Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:21 pm

On a whim tonight I remembered this product existed. Website now says shipping Spring 2015
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
On a whim tonight I remembered this product existed. Website now says shipping Spring 2015
So basically, never, all they've done is delay it until there's a mass of EMV cards and terminals so they can say "oops, we took all your money but the card companies changed their products so ours won't work"
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alexmt
So basically, never, all they've done is delay it until there's a mass of EMV cards and terminals so they can say "oops, we took all your money but the card companies changed their products so ours won't work"
But chip and signature cards will still work according to them!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Total nonsense. Their claim, not you. They're being idiots.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Total nonsense. Their claim, not you. They're being idiots.
Yep. We're coming up on one year remaining before the liability shift and at best their obsolete device will work with only one or two of my cards. It's not going to be the space saving tool they claimed. I'll let you all know how the refund process goes.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:11 pm

Yep. We're coming up on one year remaining before the liability shift and at best their obsolete device will work with only one or two of my cards. It's not going to be the space saving tool they claimed. I'll let you all know how the refund process goes.
I cancelled my Capital One credit card, leaving me with a Capital One debit and a Discover credit as my non-EMV cards. Will they both be magstripe by next spring even?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cancelled my Capital One credit card, leaving me with a Capital One debit and a Discover credit as my non-EMV cards. Will they both be magstripe by next spring even?
Discover probably won't be, but I can see Capital One putting it off until the very last second. Which is weird because Capital One is pretty sketchy, so you'd think they'd do everything they could to make customers liable (by, say, reissuing all their cards as PIN only and using "knowledge" of the PIN as basis to deny claims).

I took a look at my wallet and the only non-debit cards that aren't chipped are my Chase Freedom (expires next year, so it'll be chipped then) and my Discover card. My BoA and Chase debit cards are chipless but I feel like those will also be chipped by the time they're up for renewal in a few years.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:51 am

Discover probably won't be, but I can see Capital One putting it off until the very last second. Which is weird because Capital One is pretty sketchy, so you'd think they'd do everything they could to make customers liable (by, say, reissuing all their cards as PIN only and using "knowledge" of the PIN as basis to deny claims).

I took a look at my wallet and the only non-debit cards that aren't chipped are my Chase Freedom (expires next year, so it'll be chipped then) and my Discover card. My BoA and Chase debit cards are chipless but I feel like those will also be chipped by the time they're up for renewal in a few years.
I never once felt Capital One to be sketchy, at all. They were just the least useful card I had, so they went away. But their customer service is great, they handled disputes well, etc.

Also, while they could pull that PIN knowledge crap up to $50 legally, market pressures would stop them from doing so. If they do issue a true chip & PIN I'll regret closing my account, but we'll see what happens. Maybe it'll have been long enough that I'll be able to get a sign up bonus again and do the venture.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except how many chip and signture cards are there anyway???

What I mean is, how many cards are their where the whole method list consists of nothing but chip and signature and swipe? (Ie, don't many of them have chip & online PIN somewhere in the list?)

And wouldn't Coin need to implement the whole list, not just one method on the list???
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except how many chip and signture cards are there anyway???

What I mean is, how many cards are their where the whole method list consists of nothing but chip and signature and swipe? (Ie, don't many of them have chip & online PIN somewhere in the list?)

And wouldn't Coin need to implement the whole list, not just one method on the list???
Offhand, Chase and Citi cards are signature and no CVM only for purchases. Besides, Coin doesn't even have a chip on it, hence everyone saying chip cards won't work.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sotorrific
I ordered one of these ($35), and used it last night for the first time. It was awesome! The cashier at Nordstrom kept saying, "I don't think our system can do that," and when I pressed the button and my credit card info popped up on her POS, she couldn't believe how cool it was.

Great product, only downside is the lack of switching cards on the device itself (have to plug into the phone to change the default card), and the fact that it doesn't look like a card so cashiers are a little confused by it. However, Loop also makes a phone case with the technology built-in, which might be a little easier for people to understand since people pay with their phones more often than with a little square device!

You can check it out here: http://www.looppay.com/
Ahh.. I didn't know that you can't switch cards on the fly! I thought you can just press the button and jump between the cards you saved on it... Damn, deal breaker.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by snackboxes
Ahh.. I didn't know that you can't switch cards on the fly! I thought you can just press the button and jump between the cards you saved on it... Damn, deal breaker.
You can do that, there's a toggle on the card that allows you to cycle through eight cards. Coin was also $50 on the pre order, not $35, so it sounds like this person is talking about something else.

Chip and sig cards have magnetic stripes, so I think that's why they'll still work with coin. The US will still be accepting Mag stripe cards after 2015 because of the transition to EMV. It's not going to happen overnight. Wouldn't shock me at all if swiped cards are still accepted well into 2016 and beyond.

As for the person that said not shipping until spring 2015, that's also not true if you pre ordered a while ago. Anyone who preordered is getting an email this week and cards should start shipping the first week of September. New orders it's spring, but I'm expecting mine soon, fwiw.

Last edited by Bigserver1; Aug 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bigserver1
You can do that, there's a toggle on the card that allows you to cycle through eight cards. Coin was also $50 on the pre order, not $35, so it sounds like this person is talking about something else.

Chip and sig cards have magnetic stripes, so I think that's why they'll still work with coin. The US will still be accepting Mag stripe cards after 2015 because of the transition to EMV. It's not going to happen overnight. Wouldn't shock me at all if swiped cards are still accepted well into 2016 and beyond.

As for the person that said not shipping until spring 2015, that's also not true if you pre ordered a while ago. Anyone who preordered is getting an email this week and cards should start shipping the first week of September. New orders it's spring, but I'm expecting mine soon, fwiw.
IIRC the Coin app should be on the App Store shortly (and on Play a month later). The app will tell you when yours will ship.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:41 pm

IIRC the Coin app should be on the App Store shortly (and on Play a month later). The app will tell you when yours will ship.
That's correct. They're sending emails tomorrow to get info on where and who to send it to, the iOS app drops next week, and then they ship in the order the preorders were received. I preordered mine last November (because I'm a sucker), so I'm hopefully pretty far up in line.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bigserver1
Chip and PIN cards have stripes too, ya know? You can't use the stripe at a chip-enabled terminal. Sure there's places it'll work by the end of next year, but they won't be ubiquitous by any means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.