FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

littlewinglet Apr 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by acefspadez (Post 24674072)
Just had the card for couple of days and it is already pissing me off. All my Large transactions keep getting declined. I even called in before I went to load my Redcard and it would still be declined. Called Wells Fargo to release the transaction, it goes through but try to load the card once more and it was declined. Called customer service to release and this time it was declined again. How long will this be going on for until my purchases go through with no problems? Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Lately every time I get a decline, I swipe again and it goes through the 2nd time. Not sure if it has to do with me having the card for 5 months, or it's a new feature. I stopped having constant alerts after the first month or two.

LiarsDice Apr 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 24673596)
Don't believe them.

I had the same thing happen with me. I got the application department to verify to me twice that I would qualify for the 5%. However, after getting the card, it was not applying. After many calls and "cases" being opened, the rewards department told me I did not qualify because I had a WF card open from years ago (that I haven't used for years). I was pretty mad and told them this was a bait and switch.

The rewards department person said the sales and credit card department people keep telling people the wrong information about qualifying.

IME application departments, put bluntly, are morons. I cringe when I'm forced to speak to anyone in that department of any company, because you know they're incompetent and outsourced minimum wage earning employees. The email below was sent directly from my WF bank/cc online portal.

Had another response about their prior email. Here it is:

I appreciate you taking the time to email us back with a follow up
concern about applying for a Visa Signature Card. I am happy to provide
you with further information and assistance regarding this matter.

Also, I am sorry that I was not able to reach you at the preferred
number you provided us in your account profile. You may have received
the message I left on your voicemail.

If you apply for a Visa Signature Credit Card and for any unknown reason
the 5%, 6 month cash back isn't automatically added to the card, it can
be manually added so there is zero risk
in your using a hard pull/credit
inquiry when applying.
Having this in writing has me leaning towards applying. If they feed me bull, I'll have to keep the wheel squeaking until they do something to fix it since I have their response in writing that explicitly informs me of manually adding the promotion.

MG49 Apr 19, 2015 1:44 am

Just adding a data point on payments because it definitely does vary between people's accounts. Made a $4800 payment request on 4/15 from my RB account. Payment posted on 4/17 and available credit was there by 4/18.

Not sure why many people are having long delays with external payments.

BigRedBears Apr 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Does one need any previous accounts with WF to apply for WF Visa card?

coltonatx Apr 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Why do people not put some cash in their WF checking accounts and send the payment directly?
You're risking getting yourself in trouble if you're so broke you can't set aside a few thousand dollars for payments when playing this game.

wise2u Apr 19, 2015 12:42 pm

to some people this isn't a game, it's a job.... those people don't have the money to float and have to cycle things carefully to avoid an interest payment that would ruin things for them.....and some people are hogs that do more than they should, or can afford.....working with 2 redbirds and a 13k CL I have run my monthly limit up and paid the bill without ever buying a MO.

coltonatx Apr 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u (Post 24688433)
to some people this isn't a game, it's a job.... those people don't have the money to float and have to cycle things carefully to avoid an interest payment that would ruin things for them.....and some people are hogs that do more than they should, or can afford.....working with 2 redbirds and a 13k CL I have run my monthly limit up and paid the bill without ever buying a MO.

I met one of those people last week. He was very proud of not working a job in a couple of years & surviving selling miles & using cash back CCs. His world seemed to be falling apart because his OBCs have been closed & WF shut him down as well. I don't feel sorry for such people.

littlewinglet Apr 19, 2015 3:07 pm

For me it's a lucrative part time job, and I have a ton of money to float. That's the best way to play this game. I have 2x my CL in the WF checking account so I don't have to struggle to clear out GCs on the spot and can batch it out into 2-3 big trips a week.

xp0 Apr 19, 2015 6:11 pm

If you are doing this full time you should have a lot of money and money to float unless you are bad at it, and if that is the case, you shouldnt be doing it full time.

If you do not have endless funds to float/spend/pay/recycle then you are not doing this correctly.

ibleed0range Apr 21, 2015 1:29 pm

As someone else mentioned if this is your job you should have plenty of money to work with. Your severely limiting yourself without money orders. No one cares that you max out 2 redcards a month with WF. You could be making way more money. You can cycle your CL to your hearts content. I wish you would loan me your card and I'll give you a cut of the profits.

ChurnChop Apr 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range (Post 24699150)
As someone else mentioned if this is your job you should have plenty of money to work with. Your severely limiting yourself without money orders. No one cares that you max out 2 redcards a month with WF. You could be making way more money. You can cycle your CL to your hearts content. I wish you would loan me your card and I'll give you a cut of the profits.

Money orders are hard to come by (via gift card) in many areas. For me, all my used to be stops have eliminated that option. Only one supermarket now allows me to buy them. I don't think there is any wrong kind of spend. It depends on the person alone. Now if there was no risk involved giving you someone else's card to spend on, a cut of the profits would be good. Convice others you are trustworthy with their credit card and $100,000 spend a month and you've got yourself a business.

MountainManDuy Apr 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Man, I should have come to FT before signing up for the WF Cash Back Rewards card, since I had a WF platinum card from 10 years ago (college day). Sigh 1% so sad.

groundhog Apr 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by MountainManDuy (Post 24729138)
Man, I should have come to FT before signing up for the WF Cash Back Rewards card, since I had a WF platinum card from 10 years ago (college day). Sigh 1% so sad.

Have you closed your platinum card before applying?

coltonatx Apr 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by MountainManDuy (Post 24729138)

This freaking blows!! I'm using my partner's account and never applied for it because I have a WF platinum card from 15 years ago, which is my oldest card and is open

MountainManDuy Apr 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Nope I have not closed it. However, I have not used that card for sometime. They said they will cancel it if I do not reply to them this June.