FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Navy FCU Flagship Rewards: 60k (=$600) after $3k in 90 days [now 40k; see post #108] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1508080-navy-fcu-flagship-rewards-60k-600-after-3k-90-days-now-40k-see-post-108-a.html)

MDtR-Chicago Oct 1, 2013 10:13 pm

Navy FCU Flagship Rewards: 50k (=$500) after $4k in 90 days; AF waived first year

See wiki for latest offer.

The best public offer is currently 40k points. See post #108. Occasionally, existing credit union members have also been personally targeted for 60k.

Happened to see this on myfico: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...K/td-p/2484437

See this landing page: https://www.navyfederal.org/products...s/flagship.php

The offer is 60k points after $3000 spend within 90 days. $49 annual fee waived first year. The points are apparently worth 1 cent/$ for travel redemptions and the card returns 2 pt/$.

To redeem your travel points for an airline ticket, you can do any of the following:

- Sign on to Account Access, click on your Visa SignatureŽ Flagship Rewards credit card account and follow the instructions.
- Buy the ticket on your own using your Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card, then send an e-message to us through Account Access or call 1-888-842-6328 to be reimbursed from your points.

- You do not have to have enough points at the time of purchase, but the total amount of points are required at the time of reimbursement
- You should wait for the transaction to post before contacting us for reimbursement
Obviously, you have to be a member of the credit union to join. Essentially, you must work for the US military or DoD, or be a family member of someone who does [including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members]

Don't really know anything about this program but $600 and 2 pt/$ is certainly interesting. Anyone a member or want to take the time to look into it?

Jesperss Oct 1, 2013 11:46 pm

Interesting

tjguitar85 Oct 2, 2013 12:02 am

You can see more info about the value of the points here:

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/cred...p_brochure.pdf

The 60k points is good for $600 towards an air ticket, or $450 cashback.

gofarhaveacigar Oct 2, 2013 5:25 am

I applied and got the following:

Your credit card application has been submitted and is being reviewed. The normal processing time for a credit card application is 3-5 business days.

Anyone know of a # to call for reconsideration/credit analyst? I have another NFCU card already which has a ~$7000 balance at 0% (thanks to their promo from last March), but that is only ~30% utilization for the credit limit.

doss1 Oct 2, 2013 5:57 am

This card LOOKS pretty good ($600 in travel?). Also, it's like PenFed in where you have to be eligible to apply (DoD, Military, etc). Has anyone successfully signed up?

x712xdamx Oct 2, 2013 9:50 am

Bummer. Tried to join the Credit Union but I would've had to lie and say I was a member of the military/army, etc... Crosses my line.

doss1 Oct 2, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx (Post 21541349)
Bummer. Tried to join the Credit Union but I would've had to lie and say I was a member of the military/army, etc... Crosses my line.

I wonder if you could get in via the backdoor ala Penfed where you just need to donate like $10 to the Red Cross organization to be eligible.

isle-hawg Oct 2, 2013 2:42 pm

I was not planning on any more apps for awhile, but this offer was too good to turn down. Not as good as the CAP 1 a few years ago that gave $1K but $600 in travel is a good deal any way you look at it.

I was not instantly approved, received the message to allow 3-5 days for processing. I am sure it will be approved though, I have been with NFCU for over 30 years.

EDIT: Received text message today saying I was approved.

MDtR-Chicago Oct 2, 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by doss1 (Post 21542011)
I wonder if you could get in via the backdoor ala Penfed where you just need to donate like $10 to the Red Cross organization to be eligible.

Unfortunately, everything I've read says they are pretty strict to only allow people who meet the eligibility criteria and do audit - someone reported being locked out of accounts until the relationship was documented.

The easiest way to qualify seems to be to have a parent/grandparent who retired from the military with a pension. As long as that person is willing to provide documentation if necessary, it seems they will take an application over the phone to join.

I'm going to pass but it seems like a great offer for those who qualify.

isle-hawg Oct 2, 2013 5:38 pm

Unless their is a new rule that I am unaware of the only way to join NFCU is to be an active member of one of the armed services, DoD employee or retired from same. Once you are a member the rules allow members to invite family to also become members.

aarif1 Oct 2, 2013 7:36 pm

My dad retired from the VA, I'm guessing that's not good enough. Can anyone confirm?

tjguitar85 Oct 2, 2013 11:21 pm

I got the 3-5 day message but was approved a few hours later.

wagon297 Oct 3, 2013 7:06 am

just got approved for me and wife.........sweet....

compddd Oct 3, 2013 10:20 am

Can I join if my Dad was in the Navy for 4 years?

ddallas Oct 3, 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 21543515)
Unfortunately, everything I've read says they are pretty strict to only allow people who meet the eligibility criteria and do audit - someone reported being locked out of accounts until the relationship was documented.

The easiest way to qualify seems to be to have a parent/grandparent who retired from the military with a pension. As long as that person is willing to provide documentation if necessary, it seems they will take an application over the phone to join.

I'm going to pass but it seems like a great offer for those who qualify.

+1
There have been big threads in the past on myfico.com and creditboards.com on eligibility to join NFCU. Just go to those forums and search. Lots of info on others experiences trying to qualify.