Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Been pushing high 5 figures a month into WF.

I think people get shutdown bc they don't go in the branch and are transparent.

I think when you go atm or drive thru and avoid talking to them...they get suspicious. I just straight up go in branch and tell them whats up.

Been going good for a few months so far.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by k_smith29
Well, again, it's a risk/reward question. I know for a fact that there have been people shut down for doing exactly what you stated. Not from a cc perspective but from the checking account perspective. Too much money going in and out of that account is never a good thing, especially if your account and overall relationship with them is fairly new. As strange as it may sound, but from what I've gathered so far, folks are more likely to get shut down because of overactivity on their WF checking account than overactivity on their cc. But shutdown in one often triggers shutdown of all your WF relationships (except mortgage - it's not like they can call your mortgage sooner)...
Wife and I were doing >100k a month each when we had this card and all payments were through our respective WF checking accts which were opened a few weeks before opening 5% card. Enjoy the slow n steady, but once 6 months is over...think about what you could have done that you left on the table
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:51 pm

No offense but I would argue you were lucky. I know plenty of folks who got shut down doing exactly that. I do some at WF but I would never do that much into an account of a bank whose credit card I'm churning. I'm still doing plenty of volume and have no complaints..... I'm getting about $13k in rewards net each month, so go figure how much that is in volume....
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:38 pm

folks, please stop showing off. The last thing this thread needs is letting people blindly follow you and get shutdown and points confiscated. Spend your energy figuring out how to make this last or new ways to extend your hobby.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:34 am

No offense but I would argue you were lucky. I know plenty of folks who got shut down doing exactly that. I do some at WF but I would never do that much into an account of a bank whose credit card I'm churning. I'm still doing plenty of volume and have no complaints..... I'm getting about $13k in rewards net each month, so go figure how much that is in volume....
There is no way your doing that much on 1 card. 2, maybe.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:39 pm

Nope, it's on one card and I'm not showing off, just explaining what I consider safe (and have done myself) and what I wouldn't do.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:04 pm

Nope, it's on one card and I'm not showing off, just explaining what I consider safe (and have done myself) and what I wouldn't do.
Sigh. I'm clawing my way into 4-digit rewards and can't seem to find an avenue beyond my three letter drugstore to fill my prescriptions. I'm guessing you have grocers that allow CC purchases for as many as you want or is there a national retailer I missed in the thread? Wallg33ns and every grocer in the area are cash/debit only for VGC and we all know about limits at the place I'm getting them. How do I get around this issue? Suggestions welcome!

Last edited by cbender49; Jun 23, 2015 at 9:06 pm Reason: Edited for substance
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:22 pm

grocery stores (it's all local, now), gas stations that sell gc's, and some drug stores. Some WM's, for example, let you buy with cc and post as grocery stores, others don't. Don't ask me why, just noticed it when doing trial and error.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:56 pm

Walmart and target stores that sell grocery post as 5X....Kroger takes CC and there is a thread about grocery stores that sell $500 giftcards for credit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
Walmart and target stores that sell grocery post as 5X....Kroger takes CC and there is a thread about grocery stores that sell $500 giftcards for credit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html
Not even close to true since some WM's do, but some of them do not give 5x. My closest one is a SWM with full grocery section and did not give 5x. Tread lightly until you have personally tested each WM in your area. Target is the same, some do and some do not
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:40 pm

re

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Not even close to true since some WM's do, but some of them do not give 5x. My closest one is a SWM with full grocery section and did not give 5x. Tread lightly until you have personally tested each WM in your area. Target is the same, some do and some do not
This might not be true for your particular store, though I don't see why. I did a small test purchase at both target and wallyworld to make sure it coded as grocery. In my area, multiple stores for both chains give 5X.
In many cases it is dependant on the card issuer (ie. Amex, Chase, Citi) on how it codes certain stores. What is grocery to one might not be to another. I assumed since our WF card codes the stores in my area that they consider them grocery everywhere....have you tried Target or other Walmarts in your area? if not how can you say "not even close to true"
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
This might not be true for your particular store, though I don't see why. I did a small test purchase at both target and wallyworld to make sure it coded as grocery. In my area, multiple stores for both chains give 5X.
In many cases it is dependant on the card issuer (ie. Amex, Chase, Citi) on how it codes certain stores. What is grocery to one might not be to another. I assumed since our WF card codes the stores in my area that they consider them grocery everywhere....have you tried Target or other Walmarts in your area? if not how can you say "not even close to true"
Simple...you made a blanket statement saying that if they sell groceries then they will be coded as grocery, thus earning 5x. It is not even close to true. There are many reports of people not getting 5x on WM and T purchases over the past couple years. Not with just WF either, but back in the 5x TY days...it coded as grocery, but the purchases did not earn 5x. Just letting people know that they should perform their own due diligence before dumping a bunch at these stores without knowing for sure if they will pay 5x.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:21 pm

Agree that you need to try yourself. As I said, it's trial and error. Haven't figured out if there is any reason behind it. Trial and error is how I found most opportunities
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
Hi friends,

i just got this card two month ago and have accumulated almost 40k points. in the welcome material, it says that i can redeem for flight tickets at 1.5 cents/point rate. however, i haven't been to find how to actually do that? anyone has any clue?

is buying flight ticket the best value redemption method?

thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:19 pm

It may be the best value redemption method, but I've never done it to be honest. I'm not sure how far WF would go to claw back rewards, so I redeem my points in the way in which I think they could least likely take them back. But that is just me. I've heard of two cases so far where WF had clawed back rewards already earned and redeemed. Two out of dozens ain't much, but it's not zero either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.