Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MountainManDuy
Nope I have not closed it. However, I have not used that card for sometime. They said they will cancel it if I do not reply to them this June.
Did they say you'd then be eligible for the 5%?

My wife and I are in the same boat. We have cards from college (first card ever) with a $500-$1k credit limit that haven't been touched for a few years. I'd love the 5%, but not going to risk closing the card if you can't get the reward for it...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:35 pm

Honestly, I signed up for the cc on the WF site. It said on the website 5%, but at the same time in the terms and conditions it did say that if you have a wells fargo card you may not be eligible for rewards or something to that extent. I have escalated this manner with their rewards team, but it does not seem promising.

Originally Posted by captaincool
Did they say you'd then be eligible for the 5%?

My wife and I are in the same boat. We have cards from college (first card ever) with a $500-$1k credit limit that haven't been touched for a few years. I'd love the 5%, but not going to risk closing the card if you can't get the reward for it...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:02 pm

approved instantly, 20k cl, have been WF customer 35 years, had mortgage, etc.

I called before I applied to double check I did not previously have a WF cc. It seems not, but I do remember some kind of rewards points in my account for a while, don't remember why, hope it is not an issue.

Will report on how 5% goes.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:16 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Anyone know if you can be approved for the WF Cash Back card if they are not willing to extend $5,000+ of credit (i.e. will they issue a Visa Platinum instead of a Visa Signature if they won't extend $5,000)? My highest limit on any card is $4,000 so I doubt I would be approved for Visa Signature.

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Anyone know if you can be approved for the WF Cash Back card if they are not willing to extend $5,000+ of credit (i.e. will they issue a Visa Platinum instead of a Visa Signature if they won't extend $5,000)? My highest limit on any card is $4,000 so I doubt I would be approved for Visa Signature.

Thanks
I believe $5K is the minimum credit line any Visa Signature card can be approved for (at least that is what a Chase rep told me once). I got the WF card recently with a <5K CL and was shipped the Platinum card.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:38 am
formerly mattrendell27

anyone know if you have to have a checking account with WF before applying (or if having one increases chances of approval)? I noticed it said online that since I don't have a checking/savings account with WF I would have to apply in branch.

also, seems to be lots of contradicting opinions, but is it possible to churn the CL repeatedly throughout the statement period? i.e. if I'm given $2,000 CL for example can I charge close to $2000, pay off, wait for CL to come back up, charge close to 2000 again, pay off etc.)? thinking of paying off by MO's either handed directly to teller to pay CC bill or added to WF checking account and then to pay bill online (if I need to open a WF checking account).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: All of them
anyone know if you have to have a checking account with WF before applying (or if having one increases chances of approval)? I noticed it said online that since I don't have a checking/savings account with WF I would have to apply in branch.

also, seems to be lots of contradicting opinions, but is it possible to churn the CL repeatedly throughout the statement period? i.e. if I'm given $2,000 CL for example can I charge close to $2000, pay off, wait for CL to come back up, charge close to 2000 again, pay off etc.)? thinking of paying off by MO's either handed directly to teller to pay CC bill or added to WF checking account and then to pay bill online (if I need to open a WF checking account).

Yes to 2nd question, and highly recommended for 1st, especially if you want to recycle the CL as quickly as possible, since payments from within a WF check acct post instantly.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:04 am

After my second ACH transfer into my new WF checking account I notice it's limited to $6K in bank-to-bank transfers every 30 days. Does anyone know if initiating the transfer from another bank and pushing the money to WF checking will circumvent that limit? I don't live near a WF branch, so ACH is the only way to get the funds into the account quickly. Maybe I could mail a check, but that sounds like it would take forever...

The mobile app is also limited to $2,500 daily and $5K monthly deposits and seems to have it's own suite of problems when trying to actually use it.

Any thoughts from the group?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:38 am
formerly mattrendell27

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Yes to 2nd question, and highly recommended for 1st, especially if you want to recycle the CL as quickly as possible, since payments from within a WF check acct post instantly.

Okay. Seems like many so people have said that their CL has been held up for days/weeks when they submit payments. Does this only apply to external payments? Would payments from a WF checking account free up the available CL instantly?

Also, what about this 6k bank to bank transfer limit every 30 days that's mentioned here. What does that apply to and how would that affect MSing on this card?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:55 am

Thanks
I was approved for 10,000 and still got a Platinum card. So unlike Citi and the rest, they have special criteria for you to meet to get a Visa Signature.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:22 am
formerly mattrendell27

Originally Posted by 1DJonas
I was approved for 10,000 and still got a Platinum card. So unlike Citi and the rest, they have special criteria for you to meet to get a Visa Signature.
Interesting. Well I guess as long as they do in fact issue Platinum cards then there is hope. Did you have an existing relationship with WF? and if i did have to open a checking account to establish a relationship with WF i wonder how long the checking account would have to be open before they would approve a credit card?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by cbender49
After my second ACH transfer into my new WF checking account I notice it's limited to $6K in bank-to-bank transfers every 30 days. Does anyone know if initiating the transfer from another bank and pushing the money to WF checking will circumvent that limit? I don't live near a WF branch, so ACH is the only way to get the funds into the account quickly. Maybe I could mail a check, but that sounds like it would take forever...

The mobile app is also limited to $2,500 daily and $5K monthly deposits and seems to have it's own suite of problems when trying to actually use it.

Any thoughts from the group?
Yes, push from outside works.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Yes, push from outside works.
but as others mention, those funds take awhile to get to WF (usually 2-5 business days) and then, from my experience, WF will not release your CL even after they receive payment, sometimes not until another 2-7 days have passed. This has been my experience using Serve.

WF checking is immediate, almost instant, but then again, you're eating where you sh*t. If you are comfortable with that then eat away. If I had to do this whole 6 mo thing over, I would probably just do MO and deposit all to WF and take that risk that questions might be asked and accounts shut down. The $$$ potential might be worth it.

I've also linked my BofA account to my WF account and paid that way. Limit was $5k paid doing it that way and that ended up being somewhat delayed, not as bad as using Serve, but still annoying.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnChop
If I had to do this whole 6 mo thing over, I would probably just do MO and deposit all to WF and take that risk that questions might be asked and accounts shut down.
I don't get that advice. MO are meant to pay bills. Simply take MO into Wells Fargo branch and apply to your credit card account. That way, you avoid the issue of putting it in your checking. I do this both for this card, and my Wells Fargo Home Mortgage and it is exactly how MO are supposed to be used.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I don't get that advice. MO are meant to pay bills. Simply take MO into Wells Fargo branch and apply to your credit card account. That way, you avoid the issue of putting it in your checking. I do this both for this card, and my Wells Fargo Home Mortgage and it is exactly how MO are supposed to be used.
This might work for small MSing. Churning CL means having to go into the branch multiple times a week to pay off the CC with MOs. That's a recipe for disaster, as most "normal" people aren't paying off their CC that frequently and will invite questions and scrutiny. As many have mentioned before, although we are doing nothing wrong, inviting more eyes to your account(s) increases the risk of being shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.