Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that provide free Continental Breakfast

Old Nov 18, 13, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Hello all. I'm a longtime lurker but a first-time poster, usually because everything I've wanted to know has already been discussed in existing threads. That being said, I have a question I haven't been able to find a clear answer to.

For me, the VISA Signature and AMEX FHR deals are a great incentive to book a hotel through their websites/concierges. The benefit I'm "grappling" with is complimentary continental breakfast.

I'm a big fan of getting a free breakfast, especially at hotels, but most continental breakfasts, aside from the yogurt, are a little light on protein. The full buffets are usually more my speed, but generally, this is not covered by the complimentary continental deal, and you have to pay for it yourself. But in doing this, you waste the value of your continental breakfast deal.

In another thread, a user posted about his experience at the ARIA in Las Vegas, and indicated that he was able to convert his continental breakfast "voucher" into a credit he was able to put toward a full buffet breakfast (which is always only like $5 more).

That being said, is this typical? Has anyone else been able to put the value of their free continental breakfast towards a buffet with some meatier options?

-K
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:17 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, SPG Gold
I have a perpetual Hilton Gold status which almost everywhere gives me free Continental breakfast. Often that is not what you want in the mornings - so i have 80% of the time been able to use my credit towards a full breakfast. If it fails it is because the employees are probably too new to know how to code it.

Good luck!
Old Nov 18, 13, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

That's interesting. In the interim since my first post, I learned that AMEX negotiates with the FHR properties to generally treat "complimentary continental breakfast" as something akin to a breakfast credit that can be applied to other breakfast choices. It seems that Hilton behaves the same way. Funny that they have a co-branded Visa Signature Credit Card but (from what I can tell) don't participate in the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection.

Is that something that you ask about when booking? Or do you wait until you check out and hope for the best?

And does anyone know if this is also common or had success doing this when booking hotels through Visa Signature?

-K
Old Nov 18, 13, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Continental Breakfast Card Benefits

there are thousands of hotels at issue. some have a light continental breakfast, some have a fixed credit, and some have a full breakfast. some will allow you to upgrade for a fixed cost. there is no general answer.
Old Nov 18, 13, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyrintethron View Post
I'm a big fan of getting a free breakfast, especially at hotels, but most continental breakfasts, aside from the yogurt, are a little light on protein.
Perhaps choose your hotels a little differently? Eggs are great protein, and while hot "mysterious semi-eggs" are dubious at most low-to-mid-end hotels that include them in their free breakfast, several hotel brands have hard-bioled eggs, which are impossible to take. These include Comfort Inn/Comfort Suites (Choice) and Holiday Inn Express (IHG).
Old Nov 19, 13, 11:35 am

I have HHonors gold status and every hotel I have been to with a full-service restaurant (Hilton & Doubletree) has given me a full breakfast buffet, including hot items (though you normally have to order some items, such as pancakes or french toast, from your server).
Old Nov 19, 13, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
there are thousands of hotels at issue. some have a light continental breakfast, some have a fixed credit, and some have a full breakfast. some will allow you to upgrade for a fixed cost. there is no general answer.
I suppose my question was more in reference to first scenario, where the deal says "complimentary continental breakfast", and I was wondering about instances where you've been able to either get a full breakfast anyway or put the value of the continental breakfast towards a full one.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps choose your hotels a little differently? Eggs are great protein, and while hot "mysterious semi-eggs" are dubious at most low-to-mid-end hotels that include them in their free breakfast, several hotel brands have hard-bioled eggs, which are impossible to take. These include Comfort Inn/Comfort Suites (Choice) and Holiday Inn Express (IHG).
I suppose my euphemistic regard to protein was too vague. I should've said that I prefer a full buffet to a continental one.

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I have HHonors gold status and every hotel I have been to with a full-service restaurant (Hilton & Doubletree) has given me a full breakfast buffet, including hot items (though you normally have to order some items, such as pancakes or french toast, from your server).
Seems Hilton is nice and lenient. Is this something that you ask about beforehand (at booking? at check-in?), or just "charge" it to your room, and hope for the best at checkout?

-K
Old Nov 19, 13, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

yes. it has happened on occasions at certain properties. at others, not.
Hiltons vary. some do, some don't. in fact, on the Hilton forum there are entire threads devoted to exactly what the "continental breakfast" includes at different properties. sometimes you can upgrade, sometimes you can't.
sometimes the free breakfast is a full buffet with omelet station, in which case no upgrade would be necessary
I'm just not sure what you are looking for here. every property is different. if you are considering a specific property, look at that property's thread, and breakfast may very well be covered there.
if a hot breakfast is very important to you, check out Embassy Suites
Old Nov 19, 13, 4:58 pm

Also, if you insist on not doing research about a property, usually at check-in, you are told what the breakfast amenity is. I f you do not like it and want something else, you can ask. If it is a restaurant breakfast, you can ask the host/hostess or server. just helping yourself to a more expensive breakfast and "hoping" you will get some credit is unnecessary drama for both you and the hotel.
Old Nov 19, 13, 5:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
using FHR and Chase luxury hotel collection at La Quinta Resort and Spa gives full breakfast, the benefit states continental breakfast but the front desk at checking in has always told us to charge breakfast to the room and it wil be waived at check out, we have done this many times and included bloody mary's with the bill topping 90 and it has always been waived. It is very property dependent
Old Nov 19, 13, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Folks, the question posed by kyrintethron was specifically related to the breakfast benefit offered as a credit card benefit by Visa and Amex cardholder programs.

In the interest of keeping all of those experiences in a centralized place, I'm going to close this thread and refer everyone to three existing recent threads on these programs:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...periences.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...as-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...q4-2010-a.html

kyrintethron, if you still have questions or have experiences to share, please post directly in the appropriate thread. Then everyone searching in the future will have an easy place to find the answers. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: