Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by michael160
This might work for small MSing. Churning CL means having to go into the branch multiple times a week to pay off the CC with MOs. That's a recipe for disaster, as most "normal" people aren't paying off their CC that frequently and will invite questions and scrutiny. As many have mentioned before, although we are doing nothing wrong, inviting more eyes to your account(s) increases the risk of being shut down.
I've had no problem running well over 6 figures / month of MOs through my account. If anything, just depositing it is less suspicious since the tellers have no idea how you then spend it. I can always say I've been paid rent, or just returned from an unsuccessful real estate auction.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Apr 30, 2015 at 11:03 am
Old May 1, 2015, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Interesting. Well I guess as long as they do in fact issue Platinum cards then there is hope. Did you have an existing relationship with WF? and if i did have to open a checking account to establish a relationship with WF i wonder how long the checking account would have to be open before they would approve a credit card?
I had the chequing account for maybe a few days before applying. It was actually declined for no relationship so I had to ring in and the woman said because the account hadn't been funded the system skipped over it. She did put in the request for the underwriting team to have another look and that worked. So, I'd wait one or two weeks maybe before applying if you don't want to have to ring in, but it's not needed.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:08 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Just got approved for WF Cash Back with 5k CL. Waiting for card to arrive in the mail to start hitting the 5%.

Planning on mostly buying VGC's at CVS/Walgreens and mix in a little grocery store when I'm out of town (I would do more grocery store but there aren't any in my area that sell $500 GC's). Then buy MO's with the VGC's.

When you guys go to WF branch with MO's do you usually ask to pay CC bill directly with the MO's or do you simply ask to deposit them into checking account and then go home and pay off CC?

And if you deposit them into checking account are the funds available to pay CC bill immediately?

Also, what about depositing MO's at WF ATM? Would that clear the checking account immediately or would it be slower than handing them to teller?

Ever get any questions/remarks from the tellers about why so many MO's and where they are coming from? I have 7 WF branches within 7-8 mile radius of my house so I'm hoping if I spread my visits across all of them hopefully no one teller will see me often enough to scrutinize me.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Just got approved for WF Cash Back with 5k CL. Waiting for card to arrive in the mail to start hitting the 5%.

Planning on mostly buying VGC's at CVS/Walgreens and mix in a little grocery store when I'm out of town (I would do more grocery store but there aren't any in my area that sell $500 GC's). Then buy MO's with the VGC's.

When you guys go to WF branch with MO's do you usually ask to pay CC bill directly with the MO's or do you simply ask to deposit them into checking account and then go home and pay off CC?

And if you deposit them into checking account are the funds available to pay CC bill immediately?

Also, what about depositing MO's at WF ATM? Would that clear the checking account immediately or would it be slower than handing them to teller?

Ever get any questions/remarks from the tellers about why so many MO's and where they are coming from? I have 7 WF branches within 7-8 mile radius of my house so I'm hoping if I spread my visits across all of them hopefully no one teller will see me often enough to scrutinize me.
They clear next business day. So your not going to walk into a branch and deposit them and then pay same day. You could pay the cc with money orders direct.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Closed Checking

I got a note on my account today about half way through an MS run:

Use of account ending in #### is temporarily restricted. Please call us at 1-800-723-5533

I called into the CC Fraud Department. I had verified transactions with them earlier in the day and did it again when I got a call from the automated line. They reviewed the account and said the issue was with checking account and transferred me to another department.

I was informed that my checking account was being closed and that a letter was issued to me. The funds in that account will be refunded to me via cashier's check. I asked if I could pick up the check at a WF branch but she said I'd have to call tomorrow to determine that. She would provide no reason for the closure.

There are a few things that are unclear to me at this point. I'm not certain if my WF CC is closed as well. She could not address that question and Fraud didn't say anything.

I'm unclear if I can bill pay the existing funds to my WF CC. Transfers are definitely shut down but it will allow bill pay still. I'l likely make the attempt.

Just as a data point I've been using the WF hard for approximately 6 weeks. I uses a variety of funding methods including external transfers to checking and teller deposits to checking. I push billpay to the CC regularly and transfer from checking to CC as my normal means to pay the CC balance.

If anyone has any experience with a checking shut down I'm all ears.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I got a note on my account today about half way through an MS run:

Use of account ending in #### is temporarily restricted. Please call us at 1-800-723-5533

I called into the CC Fraud Department. I had verified transactions with them earlier in the day and did it again when I got a call from the automated line. They reviewed the account and said the issue was with checking account and transferred me to another department.

I was informed that my checking account was being closed and that a letter was issued to me. The funds in that account will be refunded to me via cashier's check. I asked if I could pick up the check at a WF branch but she said I'd have to call tomorrow to determine that. She would provide no reason for the closure.

