Bank of Hawaii" on the picture of the cards. It was throwing me off a big since it is issued by Barcalys (and I had the old Bank of Hawaii HA credit card).

muji Jan 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 22141555)
So I am looking at the Hawaiian Airlines route map right now and I see Australia, NZ, Samoa...I would think that the card issued by this airline would work in these destinations.

Not sure if I am understanding you. The card will work abroad. And a foreign transaction fee would not apply.

On the topic of credit card use abroad: It's a good idea to let the bank know ahead of time that you'll be using your card abroad (and specify the date range) so that the card will not be frozen (the bank suspecting fraudulent use).

ac921ol Jan 31, 2014 8:46 pm

So I got my card. But don't have any ff number or anything. The site doesn't recognize my email or anything. When did you guys get your ff number?