Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Need help - should I cancel my current credit cards first or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to build United Miles.

I have 3 Chase credit cards that I got one year ago for miles. They all have annual fees that get charged next month. So, I was getting ready to cancel all three.

I am getting ready to apply for (2) United credit cards (offered by Chase) with the 50,000 point bonuses - (1) personal card and (1) business card. Hoping to get both for a total of 100,000 miles.

My question: should I go ahead and cancel the (3) current chase cards BEFORE applying for the (2) new United cards? Would it help my chances of being approved because it would "free up" those credit limits and reduce the number of Chase cards I already have? Or would it actually HURT my chances of getting approved for the new cards?

I have no clue which way would be best. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP

you should apply first. if one card rejected you can call in and they may give you the option to cancel a current one for the new one.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:32 pm

I recommend applying first. If denied, you can call the reconsideration line and offer to move the current credit line to the new card and then cancel. If approved, you can still move the current credit to a new card before cancelling.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:55 pm
In memoriam

OP, it is unclear from your post if you already got a UA card. If so, you almost certainly will not get a second bonus.

This also applies to Chase Sapphire Preferred. No second bonus.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

No, the 3 I have are not United Cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.