There are a few things that are unclear to me at this point. I'm not certain if my WF CC is closed as well. She could not address that question and Fraud didn't say anything.

I'm unclear if I can bill pay the existing funds to my WF CC. Transfers are definitely shut down but it will allow bill pay still. I'l likely make the attempt.

Just as a data point I've been using the WF hard for approximately 6 weeks. I uses a variety of funding methods including external transfers to checking and teller deposits to checking. I push billpay to the CC regularly and transfer from checking to CC as my normal means to pay the CC balance.

If anyone has any experience with a checking shut down I'm all ears.
This is disconcerting. My behavior is very similar to yours with the exception I don't do deposits at a branch.

Did you push money into your WF checking account or did you pull money into it?
Could you describe the amounts and frequency of pulls/pushes/transfers.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx
This is disconcerting. My behavior is very similar to yours with the exception I don't do deposits at a branch.

Did you push money into your WF checking account or did you pull money into it?
Could you describe the amounts and frequency of pulls/pushes/transfers.

I have multiple bank accounts. I did have one non-WF that was quick about pushing money to WF checking and used that up to it's monthly 30k limit.

If I had to guess, I'd say I got the second look for MO deposits to checking via bank teller. Same girl each time and she did ask questions. I would drop 10-12k weekly in MO and one deposit per week as the branch was not close.

The majority of payments were bill pay pushed from a bank to WF CC. I did follow each of these up with faxes to the High Dollar desk showing they'd cleared so they would release the payment holds.

WF web says my CC is restricted but it's unclear if it is a checking closure only or checking and CC.

I've never overpaid my account to a credit balance. I did exceed the revolving limit on the card very recently when an agent deleted an authorization by mistake (I think) but paid it immediately.

Hope that helps and I'll update when I know more.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:23 am

I have multiple bank accounts. I did have one non-WF that was quick about pushing money to WF checking and used that up to it's monthly 30k limit.

If I had to guess, I'd say I got the second look for MO deposits to checking via bank teller. Same girl each time and she did ask questions. I would drop 10-12k weekly in MO and one deposit per week as the branch was not close.

The majority of payments were bill pay pushed from a bank to WF CC. I did follow each of these up with faxes to the High Dollar desk showing they'd cleared so they would release the payment holds.

WF web says my CC is restricted but it's unclear if it is a checking closure only or checking and CC.

I've never overpaid my account to a credit balance. I did exceed the revolving limit on the card very recently when an agent deleted an authorization by mistake (I think) but paid it immediately.

Hope that helps and I'll update when I know more.
Sounds like a classic case of pooping where you eat, which is never recommended as you will eventually end up with ecoli
Old May 13, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Sounds like a classic case of pooping where you eat, which is never recommended as you will eventually end up with ecoli
Perhaps. I really don't know as they've not supplied a reason for closure. They may in response to the regulatory complaint. You can see others reporting depositing large MO with no issues though some directly apply them to their CC where I opted for deposit to checking for flexibility.

At this juncture I'm just hoping they leave the CC open and only close checking. It will slow me down a bit but I can deal with that.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:38 pm

Just following up.

Account closure was checking only. Credit card is still alive.

Offhand does anyone know how long it takes a payment made at a WF ATM to become available on the credit card?
Old May 14, 2015, 12:58 pm

I'm one of the recent OBC casualties.

Been following this thread closely as I knew my day would come. Anyway, I don't have a WF branch within an hour's drive. Still worth it, and what's the best route to move forward if I have zero relationship with WF? Thanks.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:01 pm

Just following up.

Account closure was checking only. Credit card is still alive.

Offhand does anyone know how long it takes a payment made at a WF ATM to become available on the credit card?
Give it time. The credit card people may not have gotten to you yet...
Old May 14, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: "You are now known as the Lebron James of DYKWIA/Delta/FT" -Thoiboi
Originally Posted by exarkun
Give it time. The credit card people may not have gotten to you yet...
Correct, your credit card will close about 20 days after your checking account gets limited.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:38 pm

I've noticed my credit line is immediately available following initiating payment from WF checking, even though the payment doesn't eliminate the balance until the following day - is it safe to go out and begin using it the same day the payment is made or have others noticed issues with this?

Forgive me for not checking all 100+ pages and searching the thread returned a ton of results. TIA
Old May 14, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by cbender49
I've noticed my credit line is immediately available following initiating payment from WF checking, even though the payment doesn't eliminate the balance until the following day - is it safe to go out and begin using it the same day the payment is made or have others noticed issues with this?

Forgive me for not checking all 100+ pages and searching the thread returned a ton of results. TIA
Wife and I cycled our immediately after credit cleared from payment, before actual payment posting. We cycled our CL's about 3x/week, Typically a quick call to automated line would clear FA, which we would get about every 4th or 5th purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.