Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Acxiom: an opportunity to see some of the data used to target USA credit card offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acxiom: an opportunity to see some of the data used to target USA credit card offers.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:37 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Arrow Acxiom: an opportunity to see some of the data used to target USA credit card offers.

The site is here: https://aboutthedata.com/

But first, suggest reading this article for background:

A Data Broker Offers a Peek Behind the Curtain

The Acxiom Corporation, a marketing technology company that has amassed details on the household makeup, financial means, shopping preferences and leisure pursuits of a majority of adults in the United States..ia free Web site where United States consumers can view some of the information the company has collected about them,...The data on the site, called AbouttheData.com, includes biographical facts, like education level, marital status and number of children in a household; homeownership status, including mortgage amount and property size; vehicle details, like the make, model and year; and economic data, like whether a household member is an active investor with a portfolio greater than $150,000. Also available will be the consumer’s recent purchase categories, like plus-size clothing or sports products; and household interests like golf, dogs, text-messaging, cholesterol-related products or charities.

A credit card issuer, for instance, could ask Acxiom to help aim a campaign for elite-level cards with concierge services at people above a certain income who live in certain suburbs or drive luxury cars....
If you are interested, don't delay. It is frighteningly easy to gain access to your account, and I could easily see Acxiom deciding to take it down to tighten security. In my case much of the information is not quite accurate, but the overall picture would be close enough for many purposes.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:26 am

Not even close on me. DOB wrong, Income way wrong, etc. Seems like it's a good 10 years off in many regards and just wrong information in general. At least for me. They're getting a lot of their data from shoppers survey. They don't even have 2 of my cars listed. Seems like they're looking to get people to update their information so they can sell it. As they state their a Data Broker.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Found this interesting.

The site couldn't authenticate me and wanted me to send them a copy of my DL, utility bill etc.. Who has the time for that. I will pass. Will be interesting to know what other folks see info about themselves.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rambo
Found this interesting.

The site couldn't authenticate me and wanted me to send them a copy of my DL, utility bill etc.. Who has the time for that. I will pass. Will be interesting to know what other folks see info about themselves.

It's because the CIA erased your record, rambo.

I'm curious how they knew I was a parent... I guess I should pay attention more to those "random surveys"... or Target is paying attention that I'm buying diapers...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The site is here: https://aboutthedata.com/

But first, suggest reading this article for background:

A Data Broker Offers a Peek Behind the Curtain

If you are interested, don't delay. It is frighteningly easy to gain access to your account, and I could easily see Acxiom deciding to take it down to tighten security. In my case much of the information is not quite accurate, but the overall picture would be close enough for many purposes.
Don't you worry! They put it up so that you help them do what they get paid to do by their clients -- get relevant information about you. Judging by the wealth of inaccurate information in my file, I'd say, they have their work cut out for them, too. In the very least, the publicity generated by their "openness" will help them correct the key demographical information and harvest tens of thousands email addresses, but it's much more than that. I can easily see thousands of people diligently supplying them with their key interests as well, in order to receive more targeted spam and junk mail. Quite a savvy marketing ploy, I'd say.

Man, there are times when I wish I weren't so cynical, and then this happens.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Funny - I go to the opt-out page and it looks like a crappy Geocities website. I'm thinking, why?

Oh. It's because Ghostery blocks Acxiom.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: All of em...
Anybody worried about security in signing up/in to update all your info?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Yes. Perhaps I'm a touch paranoid but I don't give out my DOB or any part of SSN unless I am sure a site is trusted. McAfee's siteadvisor.com hasn't even checked this site. That usually means the site is small, new, or evil. Of course small or new are more likely but I prefer not to take chances.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:13 am

interesting for sure.
went thru and checked the do not use this for marketing for everything in the personal side of things. not doing every one
now time to opt out.

i want cc offers but I would rather have this info not be on this site.

it was inaccurate of course
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Absolutely. I have worked with Axciom in the past and this is a good marketing ploy on their behalf. Much of the information they have now is based on very small samples and then inferred across a broad population which is why you see so much inaccuracy, anything they can do to increase the accuracy is important to their customers. Its especially important in financial services where there are very specific regulations on equal treatment for protected classes, and if you cant verify the information on your customers, your company could be at risk for fines or worse so having upto date information is critical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.