Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 26, 14, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tech2011 View Post
Yesterday evening couple of txn were not approved at 2 different grocery stores. No fraud call or block on the account. What could be the issue.
I've had this happen every once in a while too. When I called they just put a pre-notification on the account for the amount of the transaction and the next time I tried it it worked fine and from that point forward. No real explanation other than this is WF and is part of the annoyance/privilege of having this card.
Old Nov 26, 14, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 View Post
I've had this happen every once in a while too. When I called they just put a pre-notification on the account for the amount of the transaction and the next time I tried it it worked fine and from that point forward. No real explanation other than this is WF and is part of the annoyance/privilege of having this card.
Thanks for the info. I will call them before going tomorrow. I have back-up amex bc which never had issues. But I am bit scared to use after latest shutdowns.
Old Nov 27, 14, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
Can anyone clarify if there is any delay from when an account is opened before the 4x bonus information is shown on the mywellsfargorewards.com page. I opened my account a couple of weeks ago and have made several qualifying purchases at grocery stores; however, there is no mention of any bonus under the "promotional offers - usage" tab and the activity tab only shows "base earning".
Old Nov 27, 14, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by ukguy78 View Post
Can anyone clarify if there is any delay from when an account is opened before the 4x bonus information is shown on the mywellsfargorewards.com page. I opened my account a couple of weeks ago and have made several qualifying purchases at grocery stores; however, there is no mention of any bonus under the "promotional offers - usage" tab and the activity tab only shows "base earning".
It should start showing up a day or two after the purchases. The only things I can think of are either the store is not being coded as a grocery purchase, or you already have existing WF cc accounts and you're not eligible for the 5%.
Old Dec 3, 14, 6:16 pm

Trying to understand the process of successfully going over your CL. I have a $10,000 CL on the card. 1st month did just under $10k.

From what I understand many will pay off the balance multiple times during the month to recycle or renew the line. They technically will not go over the line at any one time but will spend more than the line over the course of a month, such as doing 30,000 total on a 10,000 CL.

My question is have any of you gone over your CL (before paying it down) and if so at what point has WF blocked you from doing any more transactions? Hypothetical example: $10k CL, charged $14k, WF said no more - or - $10k, charged 10,001 and WF said no more.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnChop View Post
Trying to understand the process of successfully going over your CL. I have a $10,000 CL on the card. 1st month did just under $10k.

From what I understand many will pay off the balance multiple times during the month to recycle or renew the line. They technically will not go over the line at any one time but will spend more than the line over the course of a month, such as doing 30,000 total on a 10,000 CL.

My question is have any of you gone over your CL (before paying it down) and if so at what point has WF blocked you from doing any more transactions? Hypothetical example: $10k CL, charged $14k, WF said no more - or - $10k, charged 10,001 and WF said no more.
I've never heard of such a thing where they block you for charging more than your CL in a month. Obviously you should go over your CL in one transaction. I think 99% of people are cycling every month.
Old Dec 7, 14, 6:53 pm

anyone using this card to load RC at Target that's coded as grocery?
Old Dec 8, 14, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
anyone using this card to load RC at Target that's coded as grocery?
Yes.
Old Dec 8, 14, 8:17 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by gm9928 View Post
Yes.
And it gave 5X as planned, correct?
Old Dec 8, 14, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT View Post
And it gave 5X as planned, correct?
Yep. No reports yet of these transactions at Target being coded as cash advance, for any card.
Old Dec 9, 14, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by michael160 View Post
It should start showing up a day or two after the purchases. The only things I can think of are either the store is not being coded as a grocery purchase, or you already have existing WF cc accounts and you're not eligible for the 5%.
I see mine in the rewards but they are still listed as pending.

how long does it take to go from pending to available?
Old Dec 9, 14, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
I see mine in the rewards but they are still listed as pending.

how long does it take to go from pending to available?
usually the day after your statement closes the rewards are available. My statement closed 12/7 and rewards were available to redeem 12/8 at night.
Old Dec 12, 14, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Payment Methods

A few questions:

Does WF checking take MO deposits via ATM? Any issues or constraints?

If WF checking is the best means of paying, what is the best means of feeding WF checking?

I was confused in the thread whether WM bill pay or BB were ok or would trigger the 14 day clearance hold.

PMs gratefully accepted.

I'm going to get the card soon in the belief their Jan 15 changes have no teeth. If a company like WF starts looking into folks pharmacy charges they're gonna have real problems with Visa and regulators.

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 14, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid View Post
A few questions:

If WF checking is the best means of paying, what is the best means of feeding WF checking?

I was confused in the thread whether WM bill pay or BB were ok or would trigger the 14 day clearance hold.

PMs gratefully accepted.

I'm going to get the card soon in the belief their Jan 15 changes have no teeth. If a company like WF starts looking into folks pharmacy charges they're gonna have real problems with Visa and regulators.

Thanks.
A $4,400 payment to BB triggered a 14 day hold last month for me. I'm not going to use bluebird to pay this card in the future because of this. I deposit MO at another bank and then write checks to the WF checking account and then transfer the money within WF.
Old Dec 13, 14, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid View Post
A few questions:

PMs gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
Hi bud,

The game continues in Cinci! WF allows MO deposits via mobile app, but limited to $1k per deposit daily and $3k or so monthly first couple months. Even after the honeymoon period is over, deposit limit is very low via this avenue, ACH in is going to be your best option.

Noone knows what 1/15 will bring, but I will say their fraud department is hyperactive. Also, as you know, WF doesn't service our area, so hopefully you have a previous account with them already set up. Approval for the card is highly contingent on WF's famous "previous relationship" criteria.

Lastly, companies make decisions on their customers at their will. Arguing HIPAA is unlikely to be a good shield as seen with the recent shutdowns by Amex, and in my experience USBank.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: